Jack Sim (simplified Chinese: 沈锐华; traditional Chinese: 沈銳華; pinyin: Shěn Ruìhuá) is the founder of the Restroom Association of Singapore, the World Toilet Organization, the World Toilet Day initiative and Bottom of the Pyramid (BoP) Hub. Formerly from the construction industry, he decided to devote the rest of his life to social work after attaining financial independence at the age of 40.
In 2001, for "creating good will and bringing the subject into the open" and "mobilizing national support in providing on-the-ground expertise" he received the Schwab Foundation award for Social Entrepreneur of the Year. In 2007, Jack was elected a Fellow of Ashoka: Innovators for the Public, and also became one of the key members to convene the Sustainable Sanitation Alliance which is composed of key players in the sanitation space.
Achievements in sanitation
He established the Restroom Association of Singapore (RAS) in 1998, which addresses the state of dirty public toilets in designs, building codes and poorly trained cleaners.
World Toilet Organization
Realising the need for a global body on the subject, Jack created the World Toilet Organization (WTO) in 2001 as a global network and service platform for toilet associations, academia, government, UN agencies and toilet stakeholders to learn from one another and leverage media and corporate support that in turn influenced governments to promote sound sanitation and public health policies.
Since its inception, WTO organised 15 World Toilet Summits and two World Toilet Expo and Forum straddling Singapore, Seoul, Taipei, Beijing, Belfast, Moscow, New Delhi, Macau, Shanghai, Bangkok, Philadelphia, Durban (South Africa), Hainan China and Solo Indonesia. Today, WTO is a growing network of 235 organisations in 58 countries.
World Toilet Day
World Toilet Organization declared its founding day 19 November in 2001, as World Toilet Day and this is now celebrated worldwide each year towards improving the state of toilets and sanitation globally. In 2013, all 193 countries of the UN General Assembly unanimously adopted 19 November as the official UN World Toilet Day.
- 2011: Founder, Base of the Pyramid Hub
- 2005: Founder, World Toilet College
- 2001: Founder, World Toilet Organization
- 1996 – 2006: Founder & President, Restroom Association
- 1993 – 2003: Investor & Founding Partner, Australian International School, Singapore
- 1992: Founder & Director, TBF Sdn. Bhd
- 1986 – 1997: Founded group of real estate development companies: Nest Development Pte Ltd; Nest Land Pte Ltd; Nest Realty Pte Ltd; Very Useful Ideas Pte Ltd; Terrazorium Pte Ltd
- 1986: Founder, Maybricks Sdn. Bhd
- 1984 – 2004: Founder & CEO, BESCO Building Supplies (SEA) Pte Ltd. Singapore
- 1983 – 1984: Director, Dalton-Sitraplast Building Supplies Pte Ltd
- 1979 – 1982: Site-Supervisor & Sales Engineer, Diethelm Singapore
- Professional Diploma in Real Estate Marketing, Singapore Institute of Surveyor & Valuers, Singapore
- Post-Graduate Diploma in International Marketing, Strathclyde University, Scotland
- Diploma in Business Administration, National Productivity Board, Singapore
- Master in Public Administration, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, Singapore
- The Global Solution Program, Singularity University, Nasa, San Francisco
Awards and appointments
- 2016: Awarded President's Award for Volunteerism and/or Philanthropy (Adult), Singapore 
- 2015: Appointed as Co-convenor of India’s Swachh Andhra Pradesh Initiative 
- 2014: TedxSalford: Jack Sim spoke at the TEDxSalford conference in October 
- 2014: Appointed Samoa Village Chief
- 2012: First Synergos Senior Fellow from Singapore, New York 
- 2011: Made commitment at the Clinton Global Initiatives
- 2011: Reader’s Digest Magazine named him Asian of the Year
- 2009: Channel News Asia named him Asian of the Year
- 2008: Appointed to the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council for Water Security and the GAC for Social Entrepreneurship
- 2008: Named Hero of the Environment by Time Magazine.
- 2008: Asian Development Bank named him an ADB Water Champion
- 2007: First Singaporean elected to be an Ashoka Global Fellow 
- 2006: Recipient of Schwab Foundation's (Switzerland) of Social Entrepreneur of the Year Award 
- 2004: Recipient of Ministry of Environment's Green Plan 2012 Award
- "Jack Sim | Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship". www.schwabfound.org. Retrieved 2017-04-05.
- Beech, Hannah (24 September 2008). "Jack Sim". Time. Retrieved 31 October 2009.
- "https://www.nvpc.org.sg/pvpa_stories". www.nvpc.org.sg. Retrieved 2017-04-05. External link in
- "Andhra Pradesh Collaborates With World Toilet Organisation for Sanitation Project". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2017-04-05.
- "TEDxSalford | TED.com". www.ted.com. Retrieved 2017-04-05.
- "Senior Fellow: Jack Sim". www.synergos.org. Retrieved 2017-04-05.
- "Jack Sim | Ashoka.org". www.ashoka.org. Retrieved 2017-04-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jack Sim.|