Jackie (2010 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Duniya Soori|
|Produced by||Parvathamma Rajkumar|
|Written by||Duniya Soori|
|Music by||V. Harikrishna|
|Edited by||Deepu S. Kumar|
Jackie is a 2010 Indian multilingual film directed by Soori and features Kannada actor Puneet Rajkumar and Bhavana Menon in the lead roles. It was released in Kannada on 14 October 2010 to a critical acclaim and was adjudged the Best Film of 2010 at the South Filmfare Awards. Dubbed Telugu version was released on 6 May 2011 while Malayalam version release date is yet to be announced.
The film is noted for its technical prowess, witty dialogs and lyrics, combined with an art that has become a trademark of Soori's rustic feel cinema. Music was composed by V. Harikrishna with Yograj Bhat as the lyricist for all the songs in Kannada. The album, which celebrated its platinum disc, is also available as a 5.1 audio DVD disc. After successful screening in Australia, United Kingdom and Germany, Jackie was released in the USA and Singapore in February 2011.
Janakirama alias Jackie (Puneet Rajakumar) is an 8th standard living with his mother Jayamma who operates a flour mill in a village. Jackie is a guy who dreams of making it big; but not by hard work. He is an expert card player and thinks he can repay all his debts with earnings from it. He does every job and hopes he would one day make it big as a realtor. He is talkative and uses the opportunities around him to eke out a living. In the locality where he lives, a priest's daughter Yashodha (Harshika Poonacha), is in love with a photo studio owner who is actually a conduit for a human trafficker and asks Jackie to help her get married. Jackie initially tries to help but when the priest questions him, he decides to cop out of the issue respecting the aged father's feelings.
Losing all hope, Yashodha elopes with her lover, along with a blind girl(fiction). The priest is under the impression that Jackie is the mediator in this case. So it becomes responsibility of Jackie to trace Yashodha and the blind girl. Meanwhile, Jackie is followed by police as he has sheltered a friend who has fled from the prison and a cop is killed during the escapade. In the dense forest, he averts a ritual of human sacrifice where Lakshmi (Bhavana Menon) is the intended victim. The trouble shoots up for Jackie again as even the wrong-doers are chasing him now. As he lands up in Bengaluru, he finds out that the blind girl who went with Yashodha is dead. He gets a clue of Prasanna alias Jooli when he becomes friendly to constable Bheemanna (Rangayana Raghu) which leads to suspicious activities of a gang transporting girls to abroad in oil tankers, headed by Mithai Rama (Ravi Kale). Jackie is on the hunt for the dangerous team and as the police from other part also follow Jackie, it is where the cinema finds a happy-ending climax.
With a budget of ₹8 crores, the production of the film started on 3 March at Kantheerava Studio and took place for 95 days in Bengaluru, Mysore, Italy and Namibia. The film is the home production of Dr. Rajkumar’s family under the banner of Poornima Enterprises. Jackie is Puneet’s 15th film and his first with Duniya Soori. The film saw the debut of Malayalam actress Bhavana in Kannada language films.
Director Soori, who is known for maintaining his script and characters a secret, had earlier revealed that the film is about how life takes a turn for Jackie and the way he faces the challenges and added that the film will be different from Puneet’s earlier films. Soori, however, was initially "scared" to be directing a Puneet Rajkumar flick just because of the enormous expectations from the audience. SnorriCam has been used extensively in the film's song and stunt sequences giving it a point-of-view feel.
- Puneet Rajkumar as Janakirama alias Jackie
- Bhavana Menon as Lakshmi
- Harshika Poonacha as Yashodha
- Rangayana Raghu as Meese Bheemanna
- Raju Thalikote as a matrimonial agent
- Shobharaj as Police Superintendent
- Ravi Kale as Mithai Rama
- Sumithramma as Jackie's mother – Jayamma
- Petrol Prasanna as Prasanna alias Jooli
- Bullet Prakash
- M. S. Umesh
- Honnavalli Krishna as a chicken seller (guest role)
Director Soori, Kannada lyricist Yograj Bhat and music director V. Harikrishna appear on-screen during the title track of the film.
Jackie, received an opening unprecedented in Kannada film industry after it was purchased by distributors at astronomical prices many days before the film's release. Jackie was released on 14 October 2010 in over 160 theaters all over Karnataka apart from 4 in Tamil Nadu and a 3 multiplex in Hyderabad. The film, which was initially slated for a late September release, was later postponed to October owing to pending work on digital grading.
Jackie was released overseas by Bevin Exports in the countries of Australia, UK, Singapore, Germany, US, Dubai and New Zealand among others. The same firm had earlier released other Kannada blockbusters like Mungaaru Male and Aramane worldwide. The global distribution will be on a 50:50 sharing between Poornima Enterprises and Bevin Exports.
It was screened in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth on 7 November where it was well received by the audience which also consisted of non-Kannadigas. Similar reception was reported in Germany where screening took place in mid-December. In the UK, it was screened in the months of November and December in association with Gandhadagudi Movies Team. The film was part of the Indian Melbourne Film Festival on 29 Dec. In USA, Jackie was released in a phase-wise manner from 2nd week of Jan 2011. In its first phase, screening was held in San Francisco and Bay Area. In the next phase, the film was screened in Los Angeles, New Jersey, Dallas and Houston. In Singapore, it was screened on 6 March 2011.
Jackie was well received by critics. It was given 3.5/5 rating by Times of India with a consensus that "the brilliant narration keeps one hooked to the seat from the beginning to the end. The story is not only entertaining but quick-paced too, with expressive and punchy dialogues." The technical team consisting of award-winning cinematographer Sathya Hegde, art director Shashidhar Adapa, stuntmen Ravi Verma and Different Danny, spearheaded by Soori, won accolades from fans and critics alike, as did the performance of Puneet Rajkumar playing the protagonist Jackie "who has outdone himself playing the character that's rustic and local, yet charming and suave" – according to DNA India review.
|Soundtrack album by V. Harikrishna|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
Jackie Kannada soundtrack was released in the month of August 2010. In a first of its kind, audio was simultaneously released over Bluetooth by a Bengaluru-based company called TELiBrahma. TELiBrahma developed an exclusive mobile application for the film and distributed it across about 100 of its proprietary technology called BluFi locations in Bengaluru. Considered a success, this campaign resulted in nearly 55,000 downloads in 16 days.
Overall, the commercial reception of the album was successful with 20,000 audio CDs being sold on the first day. The music album was released again on a 5.1 Audio DVD during platinum disc celebration on 27 December 2010.
|1||Shiva Antha Hogutidde||Tippu|
|2||Eradu Jadeyannu||Sonu Nigam, Shreya Ghoshal|
|3||Ekka Raja Rani||Kailash Kher|
|4||Edavatt Aytu||Puneet Rajkumar, Priya Himesh|
|5||Jackie Jackie||Naveen Madhav|
The soundtrack of the film created quite a stir before the audio release when the song "Ekka Raja Rani" was leaked on YouTube. This song, though unfinished, became quite popular with listeners.
|1||Ekka Raja Rani||Tippu||Yograj Bhat|
Telugu version audio release was held on 26 February 2011 at Hotel Daspalla in Hyderabad with Telugu film personalities Allu Arjun and Akkineni Nageswara Rao as chief guests. Bhuvana Chandra, Vennelakanti and Vanamali have composed the Telugu lyrics.
|1||Sivaletti Pothunnanu||Tippu||Bhuvana Chandra|
|2||Jadalo Virajajey||Rakhi, Harini||Vennelakanti|
|3||Aasu Raju Rani||Murali||Vennelakanti|
|4||Kissu Missu||Tippu, Veena Ghantasala||Vennelakanti|
- Action packed ‘Jackie’ now in Telugu. cinefundas.com. 4 March 2011
- "Puneet's 'Jackie' release on May 6". IndiaGlitz. 2 May 2011. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- Sandalwood’s super run – Jackie. Dnaindia.com (20 February 2011). Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- ‘Jackie’ after ‘Prithvi’ – Puneeth. Indiaglitz.com (6 October 2009). Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- Puneet’s Jackie gets rave reviews from critics
- The glitter, the gloss, the razzmatazz – South Filmfare Awards. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (3 July 2011). Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- Shivkamal, Aravind G. (25 January 2011) Jackie in Telugu, Malayalam. Southscope.in. Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- "Jackie Telugu From April 8th". Chitraloka.com. Retrieved on 8 March 2014.
- Jackie – Puneeth is Peerless ‘Jackie’ is Excellent. Indiaglitz.com (14 October 2010). Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- Jackie Platinum Disc Celebration. Chitraloka.com. Retrieved on 8 March 2014.
- Jackie in California – Showtimes. Nowrunning.com (15 October 2010). Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- Jackie team has now gone to South Africa to shoot the songs. Thebollywoodactress.com. Retrieved on 8 March 2014.
- Bhavana all excited about the film Jackie. Entertainment.oneindia.in (23 August 2010). Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- Duniya Suri scared to direct Puneet Rajkumar. Entertainment.oneindia.in (30 November 2009). Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- Jackie Team: On-Screen. jackiethemovie.com
- [dead link][dead link]
- Jackie Release In October. Chitraloka.com. Retrieved on 8 March 2014.
- "Jackie To Be Released On 23rd September". Film My Friday. 3 August 2010. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- Jackie to release overseas on Karnataka Rajyotsava. Entertainment.oneindia.in (20 October 2010). Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- 'Jackie' World Wide Release. Supergoodmovies.com (28 October 2010). Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- 'Jackie' goes to Germany. Bharatstudent.com (24 December 2010). Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- Jackie Screeing in UK. Videogirmit.com. Retrieved on 8 March 2014.
- Indian Melbourne Film Festival Program Schedule. imff.com.au
- Jackie In Singapore. Chitraloka.com. Retrieved on 8 March 2014.
- Times of India Jackie review. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved on 8 March 2014.
- Shekhar, By. (14 October 2010) Jackie – Movie Review – Oneindia Entertainment. Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- DNA India review – Jackie: What a Story![dead link]
- Jackie wins big at Suvarna Awards 2011. Cinecurry.com (30 June 2011). Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- 'Jackie' Songs and Clips via Mobile. Supergoodmovies.com (21 August 2010). Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- Going gaga over Puneet!. Movies.rediff.com (7 September 2010). Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- TELiBrahma Newsletter – Jackie Movie Audio Launches on Mobile via BluFi. telibrahma.com. September 2010.
- Jackie Audio sales. Chitraloka.com. Retrieved on 8 March 2014.
- Hooli, Shekhar. (9 August 2010) Song from Jackie leaked on YouTube?. Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- ‘Jackie’ set for new records!. Indiaglitz.com (19 August 2010). Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- Jackie Telugu Audio Release. Supergoodmovies.com (26 February 2011). Retrieved on 2014-03-08.
- Jackie Telugu. Raaga.com. Retrieved on 8 March 2014.