10 September 1954
St Pancras, London, England
|Education||St Anne's College, Oxford|
|Spouse(s)||Andrew Marr (m. 1987)|
|Children||1 son and 2 daughters|
|Relatives||Jack Ashley, Baron Ashley of Stoke (father, deceased)|
Ashley was born in St Pancras, London, England. She is the daughter of Jack Ashley, Baron Ashley of Stoke (1922–2012), a former Labour Party politician. Her mother was Pauline Kay Ashley (née Crispin; 1932–2003).
She was educated at Rosebery Grammar School for Girls, a grammar school in Epsom, Surrey. She went on to study Philosophy, Politics and Economics at St Anne's College, University of Oxford. She was a member of the Oxford University Broadcasting Society.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
She has been a television news reporter and newspaper journalist, writing for the New Statesman and The Guardian. She specializes in the Labour Party, the media, politics, public services, trade unions and women's issues. She was broadly a supporter of Gordon Brown's government.
Having graduated from university, she spent two years, from 1979-81, as a trainee with the BBC. She was a producer and newsreader on Newsnight from 1981-84. Then, from 1984-86, she was a reporter on TV-am, and a producer and reporter on Channel 4. She moved to ITN in 1986, where she was a political correspondent. She then moved from television to journalism, and was political editor of the New Statesman from 2000-02. Since 2002, she has been a columnist and political interviewer for The Guardian.
Jackie Ashley married fellow journalist Andrew Marr in Surrey in 1987; they live in west London. The couple have a son and two daughters. Ashley took nine months leave in 2013 to care for her husband after Marr suffered a stroke.
- "Ms Jackie Ashley Authorised Biography | Debrett's People of Today". debretts.co.uk. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- "findmypast.co.uk". search.findmypast.co.uk. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- Sally Weale "Journalist Jackie Ashley takes over as president of Lucy Cavendish College", The Guardian, 21 November 2014
- Women in tech is main focus of new Lucy Cavendish College president Jackie Ashley, Cambridge News, 21 October 2015
- Vallely, Paul (14 May 2005). "Andrew Marr: relentless rise of Renaissance man". The Independent. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- Jackie Ashley's articles in The Guardian
- Jackie Ashley on Twitter
- Jackie Ashley at the Internet Movie Database
|This article about a British journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|