Jackie Burns is an American actress working in musical theater.
Early life and education
Born October 4, Burns grew up in Middletown and Ivoryton of Connecticut and graduated from University of Connecticut in 2002 with a degree in theatre.
From July 2010 to June 2011 Burns starred as Elphaba in the first national tour of Wicked (Irene nomination for Best Performance), opposite Chandra Lee Schwartz and later Amanda Jane Cooper as Glinda. Following her departure from the tour, Burns reprised the role of Elphaba in the Broadway production, replacing Teal Wicks on September 27, 2011. Burns was initially reunited with her former tour co-star Chandra Lee Schwartz as Glinda, and was later paired with Alli Mauzey. She was succeeded as Elphaba by International star Willemijn Verkaik.
Burns recently appeared in the Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey musical "If/Then" as the standby for Elizabeth (Idina Menzel). The musical, directed by Michael Greif, had its world premiere at the National Theatre in Washington D.C., starting with previews on November 5, 2013, and an official opening on November 24, 2013 before transferring to Richard Rodgers Theatre on Broadway, which began previews on March 4, 2014 and opened on March 30, 2014. Burns' first performance as Elizabeth occurred on May 14, 2014, following intermission (due to Menzel feeling very sick during the show's first act). The next three days, Burns went on the full show. If/Then closed on March 22, 2015.
On January 27, 2016, Burns joined the National Tour of If/Then as the full-time Elizabeth replacing Menzel (who played the first 7 cities) in Dallas, Texas. She stayed with the production for the remainder of the run.
On July 31, 2017, Burns returned to the role of Elphaba in the Broadway production of Wicked for an entire year. She played her final performance on July 14, 2018 and succeeded by Jessica Vosk. Burns currently holds the title of "Broadway's Longest Running Elphaba".
- If/Then - Elizabeth (Standby) (March 4, 2014 - March 22, 2015)
- Wicked - Elphaba (replacement) (September 27, 2011 - Feb. 10, 2013, July 31, 2017 - July 14, 2018)
- Hair - Member of Black Boys Tribe, Sheila (u/s), Jeanie (u/s), assistant dance captain (2009-2010, Broadway Revival)
- Rock of Ages - Swing, Regina (u/s), Justice (u/s) (2008-2009, Original Off-Broadway Production)
- Unlock'd (2013)
- Wicked - Elphaba (replacement) (July 2010-June 2011, November 2018-January 2019)
- If/Then - Elizabeth Vaughan (replacement) (January 27, 2016 - August 14, 2016)
- All My Children, 1 episode
- The Late Show with David Letterman, Tribe Member, 1 episode, 2009
- Show People with Paul Wontorek, Guest, 1 episode, 2012
- Hey Kid: Backstage at If/Then with James Snyder, Herself, 2 episodes, 2014
- Set it Up (2018)
- The Magnificent Meyersons (2019)
- Connecticut Critics Circle Award for Best Actress (won)
- IRNE Award for Best Actress in a Musical for Wicked (nominated)
- HAIR. "2009 Tony Award Winners". The New York Times. Retrieved May 4, 2009.
- "Burns, Kiyan, Lewis, Reinking and Sengbloh Cast in Broadway Revival of Hair". Playbill. 28 January 2009. Archived from the original on 13 November 2013. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- Rock of Ages; John Willis, Ben Hodges (December 2008). Theatre World: 2007-2008. Hal Leonard Corporation. p. 152. ISBN 9781423473695.
- "UConn's Jackie Burns Is New Elphaba in Broadway's "Wicked"". Hartford Courant. September 30, 2011. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- Wicked Tour Will Welcome Jackie Burns July 8
- Jackie Burns & Chandra Lee Schwartz to Bewitch WICKED as 'Elphaba', 'Glinda' on Broadway Beginning Sept. 27
- "Jackie Burns on Being Mistaken for Idina, Learning to Love Blazers & Taking Center Stage in If/Then". Broadway.com. November 8, 2014. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- "It's a Sign! Jackie Burns, Tamyra Gray & Matthew Hydzik Will Join Anthony Rapp in If/Then Tour". Broadway.com. December 7, 2015. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- "Jackie Burns, Amanda Jane Cooper, and Ashley Parker Angel Will Fly Into Broadway's Wicked". Playbill. July 12, 2017. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- "Jessica Vosk Flies Into Broadway's Wicked July 16". Playbill. July 16, 2018. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Jackie Burns and Kara Lindsay To Lead WICKED in Los Angeles". Broadway World. October 9, 2018. Retrieved January 20, 2019.