|Born||October 4, 1980|
|Alma mater||University of Connecticut (B.A.)|
Jackie Burns (born October 4, 1980) is an American actress best known for her work in musical theatre.
Early life and education
From July 8, 2010 to June 5, 2011, Burns starred as Elphaba in the first national tour of Wicked, alongside Chandra Lee Schwartz and Amanda Jane Cooper as Glinda. Following her departure from the tour, Burns reprised the role of Elphaba in the Broadway production, replacing Teal Wicks on September 27, 2011. Burns was initially reunited with her former tour co-star Chandra Lee Schwartz as Glinda, and was later paired with Alli Mauzey. Her last performance was scheduled to be on February 10, 2013, however she was unable to perform due to illness. (Due to this, Donna Vivino went on for her, resulting in one of the most widespread bootlegs of the show.) She was succeeded as Elphaba by Dutch theatre star Willemijn Verkaik, the only actress to play Elphaba in 3 languages.
Burns recently appeared in the Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey musical If/Then as the standby for Elizabeth (Idina Menzel). The musical, directed by Michael Greif, had its world premiere at the National Theatre in Washington D.C., starting with previews on November 5, 2013, and an official opening on November 24, 2013 before transferring to Richard Rodgers Theatre on Broadway, which began previews on March 4, 2014 and opened on March 30, 2014. Burns' first performance as Elizabeth occurred on May 14, 2014, following intermission (due to Menzel feeling very sick during the show's first act). The next three days, Burns went on the full show. If/Then closed on March 22, 2015.
On January 27, 2016, Burns joined the national tour of If/Then as the full-time Elizabeth replacing Menzel (who played the first 7 cities) in Dallas, Texas. She stayed with the production for the remainder of the run, closing on August 14, 2016.
On July 31, 2017, Burns returned to the role of Elphaba in the Broadway production of Wicked, four and a half years after she had last played the role. She performed opposite former tour co-star Amanda Jane Cooper as Glinda and played her final performance on July 14, 2018. She was succeeded by Jessica Vosk. Burns currently holds the distinction of being Broadway's longest-running Elphaba.
On October 31, 2018, Burns began performances as Elphaba in the second national tour of Wicked, starring opposite Kara Lindsay as Glinda. She performed in San Diego and Los Angeles before playing her final performance in the role to date in Salt Lake City on February 24, 2019. She was succeeded in the role by Mariand Torres.
- If/Then – Elizabeth (Standby) (March 4, 2014 – March 22, 2015)
- Wicked – Elphaba (replacement) (September 27, 2011 – February 10, 2013, July 31, 2017 – July 14, 2018)
- Hair – Member of Black Boys Tribe, Sheila (u/s), Jeanie (u/s), assistant dance captain (2009–2010, Broadway Revival)
- Rock of Ages – Swing, Regina (u/s), Justice (u/s) (2008–2009, Original Off-Broadway Production)
- Unlock'd (2013)
- Wicked – Elphaba (replacement) (July 8, 2010 – June 5, 2011, October 31, 2018 – February 24, 2019)
- If/Then – Elizabeth (replacement) (January 27, 2016 – August 14, 2016)
- All My Children, 1 episode
- The Late Show with David Letterman, Tribe Member, 1 episode, 2009
- Show People with Paul Wontorek, Guest, 1 episode, 2012
- Hey Kid: Backstage at If/Then with James Snyder, Herself, 2 episodes, 2014
- Set it Up (2018)
- The Magnificent Meyersons (2019)
Burns appeared on Episode 3 of comedian, Rick Glassman's (NBC's Undateable) podcast, ‘Take Your Shoes Off’. (2019)
- Connecticut Critics Circle Award for Best Actress (won)
- IRNE Award for Best Actress in a Musical for Wicked (nominated)
- "Jackie Burns – Broadway Cast & Staff | IBDB". www.ibdb.com. Retrieved September 25, 2019.
- "Jackie Burns". New York Theater Guide. October 19, 2017. Retrieved September 25, 2019.
- HAIR. "2009 Tony Award Winners". The New York Times. Retrieved May 4, 2009.
- "Burns, Kiyan, Lewis, Reinking and Sengbloh Cast in Broadway Revival of Hair". Playbill. January 28, 2009. Archived from the original on November 13, 2013. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- Rock of Ages; John Willis, Ben Hodges (December 2008). Theatre World: 2007–2008. Hal Leonard Corporation. p. 152. ISBN 9781423473695.
- "UConn's Jackie Burns Is New Elphaba in Broadway's "Wicked"". Hartford Courant. September 30, 2011. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- Wicked Tour Will Welcome Jackie Burns July 8
- Jackie Burns & Chandra Lee Schwartz to Bewitch WICKED as 'Elphaba', 'Glinda' on Broadway Beginning Sept. 27
- "Jackie Burns on Being Mistaken for Idina, Learning to Love Blazers & Taking Center Stage in If/Then". Broadway.com. November 8, 2014. Retrieved October 14, 2017.
- "It's a Sign! Jackie Burns, Tamyra Gray & Matthew Hydzik Will Join Anthony Rapp in If/Then Tour". Broadway.com. December 7, 2015. Retrieved October 14, 2017.
- "Jackie Burns, Amanda Jane Cooper, and Ashley Parker Angel Will Fly Into Broadway's Wicked". Playbill. July 12, 2017. Retrieved July 12, 2017.
- "Jessica Vosk Flies Into Broadway's Wicked July 16". Playbill. July 16, 2018. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- "Jackie Burns and Kara Lindsay Return to Wicked National Tour October 31". Playbill. October 31. Retrieved July 1. Check date values in: