This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This biographical article is written like a résumé. (March 2017)
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jackie Norris (born 1970) is an American political aide, educator and corporate strategist, she once served as the assistant to President Obama and Chief of Staff to First Lady Michelle Obama.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Norris was born in Ossining, New York and earned a degree in political science from the State University of New York at Geneseo in 1992. She received her secondary teaching certification in 2001 from Iowa State University and a Masters in Political Science from Iowa State University in 2008.
Norris began her career in the office of Congresswoman Louise M. Slaughter (D-NY) in 1992. She later served as Vice President Al Gore’s scheduler and events planner and as Director of Scheduling and Advance for HUD Secretary Andrew Cuomo. In 1998, Norris served as finance director for Governor Tom Vilsack’s gubernatorial campaign in Iowa and as Iowa state political director on Al Gore’s 2000 Presidential campaign.
In 2002, Norris became a classroom teacher for history and government at three high schools in Perry, Ames and Johnston, Iowa, after receiving her secondary education teacher certification from Iowa State University. She is the 2005 award recipient of the James Madison Fellowship, which is awarded to individuals with a desire to become outstanding teachers of the American Constitution at the secondary level. Norris recently stepped down from her 2-year tenure as an adjunct professor at American University.
During the 2008 presidential campaign, Norris was President Barack Obama's Iowa State Director after being his Iowa Senior Advisor during the caucus campaign. Norris served as First Lady Michelle Obama's White House Chief of Staff.
Norris later served as Senior Advisor to the CEO at the Corporation for National and Community Service, to advance the Administration’s work on national and community service and support the implementation of the Serve America Act. Norris recently stepped down as the founding Executive Director of the Points of Light Corporate Institute.
Norris is married to John R. Norris, former Commissioner at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and now Minister Counselor to the USUN in Rome, Italy. Norris has three sons; Hunter, Cole and Sam.
- McBee, Shar (2013-06-03). "You Only Want Me for My Money! Tips for Nonprofits looking for Charity Sponsorship". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2015-04-11.
- Susmann, Herb (2009-02-04). "Geneseo alumna '92 appointed chief of staff for First Lady". The Lamron. Retrieved 2017-06-06.
- "Jackie Norris will speak on women, leadership and service at ISU March 1 - News Service - Iowa State University". www.news.iastate.edu. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Jackie Norris". Washington Post. 2012-07-25. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Obama makes final campaign stop in Des Moines". KCCI News 8. 2012-11-06. Retrieved 2015-04-11.
- Allen, Nia-Malika (2009-06-05). "Michelle's staff shake-up explained". politico.com. Retrieved 2015-04-11.
- "NEWSMAKER: Once indispensable to powerful pols, FERC commissioner navigates power politics". eenews.net. Retrieved 2015-04-11.
- Iowa teacher selected as Michelle Obama Chief of Staff
- Jackie Norris quoted about Points of Light work (Businessweek, Nov 8, 2012)
- Norris leaving the White House
- Jackie Norris quoted about 2016 race (AP, Nov 4, 2012)
- Jackie Norris on the Civic 50 (Nonprofit Times, Nov 9, 2012)
- Interview about the future of volunteering
- A First Lady Who Demands Substance (Washington Post, June 25, 2009)
- Jackie Norris's Points of Light Bio
- Jackie Norris (with Nicole Trimble) on Harnessing the Benefit of Employee Volunteering at Mid-Size Companies
- Jackie Norris: Creating a Standard for Doing Well by Doing Good
- Jackie Norris on "Let's Talk Live" discussing the 2013 National Conference on Volunteering and Service
- Jackie Norris discussing the 2013 National Day of Service
- Volunteer to Get Out of the Box