|Rabbi Dr Jackie Tabick|
Tabick in 2006 (or earlier)
|Position||Convenor of the Reform Movement Beit Din|
|Organisation||Movement for Reform Judaism|
|Born||1948 (age 68–69)
|Spouse||Rabbi Larry Tabick (m. 1975)|
Jacqueline "Jackie" Tabick (born 1948) is a British Reform rabbi. She became Britain's first female rabbi in 1975. She is Convenor of the Movement for Reform Judaism's Beit Din, the first woman in the role.
Early life and training
Born in Dublin, Tabick spent most of her early life in England and grew up in the community of South West Essex & Settlement Reform Synagogue. After reading Medieval History for her degree at University College London, she enrolled at the Leo Baeck College where she completed her rabbinical training. She graduated to become Britain's first female rabbi in 1975.
Starting as the assistant rabbi at West London Synagogue under Rabbi Hugo Gryn, she left in 1998 to become the rabbi of North West Surrey Synagogue. She held this position until July 2013, combining it with her role, since 2012, as the first female Convenor of the Reform Movement's Beit Din. She has previously been the Movement's vice-president and is patron of the Jewish Council for Racial Equality (JCORE). She currently leads services at London's West Central Liberal Synagogue.
Tabick has played a leading role in interfaith initiatives. She is an executive of the Interfaith Network. She was, for many years, chair of the World Congress of Faiths and is now co-president.
She has been married to Rabbi Larry Tabick since 1975. Jackie Tabick became the first woman rabbi to marry a rabbi when she married him. Born in Brooklyn, New York[clarification needed] in 1947, Larry came to England to study at the Leo Baeck College in the early 1970s and is now the rabbi at Shir Hayim in Hampstead. Jackie and he have three children. Jackie became the first woman rabbi to have a child in 1976.
- Rocker, Simon (23 February 2012). "Tabick achieves another first at Reform Beit Din". The Jewish Chronicle. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- "Rabbi Jackie Tabick". The Jewish Chronicle. 23 September 2009 [6 March 2008]. Archived from the original on 21 January 2012. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- "Rabbi Jackie Tabick". North West Surrey Synagogue. Archived from the original on July 26, 2013. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Rabbi Dr Jackie Tabick celebrates 40 years in the rabbinate" (Press release). Movement for Reform Judaism. 16 June 2015. Retrieved 26 June 2015.
- Messik, Louise (24 November 2011). "West London Synagogue of British Jews: Ministers of the Congregation". JCR-UK. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- Forman, Cathy (29 July 2013). "Tabick is bid a warm farewell in Weybridge". The Jewish Chronicle. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "North West Surrey Synagogue says farewell to Rabbi Jackie Tabick". Movement for Reform Judaism. 9 July 2013. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Jackie Tabick: Spiritual leader". TED. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- "Faith groups call for sense of responsibility and interdependence". Positive News. 3 February 2012. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- "Rabbi Jackie Tabick becomes interfaith president" (Press release). Movement for Reform Judaism. 7 May 2013. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- Rebecca Einstein Schorr; Alysa Mendelson Graf (17 May 2016). The Sacred Calling: Four Decades of Women in the Rabbinate. CCAR Press. pp. 1–. ISBN 978-0-88123-280-6.
- "Introducing Rabbi Larry Tabick". Shir Hayim. Retrieved 13 September 2013.