Jackson Galaxy in 2019
April 28, 1966
|Television||My Cat from Hell|
|Spouse(s)||Minoo Rahbar (m. 2014)|
Early life and education
He legally changed his name when he was in his twenties.
Galaxy moved to Boulder, Colorado in 1992 and was a rock musician. He learned cat behavior through his work with rescue cats, originally with the Humane Society of Boulder Valley. After working there and at other animal shelters, he went into private practice as a cat consultant in 2002, co-founding Little Big Cat, Inc., with Dr. Jean Hofve, a holistic veterinarian. Together they provided consultations to cat owners, focusing on the connection between physical and behavioral health.
In 2007, Galaxy moved to Los Angeles, where he re-established a private consulting practice. Working one-on-one with cats in their homes, he works with clients to improve their cats' behavioral issues.
Galaxy also works closely with animal shelters and rescue organizations, teaching his "Cat Mojo" approach to feline behavior to volunteers, staff and adopters and helping with both behavioral and environmental enrichment programs for their feline residents.
He currently serves on the board of directors for Stray Cat Alliance and Fix Nation in Los Angeles as well as the Board of Advisers for Neighborhood Cats in New York City.
Galaxy has appeared as the official cat behaviorist for Game Show Network's Think Like a Cat and as the cat behavior expert on Animal Planet's Cats 101. He has also been featured by such media outlets as 20/20, Extra, The New York Times, USA Today, The Washington Post, the New York Post, and AOL.
Since May 2011, Jackson has starred in My Cat From Hell, a reality TV series produced by Animal Planet in which he helps cat guardians—often couples—resolve conflict and behavioral issues between them and their cats. Since December 2013, he has been host of the web series Cat Mojo on the Animalist Network, where he shares his thoughts on everything from cat-related issues like declawing and use of squirt guns to his craziest behind-the-scenes stories as a cat behaviorist.
Jackson is also the author of bestselling books about cats and a process called "catification" involving creating cat-friendly spaces within a home. In 2012 he published the autobiographical Cat Daddy: What the World's Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love, and Coming Clean.
- with Joel Derfner: Cat Daddy: What the World's Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love, and Coming Clean. New York: Tarcher/Penguin, 2012 ISBN 978-1585429370.
- with Kate Benjamin: Catification: Designing a Happy and Stylish Home for Your Cat (and You!). New York: Tarcher/Penguin, 2014 ISBN 978-0399166013.
- with Kate Benjamin: Catify to Satisfy: Simple Solutions for Creating a Cat-Friendly Home. New York: Tarcher/Penguin, 2015 ISBN 978-0399176999.
- with Mikel Delgado: Total Cat Mojo: The Ultimate Guide to Life with Your Cat. New York: Tarcher/Penguin, 2017 ISBN 978-0143131618.
- Jackson Galaxy – official profile on Twitter. Retrieved February 8, 2020.
- Ulung, A. Kurniawan (August 25, 2015). "Jackson Galaxy: A rocker-styled Cat Daddy". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved August 20, 2019.
- "How a cat saved Animal Planet star Jackson Galaxy's life". Heraldnet.com. Everett, Washington: Everett Herald and Sound Publishing, Inc. June 11, 2017. Retrieved August 20, 2019.
- "Cat Daddy Jackson Galaxy coming to Books and Books". Miami Herald. 2013-05-15. Retrieved 2020-10-21.
- Collins, Mark (June 20, 2014). "How Jackson Galaxy transitioned from Boulder musician to TV's cat tamer". dailycamera.com. Retrieved 6 May 2018.
- Friedlander, Whitney (June 14, 2012). "Jackson Galaxy, the 'Cat Whisperer' of Animal Planet's My Cat From Hell". LA Weekly. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- "Cat Mojo With Jackson Galaxy". Animalist.com. Archived from the original on June 10, 2014. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- "'Cat from Hell' star Jackson Galaxy weds at pet sanctuary". Today.com. Retrieved October 16, 2014.
- Stephens, Stephanie. "My Cat from Hell's Jackson Galaxy: Animal Planet Host Wants to Turn Animal Shelters into Coffee Shops". Retrieved 6 May 2018.
- "'Jackson Galaxy weight loss: Did gastric-bypass surgery save My Cat From Hell host?". Bellenews. Retrieved October 16, 2014.