This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|No. of offices||58|
|No. of attorneys||Over 900|
|Major practice areas||Labor and Employment|
|Key people||William J. Anthony and Kevin G. Lauri, Co-Chairs|
|Revenue||US$420.5 million (2017) |
|Profit per equity partner||$573,000 (2017)|
|Company type||Professional Corporation|
Jackson Lewis P.C. is one of the top Labor and Employment firms in the United States.
Jackson Lewis was founded as a labor and employment law firm, and grew to include practice groups covering government relations, healthcare, and collegiate and professional sports law. It has over 900 attorneys and 58 offices, including its Puerto Rico office. The firm is a founding member of L&E Global Employers’ Counsel Worldwide, an alliance of workplace law firms in 20 countries. The firm is led by a board of directors, and its current Co-Chairs are William J. Anthony and Kevin G. Lauri.
Jackson Lewis is organized into 19 practice groups and 19 industry groups. The majority of these groups are focused on labor and employment law. Practice and industry group members are spread across all of the firm’s offices. Jackson Lewis has implemented multiple artificial intelligence (AI) and digital legal tools. The firm created “workthruIT,” a web-based, self-service labor and employment law compliance application. The firm also partnered with “ROSS Intelligence” to utilize its legal research AI.
According to Steven Greenhouse of the New York Times, Jackson Lewis “is widely known as one of the most aggressively anti-union law firms in the U.S.”
Professor David Correia, an Associate Professor at the University of New Mexico, witnessed the firm's "union avoidance" practice in action when Jackson Lewis was hired to resist the UNM faculty's unionizing efforts. He writes, "Jackson Lewis is not just any law firm. It is management’s go-to firm for anti-union campaigns. They’ve represented thousands of employers, including large retailers such as Ikea, manufacturers such as IBM and Boeing, and health care firms from coast to coast. In the past decade, it has moved aggressively into public-sector higher education anti-unionism. In recent years, in addition to UNH and now UNM, it has represented Barnard College, Emerson College, Northeastern University, Middlesex County College, Columbia University, Goucher College, and NYU among others. College administrators hire Jackson Lewis for the same reasons for-profit employers do: to bargain to impasse with existing unions, and, in the case of UNM, to stop unions from being formed in the first place."
In May 2020, Rutgers University hired Jackson Lewis, at a reported cost of $1.8 million, to fight the Rutgers Coalition of Unions' struggle to defend its members against lay-offs in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Jackson Lewis was founded by Lou Jackson and Robert Lewis in 1958. The firm’s first office was opened in New York City in 1958. It opened its second office in Los Angeles in 1977. As of February 2019, the firm has 58 offices. The firm’s period of most rapid growth was between 2006 and 2015, when it opened 34 new offices. In 2013, Jackson Lewis opened its first office outside of the continental US in San Juan, Puerto Rico.  Jackson Lewis is affiliated with a subsidiary law corporation in Hawaii, Jackson Lewis P.C., a Law Corporation.
Jackson Lewis' practice groups include:
- Affirmative Action Compliance and OFCCP Defense
- Class Actions and Complex Litigation
- Collegiate and Professional Sports
- Corporate Diversity Counseling
- Corporate Governance and Internal Investigations
- Disability, Leave and Health Management
- Employee Benefits
- General Employment Litigation
- Government Relations
- Health Law and Transactions
- International Employment Issues
- Labor and Preventive Practices
- Non-Competes and Protection Against Unfair Competition
- Privacy, Data and Cybersecurity
- Wage and Hour
- White Collar and Government Enforcement
- Workplace Safety and Health
- Workplace Training
- "Office locations". Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Firm's "About Us" page". Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Jackson Lewis Law Firm Profile". Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "L&E Global". Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Firm leadership". Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Firm practice groups". Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Firm industry groups". Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "workthruIT". Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Jackson Lewis Bets on Automating Compliance Tasks". Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Jackson Lewis P.C. Partners with ROSS Intelligence on Firm-Wide Artificial Intelligence Initiative". Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- David Correia, https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/03/14/union-busting-on-campus-jackson-lewis-and-higher-education-anti-unionism/
- "National law firm Jackson Lewis opens Hawaii office". Retrieved 19 February 2019.