Jackson Square, San Francisco
Hotaling Place at Jackson St., San Francisco--the historic warehouse that gives the alley its name is hinted at left, and the Transamerica Pyramid appears in the background
Jackson Square Historic District
|Location||Roughly bounded by Broadway on N, Sansome St. on E, Washington St. on S, and Columbus Ave. on W, San Francisco, California|
|Area||14.2 acres (5.7 ha)|
|Architectural style||Classical Revival, Italianate|
|NRHP reference #||71000186 |
|Added to NRHP||November 18, 1971|
Jackson Square is a neighborhood in San Francisco, California, bounded by Broadway, Washington St. on the south, Columbus Ave. on the west and Battery St. on the east with any number of nearby satellite buildings and residents outside the bounds that truly belong to the neighborhood.
Jackson Square encompasses the northeastern part of the former Barbary Coast red light district. It was built largely during the mid-late 1800's. The district contains the sole surviving buildings of the early central business district of San Francisco. During the 1850s this newly filled area which directly adjoined the piers to the east was populated by merchants, banks, places of entertainment, professional and government offices, and assembly halls.
Jackson Square Historic District is one of the oldest commercial neighborhoods in San Francisco. Buildings on Jackson between Montgomery and Sansome retain cast iron shutters as protection against fire, but when the city burned, in one case, a warehouse's contents turned out to be more significant in saving the building in the 1906 earthquake and fire:
- If, as they say, God spanked the town for being over-frisky,
- Why did he burn the churches down and spare Hotaling's Whiskey? 
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Bohemian San Francisco -- Its Restaurants and Their Most Famous Recipes—The Elegant Art of Dining, 1914, by Clarence E. Edwords
- "San Francisco Landmakrs 12" NoeHill
- "AP Hotaling Warehouse" Lonely Planet
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jackson Square, San Francisco.|