Jackson Square (MBTA station)
Main entrance to Jackson Square station in 2016
|Location||1500 Columbus Avenue at 240 Centre Street
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
|Owned by||Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Connections||MBTA Bus: 14, 22, 29, 41, 44|
|Bicycle facilities||8 spaces|
|Opened||May 4, 1987|
|Passengers (2013)||5,828 (weekday average boardings)|
The station opened in 1987 along with the rest of the southern Orange Line stations. In 2004, a project took place that provided the station with murals as well as better lighting and new sidewalks to replace broken ones after a spree of violent crimes near the station. The improvements were designed to reduce criminal activity as well as provide a more welcoming atmosphere for transit riders.
|Southbound||← Orange Line toward Forest Hills (Stony Brook)|
|Island platform, doors will open on the left|
|Northbound||→ Orange Line toward Oak Grove (Roxbury Crossing) →|
Jackson Square station is served by five MBTA Bus routes:
- 14 Roslindale Square - Heath Street via Dudley Station, Grove Hall & Jackson Square Station
- 22 Ashmont Station - Ruggles Station via Talbot Avenue & Jackson Square
- 29 Mattapan Station - Jackson Square Station via Seaver Street & Columbus Avenue
- 41 Centre & Eliot Street - JFK/UMass Station via Dudley Station, Centre Street & Jackson Square Station
- 44 Jackson Square Station - Ruggles Station via Seaver Street & Humboldt Avenue
All of the routes operate into an off-street busway located adjacent to the station. The 14, 29, and 44 terminate at Jackson Square.
- Belcher, Jonathan (19 March 2016). "Changes to Transit Service in the MBTA district 1964-2016" (PDF). NETransit. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Ridership and Service Statistics" (PDF) (14th ed.). Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. 2014.
- "Jackson Square Station Improvements Are Completed" (Press release). Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. 10 December 2004. Archived from the original on 13 December 2004.
- "Envisioning Peace: Local youths draw upon talents to improve MBTA stop" (Press release). Hyde Square Task Force. 15 July 2004. Archived from the original on 1 October 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jackson Square (MBTA station).|
|This article relating to rapid transit systems in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Massachusetts train station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|