Jackson Township, Clinton County, Indiana
Location of Jackson Township in Clinton County
|Named for||Andrew Jackson|
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||43.45 sq mi (112.5 km2)|
|• Land||43.45 sq mi (112.5 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||883 ft (269 m)|
|• Density||27/sq mi (10/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||453437|
Jackson Township is one of fourteen townships in Clinton County, Indiana. As of the 2010 census, its population was 1,173 and it contained 469 housing units. The township was named for President Andrew Jackson.
Jackson was one Clinton County's original townships, created at the first meeting of the county commissioners on May 15, 1830, and remains the largest of the current fourteen. Its first white settlers were Walter and Anthony Leek who arrived in 1828.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 43.45 square miles (112.5 km2), all land. It includes most of what was known to the pioneers as Twelve Mile Prairie. The unincorporated towns of Cyclone and Manson sit on its eastern and western borders, respectively. A CSX rail line (originally laid down by the Terre Haute, Indianapolis and Eastern Railroad) runs south from Frankfort through the middle of the township.
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Center Township (north)
- Michigan Township (northeast)
- Kirklin Township (east)
- Clinton Township, Boone County (southeast)
- Washington Township, Boone County (south)
- Sugar Creek Township, Boone County (southwest)
- Perry Township (west)
- Washington Township (northwest)
The township contains two cemeteries: Allen and Buntin.
- "Jackson Township, Clinton County, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- United States Census Bureau cartographic boundary files
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Claybaugh, Joseph (1913). History of Clinton County, Indiana. Indianapolis: A. W. Bowen & Company. p. 31.
- Claybaugh, Joseph (1913). "Jackson Township". History of Clinton County, Indiana. Indianapolis: A. W. Bowen & Company.