Jackson Township, Guernsey County, Ohio
|Jackson Township, Guernsey County, Ohio|
Fields along Ideal Road, northeast of Byesville
Location of Jackson Township in Guernsey County
|• Total||24.2 sq mi (62.8 km2)|
|• Land||24.2 sq mi (62.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||915 ft (279 m)|
|• Density||216/sq mi (83.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086180|
Jackson Township is one of the nineteen townships of Guernsey County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2010 census the population was 5,220, of whom 2,782 lived in the unincorporated portion of the township.
Located in the southwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Cambridge Township - north
- Center Township - northeast
- Richland Township - east
- Valley Township - south
- Spencer Township - southwest
- Westland Township - west
Name and history
Children from Jackson Township would have attended these schools in the early to mid 1900s: Ideal School, Happy Dale School, Garfield School (A.K.A. Stop Nine School), Lincoln School, Central (High) School and Byesville High (Elementary) School. The current public schools of the township are made up from the Rolling Hills Local School District: Byesville Elementary School, Brook Intermediate School, Meadowbrook Middle School and Meadowbrook High School.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Jackson township, Guernsey County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 19, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Remainder of Jackson township, Jackson township, Guernsey County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 19, 2017.
- Sarchet, Cyrus Parkinson Beatty (1911). History of Guernsey County, Ohio, Volume 1. B.F. Bowen & Company. p. 291.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Wolfe, William G. Stories of Guernsey County Ohio (1943)
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.