Jackson Township, Noble County, Ohio
|Jackson Township, Noble County, Ohio|
Methodist church at Crooked Tree
Location of Jackson Township in Noble County
|• Total||32.4 sq mi (83.9 km2)|
|• Land||32.4 sq mi (83.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,017 ft (310 m)|
|• Density||16.5/sq mi (6.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086745|
Jackson Township is one of the fifteen townships of Noble County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 536 people in the township, 496 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Olive Township - north
- Enoch Township - northeast corner
- Jefferson Township - northeast, south of Enoch Township
- Aurelius Township, Washington County - east
- Salem Township, Washington County - southeast corner
- Adams Township, Washington County - south
- Waterford Township, Washington County - southwest corner
- Center Township - west
- Sharon Township - northwest
It is the most southerly township in Noble County.
A part of the small village of Dexter City is located in far northeastern Jackson Township.
Name and history
Jackson Township was originally called Olive Green Township, and under the latter name was organized in 1819 in territory then belonging to Morgan County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Noble County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- History of Noble County, Ohio. L. H. Watkins. 1887. p. 544.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.