Jackson Township, Sandusky County, Ohio
|Jackson Township, Sandusky County, Ohio|
Fields east of Burgoon
Location of Jackson Township, Sandusky County, Ohio.
|• Total||36.0 sq mi (93.3 km2)|
|• Land||36.0 sq mi (93.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||669 ft (204 m)|
|• Density||44.7/sq mi (17.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086912|
Jackson Township is one of the twelve townships of Sandusky County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2000 census, 1,609 people lived in the township, 1,297 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Washington Township - north
- Sandusky Township - northeast corner
- Ballville Township - east
- Pleasant Township, Seneca County - southeast corner
- Liberty Township, Seneca County - south
- Jackson Township, Seneca County - southwest corner
- Scott Township - west
- Madison Township - northwest corner
Several communities are located in Jackson Township:
- The village of Burgoon, in the south
- Part of the village of Helena, in the northwest
- The unincorporated community of Millersville, in the northwest
- The unincorporated community of Havens
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Sandusky County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 13 May 2007.
- Everett, Homer (1882). History of Sandusky County, Ohio: With Portraits and Biographies. H. Z. Williams & Bro. p. 860.
- Meek, Basil (1909). Twentieth Century History of Sandusky County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Whipporwill Publications. p. 321.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.