Jackson Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania
|Jackson Township, |
Tioga County, Pennsylvania
A Jackson Township pasture
Map of Tioga County Highlighting Jackson Township
Map of Pennsylvania highlighting Tioga County
|• Total||40.13 sq mi (103.95 km2)|
|• Land||40.11 sq mi (103.88 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.07 km2)|
|• Estimate (2016)||1,867|
|• Density||46.55/sq mi (17.97/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern Time Zone (North America)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT|
|U.S. Decennial Census|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 40.6 square miles (105 km2), of which, 40.6 square miles (105 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.10%) is water.
Jackson Township is bordered by the Towns of Caton in Steuben County, New York and Southport in Chemung County, New York to the north, Wells Township in Bradford County to the east, Rutland Township to the south and Tioga and Lawrence Townships to the west.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,054 people, 777 households, and 599 families residing in the township. The population density was 50.6 people per square mile (19.5/km²). There were 879 housing units at an average density of 21.7/sq mi (8.4/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.64% White, 0.29% African American, 0.10% Native American, 0.10% Asian, 0.05% from other races, and 0.83% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.29% of the population.
There were 777 households out of which 32.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.9% were married couples living together, 6.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.8% were non-families. 19.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the township the population was spread out with 24.3% under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 26.9% from 45 to 64, and 14.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 101.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.7 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $33,643, and the median income for a family was $38,813. Males had a median income of $30,882 versus $21,210 for females. The per capita income for the township was $15,201. About 8.0% of families and 11.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.6% of those under age 18 and 7.0% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations
- Daggett – A village on Pennsylvania Route 549 in the eastern part of the township.
- Jackson Center – A village located in the south-central part of the township.
- Jackson Summit – A village on Pennsylvania Route 328 in the western part of the township.
- Jobs Corners – A village on Pennsylvania Route 549 in the southeast part of the township.
- Millerton – A village and census-designated place on Pennsylvania Route 328 in the northeast part of the township.
- Trowbridge – A village on Pennsylvania Route 328 in the central part of the township, a few miles southwest of Millerton.
Residents of Jackson Township may attend the local, public schools operated by Northern Tioga School District which provides full day kindergarten through 12th grade. In 2013, the District's enrollment declined to 2,085 students kindergarten through 12th grade. Each elementary school provides a taxpayer funded preschool classroom. In 2013, Northern Tioga School District ranked 389th out of 500 public schools for academic achievement of its pupils, by the Pittsburgh Business Times.
Jackson Township residents may also apply to attend any of the Commonwealth's 14 public cyber charter schools (in 2013) at no additional cost to the parents. The resident’s public school district is required to pay the charter school and cyber charter school tuition for residents who attend these public schools. By Commonwealth law, if the District provides transportation for its own students, then the District must provide transportation to any school that lies within 10 miles of its borders. Residents may also seek admission for their school aged child to any other public school district. When accepted for admission, the student's parents are responsible for paying an annual tuition fee set by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. In 2012, the tuition fees for Northern Tioga School District were: Elementary School - $8,463.08, High School - $9,853.49.
BLaST Intermediate Unit #17 provides a wide variety of services to children living in its region which includes Jackson Township. Early screening, special educations services, speech and hearing therapy and many other services like driver education are available. Services for children during the preschool years are provided without cost to their families when the child is determined to meet eligibility requirements.
Community members have access to the Elkland Area Community Library located on East Parkway Avenue, in Elkland, the Green Free Library in Wellsboro; Mansfield Free Public Library in Mansfield and to the statewide PA Power Library  which is an online library funded with tax dollars from the state's education budget.
Mansfield University of Pennsylvania is a state university located in Mansfield, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. Residents may take courses at a discounted tuition rate for state residents.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 14, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Pittsburgh Business Times (April 5, 2013). "Guide to Pennsylvania Schools Statewide ranking 2013".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2013). "Charter Schools".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2013). "What is a Charter School?".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (May 2012). "Pennsylvania Public School District Tuition Rates".