Jackson Township, Wood County, Ohio
|Jackson Township, Wood County, Ohio|
Cornfields along Dunn Road by the Henry County line
Location of Jackson Township in Wood County
|• Total||36.5 sq mi (94.5 km2)|
|• Land||36.5 sq mi (94.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||702 ft (214 m)|
|• Density||22/sq mi (8.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087185|
Jackson Township is one of the nineteen townships of Wood County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 792 people in the township, 489 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county and possessing Wood County's share of a "four corners" boundary, it borders the following townships:
- Milton Township - north
- Liberty Township - northeast corner
- Henry Township - east
- Portage Township, Hancock County - southeast corner
- Pleasant Township, Hancock County - south
- Van Buren Township, Putnam County - southwest corner
- Bartlow Township, Henry County - west
- Richfield Township, Henry County - northwest corner
The village of Hoytville is located in southeastern Jackson Township.
Name and history
Jackson Township was established in 1840. The township was named for Andrew Jackson, seventh President of the United States (1829–1837). It is one of thirty-seven Jackson Townships statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Jackson township, Wood County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 22, 2013.
- "Cities, Townships, & Villages". Wood County Government. Archived from the original on June 6, 2015. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- Leeson, Michael A. (1897). Commemorative Historical and Biographical Record of Wood County, Ohio: Its Past and Present, Early Settlement and Development. J.H. Beers & Company. p. 293.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.