Jacksons International Airport
|Jacksons International Airport|
|Owner||PNG National Airports Corporation Ltd|
|Operator||PNG National Airports Corporation Ltd|
|Location||Saraga, Port Moresby|
|Elevation AMSL||124 ft / 38 m|
Jacksons International Airport (IATA: POM, ICAO: AYPY), also known as Port Moresby Airport, is located 8 kilometres (5 miles) outside Port Moresby, in Papua New Guinea. It is the largest and busiest airport in Papua New Guinea and is the main hub for Air Niugini, the national airline of Papua New Guinea, as well as the main hub for PNG Air and Travel Air. It replaced the original Port Moresby airport, in what is now the suburb of Waigani, whose airstrip remained until the 1990s but no trace of which is now there, it having been built over.
Jacksons International Airport consists of two terminals: the Domestic Terminal, housing Air Niugini and PNG Air, and the International Terminal, servicing all other airlines plus Air Niugini's and PNG Air's international routes. The International Terminal features four aircraft parking bays, three of which are equipped with aerobridges. The two terminals are linked by a covered walkway.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Niugini||Alotau, Brisbane, Buka, Cairns, Chuuk, Daru, Denpasar (ends 25 September 2018), Goroka, Hoskins, Hong Kong, Honiara, Kavieng, Kiunga, Kundiawa, Lae, Lihir Island, Lorengau, Madang, Manila, Mendi, Mount Hagen, Nadi, Pohnpei, Popondetta, Port Vila, Rabaul, Singapore, Sydney, Tabubil, Tari, Tokyo–Narita, Townsville (ends 1 October 2018), Vanimo, Wapenamanda, Wewak|
|PNG Air||Alotau, Daru, Goroka, Hoskins, Kiunga, Lae, Lihir Island, Losuia, Madang, Misima Island, Moro, Mount Hagen, Popondetta, Rabaul, Tabubil, Tufi, Wewak|
In popular culture
In the episode of Think Tank aired on 1 August 2018, Justin was asked about the IATA code of this airport on the first question of Head to Head. He answered the question correctly.
- USAAF in the Southwest Pacific
- Kila Airfield (3 Mile Drome)
- Wards Airfield (5 Mile Drome)
- Berry Airfield (12 Mile Drome)
- Schwimmer Airfield (14 Mile Drome)
- Durand Airfield (17 Mile Drome)
- Rogers (Rarona) Airfield (30 Mile Drome)
- Fishermans (Daugo Island) Airfield
- "AIR NIUGINI ENDING FLIGHTS TO TOWNSVILLE". Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
- A-Z World Airports: Jacksons International Airport
Media related to Jacksons International Airport at Wikimedia Commons