Jacob Cartwright and Nick Jordan
Jacob Cartwright and Nick Jordan (artist) are visual artists and film-makers based in Manchester, UK. They have been collaborating since 2003. Their work has been exhibited internationally, including at ICA,London, Kunstmuseum Bonn, Academia de Cine, Madrid and Musée du quai Branly, Paris.
Their practice is cross-disciplinary, encompassing video, drawing, painting, photography, found objects, publications and events, and often explores the relationship between the natural world and cultural history.
Cartwright and Jordan are the authors of Alien Invaders, published by Book Works, which takes the form of a guidebook to non-native species found in Britain, and the effects on native wildlife. Drawing on both scientific fact and cultural anecdote, and offset by the artists' interventions, ten invasive species are categorised and illustrated, including the American bullfrog, giant hogweed, pharaoh ant and wels catfish.
Other published works include The Audubon Trilogy (Dedacus, 2010), a series of short films drawn from the writings of 19th-century artist and frontiersman John James Audubon, following his escapades along the Ohio river and Mississippi river. The first film in the trilogy,West Point, features Audubon's account of large flocks of the now extinct passenger pigeons in the woods of Kentucky. New Madrid, the second film, includes Audubon's experience of the New Madrid earthquake, and won the Wall Flower Press award for Best Experimental Film at the 2009 London Short Film Festival. The third film in the trilogy, Cairo, was featured in a joint solo exhibition of their work at Cornerhouse, Manchester: Cairo: The Breaking up of the Ice".
Cartwright and Jordan's film American Water was selected for the 2011 BFI London Film Festival, and was named film of the month by the Independent Cinema Office. The artists' work was the subject of a retrospective at the 2010 London Short Film Festival.
Jacob Cartwright and Nick Jordan are the directors of Between Two Rivers (2012) – a feature-length documentary about the town of Cairo, Illinois. The film was awarded the Audience Choice Award at the Big Muddy Film Festival, 2012, and won Best Film at River's Edge International Film Festival, 2012.
In 2013 the artists were selected for an artist's residency and commission by Headlands Center for the Arts to produce a film in response to the cultural and natural landscape of the Marin Headlands, near San Francisco.
- 2016 'Last Acre', (short film)
- 2015 'The Emotions of Others', (short film)
- 2015 'Off the Trail', (short film)
- 2014 'Headlands Lookout', (short film)
- 2012 'Between Two Rivers', (documentary feature film)
- 2011 'American Water', (short film)
- 2010 'Cairo: The breaking up of the ice', (solo exhibition) Cornerhouse, Manchester
- 2010 'The Audubon Trilogy: Cairo, West Point, New Madrid', (publication/DVD) Cornerhouse, Manchester
- 2010 'Heaven, Hell and Other Places' (documentary),
- 2010 'Fourteen Interventions' (exhibition),
- 2009 'The Reapers' (short film),
- 2009 'Practical Truths' (exhibition installation),
- 2009 'MoNO, The Museum of Native Oaks' (solo exhibition),
- 2007 'Rub-a-dub-dub' (solo exhibition, with Stephen McNeilly),
- 2006 'Alien Invaders' (publication),
- 2006 'Godwottery' (solo exhibition),
- 2004 'Some Mild Peril' (publication),
- 2004 'The Goose Fair' (solo exhibition),
- "Alien Invaders Brought To Book", Towle, Nick. South Manchester Reporter, 21 September 2006
- "Contemporary Art Society, UK"
- "Strange and Wonderful" Sandhu, Sukhdev. The New Statesman, 18 December 2006.
- "Alien Invaders review" The Guardian, Clee, Nicholas. 9 September 2006.
- "The Audubon Trilogy: Fugitive Narratives and the Drama of the Natural World" Jones, T.J, Carbondale Nightlife, July 2010
- "ICA, London Short Film Festival"
- "This is Tomorrow", Contemporary Art Magazine, Jan 2010
- "Rural Life, BFI London Film Festival 2011."
- "Short Film of the Month" ICO, Nov 2011
- Time Out, London 4 January 2010
- "Between Two Rivers". Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Filmakers Library". Retrieved June 2014.
- "Last Acre". Retrieved Jan 2016.
- "The Emotions of Others". Retrieved Jan 2015.
- "Off the Trail". Retrieved Jan 2015.
- "Headlands Lookout". Retrieved June 2014.
- "American Water". Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Cairo: The breaking up of the ice, Cornerhouse". Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Cairo: The Audubon Trilogy". Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Heaven, Hell and Other Places". Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Fourteen Interventions, Swedenborg House". Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "The Reapers". Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Practical Truths". Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "MoNO, BBC Manchester". Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Rub-a-dub-dub". Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Alien Invaders". Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Godwottery". Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Some Mild Peril". Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "The Goose Fair". Retrieved 13 January 2012.