This article cites its sources but does not provide page references. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||13 March 1699|
|Died||28 February 1777 (aged 77)|
|Alma mater||Uppsala University|
|Occupation||Scientist, surveyor, government official|
Life and career
From 1727 onwards he worked in the Lantmäterikontoret (surveying office) as a surveyor and geometry teacher. He became its director in 1747. On his initiative Sweden printed their first cadastral maps. His interest in reforming Swedish agriculture led him to implement the Storskiftet (great shift) similar to the British model, begun in 1749. He was involved in the mapping of Finland and led storskiftesverket in both Finland and Scania.
From 1733 to 1739 he served on the Tabellkommissionen (Commission for the adjustment of weights and measures), He later served as a member of the Commission to oversee and improve forestry schemes.
He became a founding member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 1739, serving as secretary from 1741 to 1744 and again from 1757 to 1760. He criticized the organization for using Latin instead of Swedish, which led to his founding the breakaway group Tungomålsgillet (Language Guild). Due to opposition from the Royal Academy, he was unable to get a charter for the organization.
Faggot assisted in creating the first Census in Sweden in 1749. In later life, he published on agricultural topics. His work researching genealogies via hemmansklyvning (division of inherited family lands) led to increased interest in population studies and local history.
Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences posthumously awarded a medal to Faggot in 1778.
- Historien om svenska landtmäteriet och geographie (The history of the Swedish surveying office and geographers)
- Svenska landtbrukets hinder ock hjälp (Swedish agricultural barriers and help)
- Scobbie, Irene (2010). The A to Z of Sweden. Rowman & Littlefield, ISBN 9780810872189
- Palo, Matti; Lehto, Erkki (2012). Private Or Socialistic Forestry?: Forest Transition in Finland Vs. Deforestation in the Tropics. Springer, ISBN 9789048138951
- Wagner, Peter (2006). The Languages in Civil Society. Berghahn Books, ISBN 9781845451189
- Helander Hans (2004). Neo-Latin literature in Sweden in the period 1620-1720 Acta Universitatis Upsaliensis: Studia Latina Upsaliensia, Volume 29. Almquist & Wiksell
- Roberts Michael (2003). The Age of Liberty: Sweden 1719-1772. Cambridge University Press, ISBN 9780521527071
|This Swedish biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|