|Education||University of Georgia, Southern College of Optometry, College of Syntonic Optometry|
|Occupation||Optometrist, Author, Inventor, Public Speaker and Vision Scientist|
|Known for||Holistic Vision Improvement|
|Sub-Specialties||Vision Training, Syntonics, Mind-Body Medicine|
Early life and education
Born in Havana, Cuba, in 1947, Liberman and his family immigrated to Miami, Florida in 1955 when he was seven years old. He attended the University of Georgia from 1967-1969 followed by the Southern College of Optometry where he earned a Doctorate of Optometry in 1973. Throughout his education, Liberman struggled with reading and vision problems.
Liberman opened his practice in Miami where he specialized in children and adolescents managing the same learning difficulties he had growing up. In 1976, he experienced a spontaneous remission of his nearsightedness and astigmatism and began incorporating alternative methods of vision improvement into his practice. He published studies on his methods in academic journals and in 1977’s H.E.L.P. For The Adolescent.
In 1977, Liberman was formally introduced to Syntonics, or optometric phototherapy, a branch of ocular science dealing with the application of selected, visible light frequencies (or colors) through the eyes. His studies on the effects of Syntonics would become the focus of his post-doctoral degree from the College of Syntonic Optometry.
Liberman invented three light therapy units — the Color Receptivity Trainer and Spectral Receptivity Systems I and II — and two vision training devices — the Liberman Vis-Flex and the Eyeport Vision Training System, the first patented, FDA-cleared device clinically proven to improve overall visual performance. The efficacy of the device was substantiated by a series of peer-reviewed studies.
- Light: Medicine of the Future (Bear & Co./Inner Traditions, 1990)
- Take Off Your Glasses and See (Three Rivers Press/Random House, 1995)
- Wisdom from an Empty Mind (Empty Mind Publications, 2001)
- Luminous Life: How the Science of Light Unlocks the Art of Living (New World Library, 2018)
Accreditations and affiliations
- Awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Science from the Open International University for Complementary Medicines in 1996
- Past President of the College of Syntonic Optometry and the International Society for the Study of Subtle Energies and Energy Medicine
- Member of the Board of Directors of the International Light Association and the Advisory Board of the Institute for Science, Spirituality, and Sustainability
- Faculty member of the Institute for Scientific Exploration
- “Prescribing for Performance and Prevention” by Jack Liberman, O.D., Journal of the American Optometric Association, Volume 47, Number 8, August 1976, Page 1063.
- "The Morning Show with Patrick Timpone," March 24, 2015, One Radio Network". oneradionetwork.com. March 24, 2015. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Anna Haight (September 23, 2012). "Stop Looking, Start Seeing". patch.com. Mill Valley Patch. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Hay, Veronica M. "An Interview with Jacob Liberman". peopleandpossibilities.com. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Hay, Veronica M. "Jacob Liberman, OD, PHD: Change Your Vision, Change Your Life," Interview by Marc David and Suzanne Snyder, Alternative Therapies, March/April 2008" (PDF). alternative-therapies.com. 14 (2). p. 71.
- "Is Your Phone Ruining Your Eyesight?". HuffPost. November 26, 2011. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- "Change Your Vision, Change Your Life,” by Jacob Liberman, O.D., Ph.D., New Life Magazine, July-August 2007, Issue 115, Page 11.
- Liberman, Jack (1978). "Functional Vision". H.E.L.P For the Adolescent: A Guide to Assessing Academic and Social Adjustment. By Norma Banas; I. H. Wills. Atlanta: Humanics Limited. ISBN 9780893340186.
- Steve Goedert (March 11, 2009). ""Lessons from Dr. Pepper: Time, Space and Meaningful Movement". anewscafe.com. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Advanced Light Therapies: A Complete Guide to the Healing Power of Light by Anandi Martel, Healing Arts Press, 2018, Preface, ISBN 978-1-62055-729-7
- ""Interview with Dr. Jacob Liberman," Lotus Guide: Providing Cutting-Edge Information on Science, Health and Services". Lotus Guide. May 20, 2012. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- New Aspen Doctor Known as Pioneer in ‘Energy Medicine’ by Jane Wilson, Aspen Times, July 27, 1989, Page 9B.
- Paddy Kamen (May 15, 2011). "Fringe Fact of Fiction? Is EYEPORT the Real Thing?". Envision Magazine. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Dr. Ray Gottlieb (November 7, 2016). "Dr. Pepper, Behavioral Optometrist (1923-2016)". Optometry & Visual Performance. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Hannu Laukkanen and Jeff Rabin (October 2006). "A Prospective Study of the EYEPORT Vision Training System". Optometry. 77 (10). Journal of the American Optometric Association. pp. 508–514.
- "Jacob Liberman, OD, PhD, D.Sc.," GenConnect". fullscreendirect.com. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- "A New Way of Life, About". anewayoflife.com. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Gail Vivino, ed. (1991). "Light Medicine of the Future". Bear & Company Publishing. p. 168. ISBN 0-939680-80-7.
- Dr. Jacob Liberman (1995). "Take Off Your Glasses and See". Three Rivers Press. p. 8. ISBN 0-517-88604-9.
- "Conference 2009: International Light Association". International Light Association. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- "Members of the International Light Association (ILA) Board". International Light Association. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- "Applied Consciousness Research Division". World Institute of Scientific Exploration. Retrieved November 14, 2018.