|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015)|
- This article is about the books written by Mordecai Richler. For the TV series, see Jacob Two-Two (TV series) and for the movies see Jacob Two Two Meets the Hooded Fang.
Jacob Two-Two is the central character in a series of children's books, Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang (1975), Jacob Two-Two and the Dinosaur (1987) and Jacob Two-Two's First Spy Case (1995) written by Mordecai Richler, and Jacob Two-Two on the High Seas (2009) written by Cary Fagan.
Jacob is the youngest child of five and has to say things twice because people do not hear him the first time. Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang has twice been filmed, in 1978 and in 1999, the latter film starring Gary Busey. The titles by Mordecai Richler have inspired an animated TV series produced by Nelvana, and seen in Canada on YTV (English) and VRAK.TV (French), and in the United States on Qubo.
The character is said to have been inspired by Jacob Richler, the author's youngest son. Every character in Jacob's family has the same name as their counterpart in the real Richler family. However, despite the names, Richler stated that the characters were not based on his family.
In September 2009 Tundra Books, the publisher of the Jacob Two-Two series, released a new fourth book titled Jacob Two-Two on the High Seas. Mordecai Richler had always planned to write new adventures and had started a fourth book before he died in 2001. With the full support of the Richler family, the new book was written by Canadian author Cary Fagan. It is the prequel to the first three books with the family sailing back to Canada from England after Jacob's father writes an important novel.
Tundra will also re-release the previous three titles in the series with new art and covers by Toronto artist, Dušan Petričić.
- The protagonist of the story, Jacob Two-Two is the youngest child in his family and tends not to be heard. As a result, he repeats everything twice automatically, which is the origin of his nickname. (See Jacob Richler.)
X. Barnaby Dinglebat
- Jacob's next door neighbour is an international spy, working for CMIST (Canadian Ministry of Intrigue, Spying, and Tattling). Jacob later helps Mr. Dinglebat and his agent Intrepid (a hamster) on top secret missions.
- Jacob's dad, the writer of the popular "Amazing Ronald" books, is said to be based on Mordecai Richler. He is described as being fairly laid back and easygoing.
Noah and Emma
- Jacob's older twin brother and sister respectively. The two of them are avid readers and wrestling fans, but they do not take Jacob seriously and treat him like a nuisance who cannot keep up with them. They form a superhero team known as "Kid Power" and refer to themselves as Fearless O'Toole (Noah) and Intrepid Shapiro (Emma). Emma as the Intrepid Shapiro as the leader of the child power has her own arch-enemy in the fox girl who is after her and her watch. They pick on Jacob a lot. (See also Noah Richler and Emma Richler.)
- Jacob's oldest sister, who is vain and short-tempered but very smart. While she and Jacob argue a lot, she is proud of his achievements and they care about each other.
- Jacob's oldest brother, the epitome of cool in Jacob's eyes. He treats Jacob like a nuisance at times, but also seems to take him more seriously than Noah, Emma, and Marfa. He likes music, especially classics like the Beatles. (See Daniel Richler.)
- Jacob's mother, who takes everything in stride.
Mrs Sour Pickle
- Jacob's geography teacher Miss Sour Pickle has a permanent scowl plastered on her face, like she smells something bad. She glories in catching her students not paying attention or talking in class, then giving them snap quizzes on the obscure capitals of equally obscure countries. The only thing Sour Pickle loves to do more than torment Two Two is cheer for her favourite team, the marvelous Montreal Marvels. It's her biggest secret that she simply adores hockey.
Miss Darling Sweetiepie
- This absolutely adorable little old lady down the street constantly roaming about offering everyone she meets delicious baked goods.
- An odd little kid with a string of unfortunate names. His full name is "Buford Orville Gaylord Pugh". His lack of anxiety and worries aren't due to a lack of intelligence, they're more due to his inability to FOCUS. He is prone to recounting pointless, meandering shaggy dog stories at the drop of a hat. Buford and Jacob are both new at school.
-  The Return of Jacob Two-Two