Jacobs School of Engineering
|Division of Engineering|
|University of California San Diego|
|Location||La Jolla, San Diego, California, USA
The Irwin and Joan Jacobs School of Engineering at the University of California San Diego is an undergraduate and graduate-level engineering school offering Bachelor of Science (BS), Master of Engineering (MEng), Master of Science (MS), and Doctorate (PhD) degree programs. The Jacobs School of Engineering is the youngest engineering school of the nation's top fifteen, as well as the largest engineering school in the University of California system. Thirty-one faculty have been named members of the National Academies.
Engineering programs began at UCSD during the 1964 academic year with a broad applied science department in the areas of aerospace engineering, solid mechanics, bioengineering and materials. In 1982, UCSD combined the engineering departments into the Division of Engineering, led by the first dean, Lea Rudee. Ten years passed until the Division of Engineering was renamed the School of Engineering. This time, Robert Conn, an expert in plasma physics and semiconductors was chosen to lead the new School. In 1997, when Qualcomm founder and former UCSD engineering professor Irwin Jacobs and his wife Joan Jacobs provided a $15 million endowment for the School, the School went through a final name change leading to the current name in their honor. Six years later, Irwin and Joan Jacobs added to the endowment with a $110 million gift for scholarships, fellowships, and faculty support.
The School's mission consists of three goals:
- Educate Tomorrow's Technology Leaders
- Conduct Leading Edge Research and Drive Innovation
- Transfer Discoveries to Ensure Societal Benefit and Economic Prosperity
The School is housed in 8 buildings in and around Earl Warren College on the UCSD Campus. These include Jacobs Hall (Engineering Building Unit 1), Engineering Building Unit 2, Atkinson Hall (Calit2), the Center for Magnetic Recording Research, the Powell Structural Research Laboratory, Powell-Focht Bioengineering Hall, the Computer Science and Engineering building, and the Structural Engineering Research Facility (SERF).
- Bioengineering (est. 1994)
- Computer Science and Engineering (est. 1987)
- Electrical and Computer Engineering (est. 1987)
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (est. 1999)
- NanoEngineering (est. 2007)
- Structural Engineering (est. 1999)
The Jacobs School is also affiliated with several academic centers and institutes. These include:
- Center for Extreme Events Research
- Center for Wearable Sensors
- Center for Algorithmic and Systems Biology
- Center For Energy Research
- Center for Microbiome Innovation
- Sustainable Power and Energy Center
- Center for Magnetic Recording Research
- Center for Networked Systems
- Center for Wireless Communications
- Charles Lee Powell Structural Research Laboratories
- Cymer Center for Control Systems and Dynamics
- Gordon Engineering Leadership Center
- IDEA Student Center
- Information Theory and Applications Center
- Institute of Engineering in Medicine
- Moxie Center for Student Entrepreneurship
- San Diego Supercomputer Center
- Qualcomm Institute (UC San Diego Division of California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology)
- Whitaker Center for Biomedical Engineering
- Von Liebig Entrepreneurism Center
The Jacobs School of Engineering overall was ranked 14th in the United States. All six of the Jacobs School's academic departments were ranked in the top 20: The Department of Bioengineering, ranked 3rd in the nation for biomedical engineering behind Johns Hopkins and Georgia Tech. The department has ranked among the top five programs in the nation every year for the past decade. The Jacobs School of Engineering is also the 10th best in the world for engineering/technology and computer sciences, according to an academic ranking of the top 100 world universities published online in February 2008 by the Institute of Higher Education, Shanghai Jiao Tong University. The Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE), ranked highly in all categories surveyed: computer systems (9), computer science (13), theory (14), programming language (17) and artificial intelligence (19). The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, ranked 16th in mechanical engineering and 19th in aerospace engineering; the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), ranked 16th in electrical engineering and communications, and 17th in computer engineering; and the Department of Structural Engineering, ranked 17th in the specialty of civil engineering. The interdisciplinary Bioinformatics program, which is offered jointly by eight UCSD departments including the Jacobs School's bioengineering and computer science and engineering departments, ranked 6th in the nation.
- Jacobs School Enrollment Figures
- Jacobs School "About Us" facts
- Jacobs School National Academies members list
- Hagen, Denine. "$10 Million gift from the William J. Von Liebig Foundation funds Center for Entrepreneurism at UCSD's Jacobs School". EurekAlert!. American Association for the Advancement of Science. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- Entrepreneur Magazine: Irwin and Joan Jacobs pledge $110 million more to UCSD
- "UCSD ASEE Profile 2013". American Society for Engineering Education. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- O'Neal, Tyler. "UCSD's new Center for Extreme Events Research achieves mesh-free simulations". SC Online News. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- Robbins, Gary (2 May 2014). "UCSD surges into wearable tech market". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- "Bernard and Sophia Gordon Engineering Leadership Center".
- Boniface, Russell. "Center Aims for Retention". Civil Engineering. American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Karen, Kucher (23 May 2013). "Solar umbrella a winner in UCSD competition". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- "Best Engineering Schools". America's Best Graduate Schools. U.S. News & World Report. 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- U.S. News and World Report (2013). "Best Biomedical/Bioengineering Programs ; Top Engineering Schools; US News Best Graduate Schools". U.S. News & World Report. Archived from the original on 2013-08-15. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (2008). "Top 100 world universities in Engineering/Technology and Computer Sciences". Institute of Higher Education, Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- "UCSD Department of Computer Science and Engineering". Retrieved 2009-07-15.