Jacqueline Victoire Brookes|
July 24, 1930
Montclair, New Jersey, U.S.
April 26, 2013 (aged 82)|
New York, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Actress; acting teacher|
Life and career
Brookes was born in Montclair, New Jersey, the daughter of Maria Victoire (née Zur Haar) and Frederick Jack Brookes, an investment banker. She attended a French-speaking school in New York and spoke fluent French. She chose to attend the University of Iowa, graduating with a Bachelor of Fine Arts. Then she went to London on a Fulbright Scholarship to study at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts.
During the 1960s, she spent several summers acting in the Shakespeare Festival at the Old Globe Theater in San Diego, performing in plays such as Antony and Cleopatra, A Winter's Tale, The Merchant of Venice, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Merry Wives of Windsor, and Richard III. During that era, she also performed Rosalind in As You Like It at the New Mexico State University, Katherine in The Taming of the Shrew at the University of British Columbia, and Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing at the Shakespeare Festival in Stratford, Connecticut.
- As the World Turns (1956) - Miss Thompson (1969-1973)
- The Hospital (1971, TV Series) - Dr. Immelman (uncredited)
- Parades (1972) - Mrs. Novik (uncredited)
- The Werewolf of Washington (1973) - Angela - Publisher
- The Gambler (1974) - Naomi Freed
- Another World (1975, TV Series) - Beatrice Gordon
- Looking Up (1977) - Becky
- A Death in Canaan (1978, TV Movie) - Mildred Carston
- Last Embrace (1979) - Dr. Coopersmith
- Paternity (1981) - Aunt Ethel
- Ghost Story (1981) - Milly
- Love and Money (1982) - Mrs. Paultz
- The Entity (1982) - Dr. Cooley
- Without a Trace (1983) - Margaret Mayo
- License to Kill (1984, TV Movie) - Judge Miriam Roth
- Jack and Mike (1986, TV Series) - Nora Adler
- American Playhouse (1987, TV Series) - Mrs. Connaloe
- Sea of Love (1989) - Helen's Mother
- Law & Order (1990, TV Series) - Judge Grace Larkin
- The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear (1991) - Commissioner Brumford
- Star Trek: The Next Generation (1992, TV Series) (Episode: The First Duty) - Admiral Brand
- Whispers in the Dark (1992) - Lorraine McDowell
- The Good Son (1993) - Alice
- Losing Isaiah (1995) - Judge Silbowitz (final film role)
- Jacqueline Brookes profile at FilmReference.com
- Garfield, David (1980). "Appendix: Life Members of The Actors Studio as of January 1980". A Player's Place: The Story of The Actors Studio. New York: Macmillan Publishing Co., Inc. p. 277. ISBN 0-02-542650-8.
- JACQUELINE BROOKES' obit, New York Times (paid death notice)
- Douglas Martin "Jacqueline Brookes, Actress, Dies at 82", New York Times, May 12, 2013