|Born||Ballarat, Victoria, Australia|
|Other names||Jacqueline Moran|
Jacqueline Lisa Dark (also Jacqueline Moran) is an Australian operatic mezzo-soprano. She was born in Ballarat and attended the University of Ballarat from 1986 to 1988, receiving a Bachelor of Science (Physics) and a Graduate Diploma of Education in 1989.
Dark has performed with Opera Australia, Victorian State Opera, was young artist for Opera Queensland in 2000, performed at the Vienna State Opera the roles of Giovanna (Rigoletto), Grimgerde (Die Walküre), Annina (La traviata), Mercedes (Carmen), and Il Pastore (shepherd) in Tosca.
Her 2013/2014 Opera Australia schedule includes Emilia, Donna Elvira, Filippyevna in Eugene Onegin, Meg Page in Falstaff, Lady Billows in Albert Herring and Fricka in Der Ring des Nibelungen.She will also take the alto solos in Rossini's Stabat Mater for the West Australian Symphony Orchestra. In 2012, Jacqueline Dark sang Herodias in Opera Australia's new production of Salome and won the Green Room Award for Outstanding Principal Female in Opera as Donna Elvira in Don Giovanni.
Her performance experience encompasses opera, music theatre, cabaret, theatre restaurant and the concert platform; it includes the roles of The Composer (Ariadne auf Naxos), Carmen and Mercedes (Carmen), Dorabella (Così fan tutte), the title role and Tisbe in La Cenerentola (for which she won a Green Room Award), Suzuki (Madama Butterfly), Rosmira (Partenope), Donna Elvira (Don Giovanni), Second and Third Lady (Die Zauberflöte), Marcellina (Le nozze di Figaro), Maurya (Riders to the Sea), Mrs Herring (Albert Herring), the title role in Iolanthe, Maddalena (Rigoletto), Emilia (Otello), Lucilla (La scala di seta), Marianna (Il signor Bruschino), Flora (La traviata), Annina (Der Rosenkavalier), Pitti-Sing/Katisha (The Mikado) and Mary (Der fliegende Holländer).
Dark performed the role of Sally Lowe in the world premiere of Lindy and the title role in Iolanthe for Opera Australia, and covered the role of Pearl in the world premiere of Richard Mills' Summer of the Seventeenth Doll. She appeared as a soloist with groups including the Melbourne Chorale, the Australian Opera and Ballet Orchestra (concert series), Orchestra Victoria, the Australian National Academy of Music, the Royal Philharmonic Society and the Queensland Symphony Orchestra.
Major roles performed by Dark include:
- Fricka ("Der Ring des Nibelungen" -Wagner) Opera Australia
- Herodias ("Salome_(opera)" – Strauss) Opera Australia
- Donna Elvira (Don Giovanni – Mozart) Opera Australia
- Katisha (The Mikado – Gilbert and Sullivan) Opera Australia
- Marcellina (The Marriage of Figaro – Mozart) Opera Australia
- Maddalena (Rigoletto – Verdi) Opera Australia
- Annina (Der Rosenkavalier – Strauss) Opera Australia
- Rosmira (Partenope – Handel) Opera Australia
- Emilia (Otello – Verdi) Opera Australia
- Flora (La traviata – Verdi) Opera Australia
- Suzuki (Madama Butterfly – Puccini) Opera Australia and Opera Queensland
- The Composer (Ariadne auf Naxos – Strauss) Victorian Opera
- Dorabella (Così fan tutte – Mozart) Victorian Opera
- Carmen (Carmen – Bizet) Eastern Metropolitan Opera
For Opera Australia and CinemaLive – DVD and CD recordings:
- The Marriage of Figaro (Mozart)
- Der Rosenkavalier (Strauss)
- The Mikado (Gilbert and Sullivan)
- Don Giovanni (Mozart)
For Opera Australia and ABC:
- Lindy (Henderson)
For the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra and ABC Classics (as part of a compilation)
Among Dark's awards and major prizes are two Green Room Award for her role of Tisbe in Opera Australia's La Cenerentola (2004) and as Donna Elvira in Don Giovanni in 2011, an overseas study grant by the Australian Elizabethan Theatre Trust (2001), the Vienna State Opera Award (2000), 3rd place in the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions finals (1999), as well as a finalist in McDonald's Operatic Aria (1999, 2000), Herald Sun Aria (1998, 2000), National Liederfest (2000), Covent Garden National Opera Studio Scholarship (1998). She has won the Ringwood Aria 1997, Geelong Aria (1997), Fletcher Jones Memorial Aria (1994), Shell Aria (1993), Victorian Theatre Guild Award (Performance of Distinction) (1989), Encore Award for Performance of Excellence (1986). Dark won the award for Best Female Performer in a Supporting Role in an Opera at the 2013 Helpmann Awards for her role as Herodias in Opera Australia's Salome. and nominated in the 2014 Helpmann Award Best Female Performer in a Supporting Role in an Opera category for The Melbourne Ring Cycle.
Dark launched the 2007 season at Her Majesty's Theatre in her home town of Ballarat as Dorabella in Così fan tutte.
- "History". Broome, Western Australia: Opera under the Stars. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- Jacqueline Lisa Dark, Federation University Honour Roll
- "ABOUTARTISTS JACQUELINE DARK". Opera Australia. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- "I Dreamed a Dream – Hit Songs From Broadway". ABC Music. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Jacqueline Dark, profile at Opera Australia, Jacqueline Dark, performance schedule at OperaBase
- "2013 Helpmann Award Winners". Stage Whispers. 29 July 2013. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Helpmann Awards 2014 NOMINATIONS" (PDF). Helpmann Awards. Retrieved 19 July 2014.