Fernandez at the launch Gillette's new range
11 August 1985 |
|Nationality||Sri Lanka and Bahrain|
Jacqueline Fernandez (born 11 August 1985) is a Sri Lankan actress, former model, and the winner of the Miss Sri Lanka Universe pageant of 2006. She was born and raised in Bahrain into a multiracial family, where her ancestors belong from Canada, Sri Lanka and Malaysia. After graduating in Mass communication and working as a TV reporter in Sri Lanka, she joined the modeling industry. She was crowned the Miss Sri Lanka Universe 2006, and represented her country at Miss Universe 2006.
While on a modelling assignment in India in 2009, Fernandez got an offer to join Hindi film industry, thus making her acting debut in Sujoy Ghosh's fantasy drama Aladin. For the film, she won an IIFA Award for Best Female Debut. Fernandez gained recognition with her appearance in Mohit Suri's erotic-thriller Murder 2 (2011), which emerged as her first commercial success and followed it with glamorous roles in the ensemble-comedy Housefull 2 (2012) and the action-thriller Race 2 (2013) both of which were major box-office successes. In 2014, Fernandez portrayed the leading lady in Sajid Nadiadwala's Kick, which emerged as one of the highest-grossing Bollywood films of all-time.
Early life and pageantry
Fernandez was born on 11 August 1985 in Bahrain and was nurtured in a multi-ethnic family, where her father is a Sri Lankan and her mother is of Malaysian and Canadian ancestry. She is the youngest of four children with one elder sister and two elder brothers. Although, she was raised in Bahrain, she said she originally lived in Sri Lanka. Prior to become a TV reporter, she started hosting TV shows in Bahrain, when she was barely fourteen years old.
According to an article published in Lanka Journal, she had aspired to become an actress, when she was eight years old. Although, she was a TV reporter, she accepted offers in the modeling industry, which came as a result of her pageant entrance. In 2006, she was crowned the Miss Sri Lanka Universe and represented her state at Miss Universe 2006 which was held in Los Angeles. In 2007, Fernandez appeared on her first commercial in a music video for Sri Lankan music duo Bathiya and Santhush.
Early film career (2009–2010)
Fernandez made her acting debut in the 2009 Bollywood fantasy movie Aladin playing a character inspired by the Disney character Princess Jasmine. For her performance, Fernandez received mixed reviews, with Anupama Chopra of NDTV calling her a "plastic debutant". However, Taran Adarsh of BollywoodHungama complimented her more on her looks, rather than her performance by saying, "Jacqueline Fernandez gets no scope, but she looks gorgeous nonetheless.
In year 2010, she was seen once again appearing alongside Ritesh Deshmukh in the romantic comedy Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai. She received mainly negative reviews for her performance. Rediff criticized her by writing," She gamely makes a fool of herself whilst aping the actions of movie stars, ranging from Sridevi's Naagin dance, Mithun Chakravarthy's Disco Dancer moves to Big B's violent headshake in Hum. Her Tara could be a keeper if only Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai wasn't so intent on turning her into a love-struck Barbie. That year, she made a cameo appearance in Sajid Khan's Housefull in the song "Dhanno".
In 2011, Fernandez appeared in her third film, Mahesh Bhatt's thriller Murder 2 which emerged as a major economic success. Fernandez played the role of Priya, a lonely model who is in a confused relationship with Arjun Bhagwat, played by Emraan Hashmi. Fernandez grabbed a lot of attention for the boldness and sex appeal she displayed in the movie, with her performance receiving decent reviews.
Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama reviewed, "Stepping into Mallika's shoes in the sequel is Jacqueline. Like Mallika, she takes the boldness quotient to the next level with her sexy avatar. She should grab a lot of eyeballs for the oomph factor, while her performance is decent. In fact, she gets little scope to display histrionics, but she makes a sincere attempt to portray her character with care." A review from the The Times of India stated that Fernandez was "tastefully tempting" but noted that her romance with Hashmi was "literally half-baked". Murder 2 launched Fernandez's career for the good, as she started getting offers from big production houses. Post Murder 2 success, Fernandez turned down many roles, such as Raaz 3, to avoid being type cast as a sex symbol.
In 2012, Fernandez appeared in Housefull 2 with an ensemble cast which included Akshay Kumar, Asin and Rishi Kapoor. It became one of the top grossing productions of India that year and grossed ₹1.86 billion (US$29 million) worldwide. Also, Fernandez received positive reviews for her performance and looks However, Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave a mixed review by labelling her an "eye candy" who was "befitting in her own space." Fernandez received a nomination at the IIFA Awards for Best Supporting Actress for the film.
Fernandez's first release of 2013 was Race 2 which was described by critics as the "cinematic equivalent of a trashy novel", however was a box-office hit, with collections surpassing the ₹1 billion (US$16 million) mark in domestic ticket sales. Her performance in the film met with generally positive reviews, with Lisa Tsering, of The Hollywood Reporter stating, "Miss Sri Lanka Jacqueline Fernandez, a leggy beauty with a talent for action who now counts seven Indian films under her belt, is another plus. Welcome to Bollywood, Miss Fernandez". Joginder Tuteja of Indicine noted, "Jacqueline has a bigger part to play and she does it well while looking her best." Fernandez also appeared in an item number titled "Jaadu Ki Jhappi" for Prabhu Deva's Ramaiya Vasta Vaiya.
In 2014, Fernandez appeared in Sajid Nadiadwala's directorial debut—the action thriller Kick, a remake of the 2009 Telugu film of the same name. Featuring opposite Salman Khan, Fernandez played Shaina, a psychiatric student. She dubbed in her own voice for the first time in Kick. On her performance, Sneha May Francis commented that she is "incredibly dazzling, and moves like [...] magic," while critic Mohar Basu found her chemistry with Khan "palpable". However, Raja Sen was more critical of her dialogue delivery, calling it "unfortunate." The film received mixed reviews from critics, but with a worldwide revenue of over ₹3.6 billion (US$56 million), it emerged as a blockbuster.
In 2015, Fernandez appeared in Vicky Singh's romantic thriller Roy, in which she played dual roles alongside Arjun Rampal and Ranbir Kapoor. The film garnered mixed reviews as did Fernandez's performance. While India TV called her performance "her best act till date", critic Rajeev Masand felt that Fernandez "appears miscast in a part that required greater range." Though a safe proposition, Roy failed to meet its box-office expectations.
As of July 2015, Fernandez has several projects in development. She has completed shooting for Chandran Rutnam's crime-thriller According to Mathew, an English-Sri Lankan film, awaiting release. She has also completed filming for her Hollywood debut titled Definition of Fear. Fernandez will feature in a cameo appearance for the satire Bangistan opposite Ritesh Deshmukh and Pulkit Samrat. She has completed filming for Karan Malhotra's Brothers, a remake of the 2011 sports drama Warrior with Akshay Kumar and Sidharth Malhotra. Fernandez has also signed on to appear in three other projects—Rohit Dhawan's Dishoom opposite Varun Dhawan and John Abraham as a part of three-film deal with Nadiadadwala production, Remo D'Souza's Flying Jat opposite Tiger Shroff and in an Indo-Chinese film opposite with Abhay Deol, Amitabh Bachchan and Jackie Chan titled Gold Struck 
In the media
In addition to acting in films, Fernandez has supported charitable organisations, and performed for stage shows. In the early 2013, on the behalf of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (India), she sent a letter to the consulate general of the Philippines in Colombo, Sri Lanka, to expedite the transfer of the elephant Mali from the inadequate Manila Zoo to a lush sanctuary. That year, she auctions a breakfast in Mayfair, London which she raises around £4000 for helping Pratham (her friend's) NGO involving for Children's primary education. She then went on to join hands with PETA in order to prevent cruelty to horses. In 2014, Fernandez was named "Woman Of The Year" by PETA (India).
In early 2013, she became the ambassador for HTC One which she endorses in India. and, she was chosen as the face of Indian Bridal Fashion Week—IBFW of 2013. On 16 October, she launched Gareth Pugh's designed Forevermark Diamonds in Mumbai, as the spokesperson and inaugurated Forever 21 store in Mumbai. That year, she also launched Gilette revolutionary shaving system with Arbaaz Khan and Aditya Roy Kapur.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2010||Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai||Tara|
|2010||Housefull||Dhanno||Special appearance in song "Aapka Kya Hoga (Dhanno)"|
|2012||Housefull 2: The Dirty Dozen||Bobby Kapoor|
|2013||Ramaiya Vastavaiya||Unknown||Special appearance in song "Jaadu Ki Jhappi"|
|2014||Kick||Dr. Shaina Mehra|
|2015||Roy||Ayesha / Tia (Double Role)|
|2015||Brothers||Jenny Fernandes ||Completed|
|2016||Definition of Fear||Sarah Fording||Hollywood film
|2016||According to Mathew||Daphne Reynolds||English-language film
|2010||IIFA Awards||Star Plus Debut of the Year – Female||Aladin||Won|
|Stardust Awards||Exciting New Face||Won|
|7th Annual Central European Bollywood Awards||Breakthrough Female||Won|
|2012||Stardust Awards||Best Actress (Thriller/Action)||Murder 2||Nominated|
|2013||IIFA Awards||Best Actress in a Supporting Role||Housefull 2: The Dirty Dozen||Nominated|
|12th Teacher's Achievement Awards||Artistic Versatility||Won|
|15th Asianet Film Awards||Most Stylish Bollywood Actress||N/A||Won|
|2014||Star Box Office India Awards||Miss Box Office India||Kick||Nominated|
|2015||Stardust Awards||Style Diva||Won|
|BIG Star Entertainment Awards||BIG Star Most Entertaining Dancer||Won|
|Screen Awards||Best Actress (Popular Choice)||Nominated|
- "I Wish In One Lifetime I'd Be Able To Work Opposite Salman": Jacqueline Fernandez. Bollywood Hungama. Event occurs at 5:20. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- Fernandez, Jacqueline (2 June 2013). "My birthday is 11th aug! So save all the wishes for that day pls!!". Twitter.com. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- Gupta, Priya (7 July 2014). "Jacqueline Fernandez: Thank my lucky stars to have Salman Khan in my life". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Marwah, Navdeep Kaur (20 May 2014). "I had fun shooting with Salman Khan: Jacqueline Fernandez". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Gayathry (25 December 2012). "I would easily take a bullet for my family: Jacqueline". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-06-29.
- Gayathry (25 December 2012). "I would easily take a bullet for my family: Jacqueline". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-06-29.
- "Sri Lankan beauty fulfils childhood dream with Aladin". Lanka Journal. 14 October 2009. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- "2006". Pageantopolis.com. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez talks about Aladin and working with her co-stars".
- "Aladin | NDTV Movies.com". Movies.ndtv.com. 30 October 2009. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Aladin (2009) | Hindi Movie Critic Review By Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Review: Jaane Kahan ... could have been a gag fest - Rediff.com Movies". Movies.rediff.com. 2010-04-09. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- Murder 2 Box Office Details: Super Hit Box Office India
- "Murder 2 (2011) | Hindi Movie Critic Review By Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "John can make a rice-sack look sexy: Jacqueline". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- Gaurav Malani, TNN 6 Apr 2012, 08.00PM IST (6 April 2012). "Housefull 2: Movie Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Housefull 2 Review". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Housefull 2 (2012) | Hindi Movie Critic Review By Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "'Race 2' Review: It's the cinematic equivalent of a trashy novel but seldom bores you". Ibnlive.in.com. 2013-01-26. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Race 2 enters Rs.100 crore club". India Today. 8 February 2014. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Saif-Deepika's Race 2 enters Rs. 100 crore club". Hindustan Times. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "'Race 2' joins Rs. 100 crore club". Deccan Herald. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Race 2 joins 100 crore club". NDTV Movies. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Race 2: Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Race 2 Review". Indicine.com. 25 January 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- Anantharaman, Soumya (26 July 2014). ""Before shooting with Salman Khan, I was nervous" - Jacqueline Fernandez". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Francis, Sneha May (24 July 2014). "Salman Khan gets 'Kick' out of 'being Salman'". Emirates 24/7. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Kick Review: Salman Khan, Jacqueline Fernandez Koimoi
- Sen, Raja (25 July 2014). "Review: Kick is Salman's best film in a decade". Rediff.com. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "Salman Khan's Kick biggest opener of 2014, earns Rs. 53 crore in two days". Hindustan Times. 27 July 2014. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "What Will Be The Final Worldwide Gross Of Kick?". Box Office India. 10 September 2014. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez's two characters in roy different from each other". Indian Express.
- Worldwide Collections of Roy. Bollywood Hungama (February 2015)
- "No stunt double: Jacqueline Fernandez's Definition Of (fighting) Fear?". India Today. 16 October 2014. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Riteish Deshmukh–Jacqueline Fernandez starrer Bangistan wraps up shoot".
- "Akshay Kumar's Brothers gets preponed, KJo tells us why". India Today. 21 November 2014. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Noorani, Reza (22 January 2015). "Varun Dhawan, John Abraham & Jacqueline Fernandez to star in 'Dishoom'". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez to star opposite Tiger in Flying Jat Shroff". Bollywood Hungama. 17 September 2014. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- Das, Anirban (3 October 2014). "Jacqueline Fernandes set to share screen with Jackie Chan, Amitabh Bachchan". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez stands of the support of elephants in Sri Lanka". firstpost.com. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez raises 4000 pounds for charity". mid-day.com. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- Tuli, Aanchal (12 December 2014). "Jacqueline Fernandez named "Woman of the Year" by PETA". The Times of India. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez HTC One ambassador". emirates247.com. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez talks brides and weddings". Indian Express. 2013-08-10. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez Unveils Forevermark Diamonds [PHOTOS] - International Business Times". Ibtimes.co.in. 2013-10-17. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Event Gallery: Jacqueline Fernandez Stuns in Striped Outfit at Forever 21 Store Inauguration [PHOTOS] - International Business Times". Ibtimes.co.in. 2013-10-29. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez Launches Gillette Shaving System". yahoo.com. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Riteish Deshmukh-Jacqueline Fernandez starrer 'Bangistan' wraps up shoot". Daily News and Analysis. 18 October 2014. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- Bollywoodhungama http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/moviemicro/cast/id/745117. Retrieved 14 June 2015. Missing or empty
- "'3 Idiots’ triumphs at IIFA | Movies". Dailymirror.lk. 6 June 2010. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- "Winners of Max Stardust Awards 2010". Bollywood Hungama. 18 January 2010. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez—Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Star Box Office India Awards2 2014 full show".
- "Winners of Stardust Awards 2014". Bollywood Hungama. 15 December 2014. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jacqueline Fernandez.|
|Awards and achievements|
|Miss Universe Sri Lanka