This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||21 May 1951|
|Known for||Daisy Barnes|
in Upstairs, Downstairs
Jacqueline Tong (born 21 May 1951) is an English actress who is best known for playing Daisy Barnes (nee Peel) in the period drama Upstairs, Downstairs from 1973 to 1975. In 1975, she was nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series in the Primetime Emmy Awards. In 1982 she appeared in Coronation Street, babysitting for Gail's son Nicky.
In 1973, she joined the cast of Upstairs, Downstairs as the new housemaid Daisy Peel (later Barnes). She played this role for 32 episodes until the programme's end in 1975. After Upstairs, Downstairs finished she went back to theatre and played at Coventry rep. She also had roles on television in Hard Times, Spearhead, Thriller (1 episode, 1974), and, alongside Lesley-Anne Down who had appeared with her in Upstairs, Downstairs, in The One and Only Phyllis Dixey. From February to April 1982, Tong made several appearances in Coronation Street as Jackie Moffat, a neighbour of Gail Tilsley. During the 1980s and 1990s, she appeared in Growing Rich, Middlemarch and David Copperfield.
Tong has also appeared in three films, How to Get Ahead in Advertising (1989), Princess Caraboo (1994) and Angel (2007), and has done extensive radio work. Tong's stage credits include The Winter's Tale, What I Did in the Holidays and Albertine in Five Times. However, like most actors, Tong has also suffered from lengthy periods of unemployment.
In 2000, she appeared in The Bill and The 10th Kingdom. This was followed in 2001 by The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby and The Cazalets. Tong played Lynn Walker in the fifth and sixth Trial & Retribution programmes. In 2005, she appeared in Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky. She appears as Mrs Todd in the 2016 film of Dad's Army.
- "Jacqueline Tong". Television Academy.
- "BFI Screenonline: Upstairs, Downstairs (1971-75)". www.screenonline.org.uk.
- "Jacqueline Tong". www.aveleyman.com.
- "The One and only Phyllis Dixey (1978)". BFI.
- "Jacqueline Tong". BFI.
- "Jacqueline Tong | Movies and Filmography". AllMovie.
- "Jacqueline Tong | Theatricalia". theatricalia.com.
- "Inside UpDown - The Story of Upstairs, Downstairs". Kaleidoscope Publishing. 2005.
- Brian, Lowrey. "Review: Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky". Variety. Retrieved 18 October 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Feast Management clients: Jacqueline Tong". www.feastmanagement.co.uk. Retrieved 7 February 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)