26 May 1927|
Biarritz, Pyrénées-Atlantiques, France
|Died||15 June 2014
Anglet, Pyrénées-Atlantiques, France
|Spouse(s)||Ginger Rogers (1953–1957; divorced)
Dorothy Malone (1959–1964; divorced)
Bergerac met and married Ginger Rogers, with whom he appeared in Twist of Fate (1954) (also known as Beautiful Stranger). He then went on to appear as Armand Duval in a television production of Camille for Kraft Television Theatre, opposite Signe Hasso. He played the Comte de Provence in Jean Delannoy's film, Marie Antoinette Queen of France.
In Strange Intruder (1956), he shared the screen with Edmund Purdom and Ida Lupino, and in Les Girls (1957), he played the second male lead. He also appeared in Gigi (1958), Thunder in the Sun (1959), the cult horror film The Hypnotic Eye (1960), and A Global Affair (1964). In 1957, he received the Golden Globe Award for Foreign Newcomer.
He divorced Rogers in 1957. In 1959, he married Dorothy Malone; the couple had two children, Mimi and Diane Bergerac. The marriage ended in divorce in 1964. He appeared in a few more films and on television, including Batman, 77 Sunset Strip, Alfred Hitchcock Presents (3 episodes), The Lucy Show, and Get Smart, The Dick Van Dyke Show. His last appearance was on an episode of The Doris Day Show in 1969, after which he left show business and became the head of Revlon's Paris office. His younger brother Michel became CEO of Revlon six years later.
- Twist of Fate (1954) (also known as Beautiful Stranger) by David Miller
- Marie-Antoinette reine de France (1956) by Jean Delannoy
- Les Girls (1957) by George Cukor
- Gigi (1958) by Vincente Minnelli
- Thunder in the Sun (1959) by Russell Rouse
- The Hypnotic Eye (1960)
- The Fury of Achilles (1962)
- A Global Affair (1964)
- The Unkissed Bride (1966)
- Special Mission Lady Chaplin (1966)
- "Cinéma. Mort du comédien Jacques Bergerac, ex-mari de Ginger Rogers". Ouest-France (in French). 24 June 2014.
- Jacques Bergerac at the Internet Movie Database
- Article about Jacques and Michel Bergerac, people.com; accessed 14 December 2014.
- Obituary, HollywoodReporter.com; accessed 14 December 2014.