This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||July 6, 1966 (age 52)|
|Alma mater||New York University|
|Occupation||Professor, Rabbi Harold White Chair in Jewish Civilization, and Director of the Center for Jewish Civilization, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University|
Jacques Berlinerblau is a Professor, the Rabbi Harold White Chair in Jewish Civilization, and the Director of the Center for Jewish Civilization at the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University. He has doctorates in Ancient Near Eastern languages and literature (from NYU) and theoretical sociology (from the New School for Social Research). He has published on a wide variety of scholarly subjects with special attention to heresy, atheism, secularism, Jewish-American literature and biblical literature.
Berlinerblau hosts and produces the show Faith Complex which is described as "a dialogue about the intersection of religion, politics and art." In 2010 he launched a second show with The Washington Post's Sally Quinn entitled "The God Vote" which focuses on news cycle issues involving faith and politics. In addition to this work in visual media, Berlinerblau blogged for The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Brainstorm" page between 2010-2012. He wrote about secularism, literature, and various subjects in higher education. His work on religion and politics and the 2012 election also appeared in the Huffington Post.
Outside his usual publications on scholarly areas of interest, Berlinerblau has turned his attention to the interview format in recent years.
His guests in the arts have included:
- Georgetown Professor Michael Eric Dyson discussing hip-hop theology
- Director of the Washington Ballet Septime Webre on homophobia and ballet
- Novelist Cynthia Ozick
- Novelist Gary Shteyngart
- Novelist David Bezmozgis
- Novelist Lara Vapnyar
- Dr. Derek Parker Royal (founder of the Philip Roth Society)
- Literary critics Adam Kirsch and Liel Leibovitz discussing Philip Roth’s career;
Some of his interview subjects in the political sphere have included:
- The former President of Poland, Aleksander Kwaśniewski
- The former Prime Minister of Spain, José Maria Aznar
- Congressman Jim Moran
- The Special Envoy to Combat and Monitor Anti-Semitism, Hannah Rosenthal
- Heresy in the University: The Black Athena Controversy and the Responsibilities of American Intellectuals (1999, Rutgers University Press) ISBN 0-8135-2588-8
- The Secular Bible: Why Nonbelievers Must Take Religion Seriously (2005, Cambridge University Press) ISBN 0-521-61824-X
- The Vow and the 'Popular Religious Groups' of Ancient Israel: A Philological & Sociological Inquiry (1996, Sheffield Academic Press) ISBN 1-85075-578-7
- Thumpin’ It: The Use and Abuse of the Bible in Today’s Presidential Politics (2008, Westminster John Knox) ISBN 978-0-664-23173-6
- How to be Secular: A Field Guide for Religious Moderates, Atheists and Agnostics (2012, Houghton-Mifflin Harcourt) ISBN 978-0-547-47334-5
- Campus Confidential: How College Works, or Doesn't, for Professors, Parents, and Students (2017, Melville House) ISBN 978-1612196428
- "Jacques D Berlinerblau". GU Faculty 360. Georgetown University. n.d. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- Berlinerblau, Jacques. "Georgetown/On Faith Archive, Category - The God Vote". Newsweek.washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "On Faith: A forum for news and opinion on religion and politics". Newsweek.washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- Berlinerblau, Jacques (2012-07-12). "What Is Secular Art? - Brainstorm". Chronicle.com. The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Jacques Berlinerblau". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- Berlinerblau, Jacques; Dyson, Michael Eric (January 15, 2010). Michael Eric Dyson on Hip-Hop Theology (video). Berkley Center for Religion, Peace, and World Affairs and Center for Jewish Civilization. Retrieved April 19, 2019.
- "Septime Webre Discusses Male Ballet Dancers". Pjcmedia.org. 2011-09-16. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
-  Archived January 21, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
-  Archived April 4, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- ""Everything Else is Advertising" : A Conversation with David Bezmozgis" (PDF). Pjcmedia.org. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- ""What Makes a Russian Jewish American Writer?" An Interview with Author Lara Vapnyar". Pjcmedia.org. 2011-12-06. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "What We Talk about When We Talk about Philip Roth". Pjcmedia.org. 2013-03-26. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Liel Leibovitz vs. Adam Kirsch on Philip Roth". Tablet Magazine. 2013-03-21.
- "Faith Complex Aleksander Kwaśniewski on Poland DELETE". YouTube. 2013-06-06. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Faith Complex José Maria Aznar on Turkey and the European Union". YouTube. 2013-06-06. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- Quinn, Sally. "Under God: The God Vote: 'Sacrilege' at the National Portrait Gallery - Elizabeth Tenety". Onfaith.washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Hannah Rosenthal on Current Trends in Anti-Semitism". Pjcmedia.org. 2012-12-05. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- Nina C. Ayoub (May 7, 1999). "Heresy in the University: The "Black Athena" Controversy and the Responsibilities of American Intellectuals". The Chronicle of Higher Education. The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- Malik, Kenan (November 6, 2019). "Book Review: How to Be Secular by Jacques Berlinerblau". New Humanist. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- Phillips-Fein, Kim (August 22, 2017). "In 'Campus Confidential,' a Professor Laments that Teaching Is Not the Priority of Teachers". The New York Times. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Jacques Berlinerblau|