This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Alma mater||Erasmus University|
State University of Leiden
|Known for||reproductive medicine|
|Institutions||University of Cambridge|
Jacques Cohen (born December 26, 1951) is a Dutch embryologist based in New York, U.S. He is currently Director at Reprogenetics LLC, Laboratory Director at ART Institute of Washington at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (a joint fertility program with NIH), and Scientific Director of R & D at IVF-online.
While working with Robert G. Edwards, he reported the freezing and successfully thawing of a human blastocyst for in vitro fertilization as the Senior Embryologist at Bourn Hall Clinic, Cambridge. At the same clinic, he developed methods to treat male factor infertility using in vitro fertilization (IVF). He also co-cultured human embryos with helper cells to promote growth.
Cohen is known for the application of micromanipulation techniques to operate on eggs, sperm and embryos. Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) and Assisted Hatching are now routinely used worldwide to aid in helping couples achieve pregnancy.
Early Career and education
Cohen was born in The Hague, Netherlands. In 1970, he went to the State University of Leiden, where he received a BSc degree in Biochemistry and subsequently an MSc degree in Reproductive physiology in 1978. Next, he attended the Erasmus University Rotterdam, where he obtained a PhD degree in Medicine in 1982, for his thesis named "Interaction between human spermatozoa and hamster oocytes".
In 1982, Cohen joined Bourn Hall Clinic as an embryologist, working with Patrick Steptoe and Robert G. Edwards on techniques geared towards improving human conception through in vitro fertilization (IVF). Robert G. Edwards was the recipient of the Nobel prize for Medicine and Physiology in 2010. It was in Cambridge that Cohen first successfully froze and thawed a human blastocyst for use in IVF.
Cohen also pioneered the use of micromanipulation techniques that are now widespread among embryologists. He developed a precursor technique of Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI), which is now used for treatment of nearly all male factor infertility diagnoses. Assisted Hatching (AH) is another commonly applied technique aimed at increasing implantation rates among infertile couples. Some of his work, such as cytoplasmic transfer, an attempt to boost development using the cytoplasm of donor eggs to supplement eggs from certain infertility patients, and single sperm freezing, has caused considerable ethical debate.
- Reprogenetics  Meet Our Team.
- IVF.NET "Jacques Cohen - Embryo Selection" IVF.NET, 31 May 2009.
- ART Institute of Washington - About Us  Archived 2012-04-25 at the Wayback Machine Jacques Cohen.
- Cohen, Jacques; Simons, Roger F.; Edwards, Robert G.; Fehilly, Carole B.; Fishel, Simon B. (1985). "Pregnancies following the frozen storage of expanding human blastocysts". Journal of in Vitro Fertilization and Embryo Transfer. 2 (2): 59–64. doi:10.1007/BF01139337. PMID 4020239. S2CID 8187851.[non-primary source needed]
- Lai, YM; Stein, DE; Soong, YK; Tang, YX; Grifo, J; Malter, HE; Talansky, BE; Cohen, J; et al. (1992). "Evaluation of Vero cell co-culture system for mouse embryos in various media". Human Reproduction. 7 (2): 276–80. doi:10.1093/oxfordjournals.humrep.a137632. PMID 1577944.[non-primary source needed]
- Palermo, GD; Cohen, J; Alikani, M; Adler, A; Rosenwaks, Z (1995). "Intracytoplasmic sperm injection: A novel treatment for all forms of male factor infertility". Fertility and Sterility. 63 (6): 1231–40. doi:10.1016/S0015-0282(16)57603-1. PMID 7750593.[non-primary source needed]
- Cohen, Jacques (1991). "Assisted hatching of human embryos". Journal of in Vitro Fertilization and Embryo Transfer. 8 (4): 179–90. doi:10.1007/BF01130802. PMID 1753162. S2CID 22604458.[non-primary source needed]
- Moreno, C; Ruiz, A (1998). "Intracytoplasmic sperm injection as a routine indication in low responder patients". Human Reproduction. 13 (8): 2126–2129. doi:10.1093/humrep/13.8.2126. PMID 9756282.[non-primary source needed]
- Reproductive Biomedicine Online Journal Info - Editorial Board
- Jacques Cohen, Ph.D - website bestivf.org
- Doctoral dissertation J. Cohen (Jacques): Interactie tussen menselijke zaadcellen en hamstereicellen - website of Erasmus University Rotterdam's institutional repository, RePub
- Cohen, Jacques; Simons, Roger F.; Edwards, Robert G.; Fehilly, Carole B.; Fishel, Simon B. (1985-06-01). "Pregnancies following the frozen storage of expanding human blastocysts". Journal of in Vitro Fertilization and Embryo Transfer. 2 (2): 59–64. doi:10.1007/BF01139337. ISSN 1573-7330. PMID 4020239. S2CID 8187851.
- Barritt, J. A.; Willadsen, S.; Brenner, C.; Cohen, J. (2001). "Cytoplasmic transfer in assisted reproduction". Human Reproduction Update. 7 (4): 428–35. doi:10.1093/humupd/7.4.428. PMID 11476356.