5 February 1963 |
Northampton, Northamptonshire, England
|Genres||Jazz, vocal jazz|
|Labels||Candid, Audacious Music, Specific Jazz|
Dankworth was born in Northampton, Northamptonshire, England. She attended St. Christopher School in Hertfordshire and is an alumna and fellow of Guildhall School of Music & Drama. She worked as an actress with the Royal Shakespeare Company, the Royal National Theatre, and in West End theatre. She played Cinderella in the musical Into the Woods and appeared the film Shoreditch, singing the song "My Man" by Billie Holiday.
In 2003, Dankworth released her first album, As the Sun Shines Down on Me on Candid Records. This album brought her to the attention of Michael Parkinson and BBC Radio 2, and she appeared regularly on air throughout that year. She featured on Courtney Pine's album Devotion, and performed with Pine at the Royal Festival Hall as part of the London Jazz Festival. Dankworth followed the success of As the Sun Shines Down on Me with the 2004 release, Detour Ahead. Her third album, Back to You was released in 2009.
- As the Sun Shines Down on Me (Candid, 2002)
- Detour Ahead (Candid, 2004)
- Back to You (Audacious Music, 2009)
- It Happens Quietly (Specific Jazz, 2011)
- Live to Love (Specific Jazz, 2013)
- Lindsay, Bruce (15 August 2011). "Jacqui Dankworth: It Happens Quietly". All About Jazz. Retrieved 6 November 2016.
- "It's a family affair: the Dankworths visit the Guildhall School". Guildhall School of Music & Drama. 19 November 2013. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "The Official Homepage of Jacqui Dankworth". Jacqui Dankworth. Retrieved 6 November 2016.
- The Guardian "https://www.theguardian.com/music/2007/nov/21/1000tohearbeforeyoudie.pulp"
- "Charlie Wood Bio". Retrieved 10 June 2015.