|Birth name||Jacqueline Dankworth|
5 February 1963 |
Northampton, Northamptonshire, England
Life and career
Dankworth was born in Northampton, Northamptonshire, England. Before taking to the stage as a singer Jacqui Dankworth worked as an actress with the Royal Shakespeare Company, the Royal National Theatre and John Dexter's Company playing a multitude of critically acclaimed roles. The plays soon turned into musicals and before long Dankworth was playing in the West End. This in turn led her to her own recording career.
In 2003, Dankworth released her first album, As The Sun Shines Down On Me on Candid Records. This album brought her to the attention of Michael Parkinson and BBC Radio 2, and she appeared regularly on air throughout that year. More guest appearances followed, Dankworth featured on Courtney Pine’s album Devotion, which was released on 6 October 2003. Tied in with the release, Dankworth performed alongside Pine at the Royal Festival Hall, as part of the London Jazz Festival.
This new found attention brought her a guest appearance in the film, Shoreditch, starring Joely Richardson and Shane Ritchie. Dankworth appeared in the opening shot singing the Billie Holiday number, "My Man", and later sang "Body and Soul" as a featured track.
Dankworth followed the success of As The Sun Shines Down On Me with the 2004 release, Detour Ahead. Her third album, Back To You was released in 2009. She is currently working on an album that she started with her late father, and appeared in the Les Misérables film.
Dankworth is married to Charlie Wood, a blues keyboardist and vocalist from Memphis, Tennessee.
- As The Sun Shines Down On Me (Candid, 2002)
- Detour Ahead (Candid, 2004)
- Back To You (Audacious Music, 2009)
- It Happens Quietly (Specific Jazz, 2011)
- Live to Love (Specific Jazz, 2013)
- The Guardian "http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2003/aug/07/jazz.johnfordham"
- Original Cast Recording "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgGJWd9JQJw"
- The Guardian "http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/nov/21/1000tohearbeforeyoudie.pulp"
- IMDB "http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354012/"
- "It's a family affair: the Dankworths visit the Guildhall School". Guildhall School of Music & Drama. 19 November 2013. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Charlie Wood Bio". Retrieved 10 June 2015.