|Single by X Japan|
|Released||June 28, 2011|
|Recorded||Extasy Recording Studios (LA), Capitol Records (LA),
Sound City (JP)
|Label||EMI (NA & EU)|
|X Japan singles chronology|
"Jade" is a song by Japanese heavy metal band X Japan, released on June 28, 2011 in Europe, North and South America, and on July 13 in Japan and Southeast Asia. It is the band's third single since reuniting in 2007 and the second to feature newest member Sugizo on guitar, as well as their first worldwide release.
Background and release
With "Jade" Yoshiki wanted to create a song that would show how X Japan is "evolving," but that still retained "the beautiful melodies and aggressiveness." He stated he felt a lot of pressure when writing it, as the band knew they wanted to expand outside Japan into the Western market. The lyrics are entirely in English with the exception of a single line. With the song he wanted to express the pain that he, as well as X Japan, has experienced; saying "you should just accept it and be positive about it."
Originally set for March 15, 2011, the band decided to postpone the release of "Jade" due to the March 11 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. "Jade" reached number one on iTunes Spain, Sweden and Japan. It reached number 19 on Billboard's Japan Hot 100.
A music video was recorded in January 2010 and featured on the X Japan Showcase in L.A. Premium Prototype DVD that September. Directed by Dean Karr, it was filmed as the band performed on top of the Kodak Theater in Hollywood, California, and has the sound of the audience added to the audio.
Written and composed by Yoshiki.
- "Jade" - 6:19
- Toshi – vocals
- Sugizo – guitar
- Pata – guitar
- Heath – bass
- Yoshiki – drums, guitar and orchestration
- David Campbell – orchestration
- Andy Wallace – mixing
- Stephen Marcussen – mastering
- "JADE US release, YOSHIKI US radio show". facttraction.info. Retrieved 2011-07-16.
- "X Japan Releases first U.S. Single 'Jade' on June 28 - Los Angeles News - West Coast Sound". LA Weekly. Retrieved 2011-06-14.
- "Interview: X Japan Bandleader Yoshiki Hayashi Talks Next Album, Neck Braces, and More". Revolver. Retrieved 2014-05-23.
- "Pre-Tour Interview with YOSHIKI". JRock Revolution. Retrieved 2014-05-23.
- "X Japan's Yoshiki to auction off his Kawai Crystal piano to aid Japanese quake / tsunami victims". ampmagazine.com. Retrieved 2011-04-11.
- "１３年ぶり！Ｘ ＪＡＰＡＮシングル発売". sanspo.com. 2011-01-28. Retrieved 2011-01-28.
- "JADE BY X JAPAN TO BE RELEASED IN ASIA TODAY". JRock Revolution. Retrieved 2011-07-16.
- "Billboard Japan Hot 100│Charts│Billboard JAPAN". Billboard (in Japanese). Retrieved 2013-03-10.
- "X JAPAN、LAの空を切り裂いた未曾有のシューティング" (in Japanese). barks.jp. 2010-01-12. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- on YouTube