||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Smith at the Nobel Peace Prize concert in 2009
|Born||Jaden Christopher Syre Smith
July 8, 1998
Malibu, California, U.S.
|Parent(s)||Jada Pinkett Smith
|Relatives||Willow Smith (sister)|
Jaden Christopher Syre Smith (born July 8, 1998) is an American actor and rapper. He is the son of Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith. Jaden Smith's first movie role was with his father in the 2006 film The Pursuit of Happyness. He also acted in the 2008 remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still and the 2010 remake of The Karate Kid. He was also in the 2013 film After Earth with his father.
Smith was born July 8, 1998 in Malibu, California, the son of Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith. He has an older half-brother, Trey Smith (born 1992), and a younger sister, Willow Smith (born 2000).
Smith made his major role debut in the 2006 film The Pursuit of Happyness as Christopher, the son of Chris Gardner, Will Smith's character. For his role, Smith won the award for Breakthrough Performance at the 2007 MTV Movie Awards. At the 79th Academy Awards, Smith presented the award for the Best Animated Short and the Best Live Action Short, along with acting nominee Abigail Breslin. Smith next appeared as Jacob in the 2008 Scott Derrickson science fiction film, The Day the Earth Stood Still, a remake of the 1951 classic of the same name.
In 2010, along with Jackie Chan, Smith starred in The Karate Kid, a remake of the 1984 film. In May 2013, Will Smith and Jaden starred together, playing father and son, in After Earth. In 2014, it was announced that Smith will return for the sequel Karate Kid 2 with Jackie Chan. The movie will be directed by Breck Eisner, produced by James Lassiter and Will Smith and written by Zak Penn.
Smith started his own clothing/lifestyle brand called MSFTSrep. The clothes range from hoodies and T-shirts to trousers and vests. In May 2013 Smith collaborated with a Korean designer, Choi Bum Suk, to create a pop-up store in which customers can buy clothes with their collaborated logos.
In April 2014, Smith was cast in the film The Good Lord Bird, which is based on the 2013 novel of the same name by James McBride. Smith plays Henry Shackleford, a young slave living in Kansas Territory in 1857 who encounters abolitionist John Brown.
Smith's father, Will, revealed that his son sought an emancipation ruling, with the consent of his parents, as a fifteenth-birthday present. Will revealed to the media that Smith's primary motivation is the establishment of his own residence and also explained that his children are not subject to strict parenting conduct: "We generally don't believe in punishment. From the time Jaden was five or six we would sit him down, and all he has to do is be able to explain why what he did was the right thing for his life." However, Smith and his father appeared together on The Ellen DeGeneres Show on May 15, 2013, and Smith said:
The thing that people don't get is everything at his house is free. So I can get anything and everything at his house, so I'm going to be there for 20, 30 more years. He [Will Smith] says that as soon as I have a movie that's bigger than one of his movies I can get my own house.
A November 2013 media report indicated that Smith was dating reality television personality and model Kylie Jenner. Jenner wrote in social media in July 2013, "Although we can't remember exactly when we met, I couldn't be more grateful that we did."
|2003–2004||All of Us||Reggie||6 episodes|
|2008||The Suite Life of Zack & Cody||Travis||Episode: "Romancing the Phone"|
|2016||Brothers in Atlanta||Curtis||Unsold Pilot|
|2016||The Get Down||Marcus “Dizzee” Kipling||Recurring role|
- "Jaden Smith Biography". Biography. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- The Associated Press (June 29, 2009). "Today in History". Seattle Times. Retrieved October 29, 2010.
- Goldstein, Sasha (November 11, 2013). "Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith get touchy in Las Vegas as cheating rumors swirl". Daily News (New York).
- "Willow Smith Biography". Biography. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- "Jaden and Willow Smith support Project Zambia". In Touch Weekly. October 7, 2009. Retrieved June 8, 2010.
- "Actors Jaden and Willow Smith Join Hasbro, Inc.'s Project Zambi as Youth Ambassadors". Project Zambi. October 7, 2009. Retrieved June 8, 2010.
- "Jackie Chan praises kung fu of Will Smith's son". Associated Press. Retrieved July 21, 2009.
- Fox, Erin (November 11, 2008). "Jaden Smith to Take On Karate Kid Redo". TV Guide.
- "Jaden Smith - Karate Kid 2". The Guardian. Retrieved on April 22, 2014.
- "Justin Bieber - Never Say Never ft. Jaden Smith ". YouTube. JustinBieberVEVO. May 27, 2010. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- "Jaden Smith - The Cool Cafe". DatPiff.com. Retrieved on May 17, 2013.
- "Jay Park, Girls' Generation, and more attend Jaden Smith's 'MSFTSrep' and 'General Idea's pop-up store event". AllKPop.com. May 8, 2013.
- Eby, Margaret (April 16, 2014). "Jaden Smith - The Good Lord Bird". Daily News (New York).
- Gilmore, Bryant (August 27, 2012). "Jaden Smith Channels Drake In 'Starry Room' Confession". MTV News. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- Cover Media (May 14, 2013). "Will Smith's son Jaden wants to be emancipated from parents". The Herald Sun. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- "Jaden Smith Jokes About 'Emancipation' Rumors; Says He’s Living With His Folks For ’20 to 30 More Years’". Radar. Radar Online, LLC. 15 May 2013. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Webber, Stephanie (November 20, 2013). "Jaden Smith Treats Girlfriend Kylie Jenner to Gold Necklace: Picture". Us Weekly.
- Diane Garrett (March 13, 2008). "Smith siblings to star in 'Amulet'". Variety. Retrieved February 26, 2011.