This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2007)
|Origin||Southampton, England, United Kingdom|
|Labels||InsideOut Music, Giant Electric Pea, Jadismusic|
|Past members||Trevor Dawkins (1982-1989)|
Les Marshall (1982-1986)
Mark Ridout (1982-1985)
Paul Alwin (1985-1988)
Pete Salmon (1986-1989)
Mark Law (1988-1989)
Jadis are a British neo-progressive rock group. They play guitar-driven rock with the use of synthesisers to add depth and atmosphere, and an emphasis on melody. They were previously signed to InsideOut Music.
Jadis were formed in 1982 and in 1987 self-released the cassette Jadis, which was produced by Marillion's Steve Rothery. In 1992, More Than Meets the Eye was released and was received well in the progressive rock scene.
Jadis are led by Gary Chandler (vocals, electric guitar), although generally the whole group are given songwriting credit. Other original members of the band were Trevor Dawkins (bass), Pete Salmon (keyboards) and Paul Alwin (drums), who was replaced by Mark Law in July 1988. Later members were Martin Orford (keyboards), John Jowitt (bass) and Steve Christey (drums). Orford and Jowitt were also members of IQ during that time.
In the late 1990s, Orford and Jowitt left the band for a while and were replaced by Mike Torr (keyboards) and Steve Hunt (bass), but they returned for 2000's Understand. After completing their album Photoplay in 2006, Orford left the band for a second time because he retired from the music industry. He was replaced with Italian session pianist/keyboardist Giulio Risi. The same year, Jowitt also left the band again, and was replaced with session player Andy Marlow. The band released the album See Right Through You in 2012, and No Fear of Looking Down in 2016. Their latest studio album Starting Point was released in 2017.
The band are based in Southampton.
- Jadis (LP, 1989)
- More Than Meets the Eye (1992)
- Across the Water (1994)
- Somersault (1997)
- Understand (2000)
- Fanatic (2003)
- More Than Meets the Eye (Special Edition) (2005)
- Photoplay (2006)
- See Right Through You (2012)
- No Fear of Looking Down (2016)
- More Than Meets the Eye (25th Anniversary Edition) (2017)
- Starting Point (2017)
- Once Upon a Time (1993)
- No Sacrifice (1994)
- Once or Twice (1996)
- Racing Sideways (Promotional CD to support the "Understand" Album) (2000)
- The Great Outside (Promotional CD to support the "Fanatic" Album) (2003)
Live and compilation albums
- As Daylight Fades (1998) (live)
- Medium Rare (2001) (compilation of two earlier EPs, Once Upon a Time and Once or Twice, plus some additional tracks)
- Alive Outside (2001) (live)
- Medium Rare II (2019)
- View From Above (2003)
- "Interviews of Prog [Gary Chandler / JADIS] - ProgressoR / Uzbekistan Progressive Rock Pages". Progressor.net. Retrieved 24 March 2020.