Los Angeles, California,
|Genres||Pop, hip hop, gospel, modern jazz, classical|
|Occupation(s)||Music producer, musician, composer, musical director, orchestrator, arranger, Music executive|
|Instruments||Keyboards, bass guitar, synthesizer, drums, Reason, Logic Pro, Pro Tools, Akai MPC & MPD, Korg|
|Associated acts||Janet Jackson, Elton John, Diane Warren, George Clinton (musician), Lady Gaga, MC Lyte, Snoop Dogg, Diddy, Anderson Paak, Jill Scott, Kirk Franklin, Mary Mary|
Jae Deal is an American composer, arranger, music producer, and orchestrator in various genres including pop, gospel, and hip hop as well as a professor at the USC Thornton School of Music. He's a session keyboardist, programmer, and bassist in Los Angeles, California. Jae Deal has worked behind the scenes and on stage with several premiere artists including Janet Jackson, Lady Gaga, Snoop Dogg, Diddy, Mary Mary, Karen Clark Sheard, Ne-Yo, Faith Evans, Tye Tribbett, T-Pain, Jessica Simpson and Wynton Marsalis. He has also contributed to the works of Elton John, Jill Scott and songwriter, Diane Warren. Other projects have included performances with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and musical direction for Kirk Franklin’s Youth Ministry at Faithful Central Bible Church.
Jae Deal is from Baltimore, Maryland and began playing instruments at the age of seven. He attended Friends School of Baltimore, the oldest private school in Baltimore, and Baltimore Polytechnic Institute. By the time Jae was in high school, he was already a skillful bass guitar and synthesizer player. By the tenth grade, he was participating in PBS specials, international tours, and performances for the Pope with Dr. Nathan Carter of the Morgan State University Choir. Shortly after high school, Gospel music producer Steven Ford hired Jae to play on two major gospel recordings. The first was Vickie Winans, Live in Detroit. It was her first live recording and it was nominated for a Stellar Award. The second was T.D. Jakes’ Woman Thou Art Loosed. It won a Stellar Award and was Grammy nominated.
Jae Deal attended Morgan State University in Baltimore, Maryland graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Pure Mathematics. He studied classical music independently in his college years. Jae Deal's parallel education in music and mathematics have let him employ a mathematically inclined methodology towards analysis and production of music as he explains in an interview with Jammcard.
After moving to Los Angeles, Jae Deal began working with young pop artists such as Christina Milian, Marques Houston, and Omarion. Jae Deal also performed with his childhood friend, Mario (entertainer) on Good Morning America. Deal continued to work as a live musician, orchestrator, director and programmer and live musician for several tours, and recording sessions. Projects included Elton John, Snoop Dogg & the Snoopadelics, Mary Mary, Karen Clark Sheard and Jill Scott. Other projects have included Christmas specials, the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, performing alongside Wynton Marsalis in Darin Atwater’s Soulful Symphony debut and a year and a half stint as arranger with legendary songwriter Diane Warren.
- Jae Deal produced and directed the performances of the Millennium Harmony Orchestra at the AFRAM arts festival in Baltimore, MD. 
- Jae Deal, alongside Hollywood curator Monica Payne, co-created and produced #FLASHLIGHT, a progressive musical performance series based in Los Angeles. Featured musicians included producers Ethan Farmer, Keith Harris, Ish a.k.a. “Wow Jones” & musicians Kamasi Washington and Tony Royster Jr.. Featured DJs included MC Lyte and DJ Smooth Dee.
- On May 9th, 2019 Deal was the producer, host, and music director for "The Jammjam" event presented by Jammcard honoring George Clinton and Parliament-Funkadelic for receiving the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. Stars including Ice Cube, Anderson .Paak, CeeLo Green, Flea (musician), Eddie Griffin, and Dj Battlecat jammed alongside members of Parliament-Funkadelic.
- G.A.M.E. (Gilmor and Morgan Exchange) - Baltimore, MD - Jae Deal was founder and director of The GAME program, of the 503 Academy, which connected Gilmor Elementary School students with college students from Morgan State University for mentoring.
- UCLA – "Ethnomusicology M119: The Cultural History of Rap (Hip Hop)" - Los Angeles , CA - Jae Deal was a guest lecturer discussing the chronology of technological development alongside the Hip-Hop culture, considering future trends in Hip-Hop technology.
- Los Angeles College of Music 2016 " - Pasadena , CA - Jae Deal wrote the Songwriting 1 curriculum for the Los Angeles College of Music ,served as an instructor of Songwriting 1 and Industry Showcase and provided career counseling.
- Musicians Institute 2018 " - Hollywood , CA - Jae taught Networking Strategies and Artist Development in the Music Business department of Musicians Institute .
Associations / awards
- Adjunct instructor, University of Southern California, Thornton School of Music
- Guest Lecturer, UCLA School of Ethnomusicology
- Member, American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
- Member and judge, Jammcard
- Jae Deal and co-composer Tia P won the 2016 International John Lennon Songwriting Contest in the category of Hip-Hop. In the same year both artists were the first international contestants to win the Australia's Vanda & Young Songwriting Competition.
Endorsements / affiliations
- "Jae Deal | USC Thornton School of Music". music.usc.edu. Retrieved 2019-01-03.
- Chen, Ming. "AN EXTREMELY GOOD DEAL: JAE DEAL". Korg USA Inc. Retrieved 1 December 2010.
- Dougla, Dr. "A Conversation with Jae Deal: Versatility + Consistency". The Preface Network. Retrieved 2 December 2010.
- "KORG Proview, p.23" (PDF). Musiclink Australia. Korg USA. Retrieved 1 December 2010.
- "Jae Deal Discography". DISCOGS. Retrieved 2 December 2010.
- "Thaddaeus Tribbett, Jae, Dana Sorey, Pudge, Parris Bowens - NYE '08". Tye Tribbett. Youtube. Retrieved 2 December 2010.
- "Faithful Central Bible Church Musicians Spread The Gospel Of Reason". Church Technology Resources. Technologies for Worship Magazine - Stockholm, Sweden. Retrieved 1 December 2010.
- "Jae Deal with Mario". Artist Article. Korg USA. Retrieved 2 December 2010.
- "Vickie Winans: The Complete History Of A Gospel Music Institution". Music Articles. Cross Rhythms. Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- "Bishop T.D. Jakes Biography" (PDF). Bio. GodsLeadingLadies.com. Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- "Here's the Deal – Jae's Musically Mathematical Muse". Jammcard. 2018-12-17. Retrieved 2019-01-03.
- "Korg Completes Jae Deal's Sonic Equation". Korg Article. Music Gear Review. Retrieved 2 December 2010.
- "Millennium Harmony" (PDF). The Preface News. The Preface.
- "503 Academy 2000". WJZ-13 News. Youtube. Retrieved 2 December 2010.
- Payne, Monica. "#FLASHLIGHT MC LYTE...Vocal Host MEDUSA This Tuesday Sept 28th". Flashlight. Monica Payne. Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- "Jammcard celebrates George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic at the JammJam with Ice Cube, Anderson .Paak, Ceelo, Flea and more ..." Jammcard. 2019-05-14. Retrieved 2019-05-18.
- Grow, Kory; Grow, Kory (2019-05-17). "See George Clinton, Ice Cube Join Forces on 'That New Funkadelic'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2019-05-18.
- "Edison Schools Names Four-Star School Award Winners; Twelve Principals Achieve Highest Recognition". FirstCall Article. The Free Library.
- "Ethnomusicology M119: The Cultural History of Rap (Hip Hop)". Lecture. UCLA. Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- "ACE / Repertory: Jae Deal". ASCAP. American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers. Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- "Jae Deal-usa". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2019-01-03.
- "SpyCam January 2007 - NAMM". Booth Day 1. Propellerhead. Retrieved 1 December 2010.
- "Jae Deal with Ne-Yo Talks About Moog". Moog Music Inc. Youtube.
- "ROLI". roli.com. Retrieved 2016-04-11.