Jaffa Road (band)
|Origin||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
Jaffa Road are a Canadian world music group based in Toronto, Ontario. The band mixes ancient and original poetry in Hebrew, Spanish and English with belly dance rhythms, pulsating dub grooves, improvisations, and a global mix of instrumentation, including electronica and dub. The band was nominated for a 2010 Juno Award for their debut album Sunplace in the category World Music Album of the Year.
Jaffa Road was formed in 2005 in Toronto. Their first album, Sunplace, was released in 2009. They performed at the North by Northeast festival in 2010 and the Wreckhouse International Jazz and Blues Festival in 2011.
In September 2009 Jaffa Road's "L.Y.G." (Lo Yisa Goy) from the CD Sunplace won the Grand Prize in the John Lennon Song Writing Contest - World Music Category.
- 2009 SunPlace
- "Ideacity: Toronto’s Jaffa Road revives ancient music and wisdom". Toronto Star, By Jim Coyle, June 14, 2013
- "NXNE Review: Jaffa Road, Kobo Town, June 17, Bread & Circus". Panic Manuel, 2010-06-21
- "Wreckhouse International Jazz and Blues Festival featuring Harry Manx, Friendly Rich, Tunnel Six St. John's, NL July 13-16". Exclaim!, By David Dacks Jul 18, 2011
- "Jaffa Road Where the Light Gets In". Exclaim!, By Daniel Sylvester Nov 01, 2012
- "Jaffa Road ready to hit the road". Canadian Jewish News, By Jordan Adler - February 24, 2014
- "Cut Throat Kids, the Strange, Conflicted, MAGNOLIUS Among Toronto Independent Music Awards Winners". Exclaim!, By Alex Hudson Jul 24, 2010
- Jaffa Road Official website