Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University
जगद्गुरु रामभद्राचार्य विकलांग विश्वविद्यालय
The main building of Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University on 14 August 2010 with the Indian national flag hoisted
|Motto||Sanskrit: सेवाधर्मः परमगहनः|
Motto in English
|The duty of service is most difficult.|
|Established||27 September 2001|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Yogesh Chandra Dubey|
|Location||Chitrakoot, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Affiliations||UGC, AIU, NAAC|
Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University (JRHU) (Sanskrit: जगद्गुरुरामभद्राचार्यविकलाङ्गविश्वविद्यालयः, Hindi: जगद्गुरु रामभद्राचार्य विकलांग विश्वविद्यालय) is a private university in Chitrakoot, Uttar Pradesh, India. This is the only university exclusively for the disabled in India and the world.
It was established on 27 September 2001 by Jagadguru Rambhadracharya and is run by the Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Viklang Shikshan Sansthan trust. The university was created by an ordinance by the Uttar Pradesh government, which was later passed as the Uttar Pradesh State Act 32 (2001) by the Uttar Pradesh legislature. The act appointed Jagadguru Rambhadracharya as the lifelong chancellor.
The university offers graduate, post-graduate and doctorate degrees in concentrations including Sanskrit, Hindi, English, Sociology, Psychology, Fine Arts, Special Education, Education, History, Culture & Archeology, Computer & Information Sciences, Vocational Education, Law, Economics, and Prosthetics and Orthotics. It plans to start offering courses in Ayurveda and Medical Sciences from 2013. Admissions are restricted to the four types of disabled students: visually impaired, hearing impaired, mobility impaired and mentally impaired, as defined by the Disability Act (1995) of the Government of India. 354 disabled students were awarded degrees in the second convocation of the university held in March 2010. In the third convocation held in January 2011, 388 students were awarded degrees. All of the facilities, such as classrooms, hostel, laboratory, etc., are accessible and adapted for the disabled. An International Ramcharitmanas Research Center isin the university.
The majority of students are from Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Madhya Pradesh. However, students have come from Assam, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand.
On 23 August 1996, Swami Rambhadracharya established the Tulasi School for the Blind in Chitrakoot. After this, he decided to establish an institution of higher learning solely for disabled students. With this aim, he founded the Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University on 27 September 2001 in Chitrakoot, Uttar Pradesh. The foundation stone was laid on 2 April 2001. The university was inaugurated by Rajnath Singh on 26 July 2011. The planned name was Chitrakoot Handicapped University (CHU), but later Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University was chosen.
The university was founded initially by the JRHU Ordinance, enacted by the governor of Uttar Pradesh on 7 August 2001. The ordinance was replaced by the JRHU Act passed on 5 October 2001. Classes began on 23 August 2001. In 2002, it was granted membership in the Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi.
Special features for the disabled
JRHU was designed to ensure greater accessibility for the disabled to higher education. Students are provided with a disabled-friendly campus and classrooms, at an affordable cost. Courses in basic Sanskrit and computer skills are mandatory. Courses are available in Braille for visually impaired students. Hostel facility meeting special needs of disabled students is provided, including those of the visually and hearing impaired. Hostel facility is provided in the university and Tulsi Peeth, a religious and social service institution established by Rambharacharya.
The logo of the university represents the four types of disability (visual, hearing, physical and mental impairment), along with the Sanskrit motto। सेवाधर्मः परमगहनः। (IAST: sevādharmaḥ paramagahanaḥ, meaning "the duty of service is extremely difficult") and the photograph of the lifelong chancellor.
Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University offers many degrees. B.A. and M.A. degrees are provided in Sanskrit, Hindi, English, Sociology, Music, Drawing & Painting, History, Culture & Archaeology. Other courses include MSW (Master of Social Work), B.Mus., BFA (Bachelor in Fine Art), B.Ed., M.Ed. Special, B.Ed. (Bachelor of Education), M.Ed. (Master of Education) (Hearing Impairment & Visual Impairment), BCA (Bachelor of Computer Application), BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration), PGDIT (Post-graduate Diploma in Information Technology), DIT (Diploma in Information Technology), Diploma in Photography & Video Shooting, Diploma in Handmade Paper, Law (five-year integrated course), BPO (Bachelor in Prosthetics & Orthotics) condensed course, BPO (Bachelor in Prosthetics & Orthotics) five-year integrated course and B.A. courses in Psychology.
Many notable visitors have been to JRHU. Some of them are chief minister of Uttar Pradesh Akhilesh Yadav, former UP CM Rajnath Singh, member of Rajya Sabha Murli Manohar Joshi, chairman of UGC Arun Nigvekar, former union minister Uma Bharati, general secretary of AIU Dayanand Donagaokar, former chief justice of Allahabad High Court Hemant Laxman Gokhale, former vice chancellor of the University of Kashmir Abdul Wahid, sitting judge of the Supreme Court of India Markandey Katju, justice of the Supreme Court of India Dalveer Bhandari, justice of the Allahabad high court Singh and former major-general Ian Cardozo.
Support from other organizations
The creation of the university was highly supported by the Government of Uttar Pradesh. JRHU also receives support from UGC. The registrar, Avanish Chandra Mishra, said that they received help from Rehabilitation Council of India for courses in Information Technology, Teacher Training Programme, Fine Art, Music, etc. The university has been declared eligible to receive central assistance under section 12(b) of UGC Act 1956.
- Placement center
To assist its students in selecting appropriate courses/programmes and getting placements based on their performances, JRHU has a placement center. The centre also arranges capsule training programmes to help youth for proper rehabilitation.
- Distance education
To reach out to students with limited mobility, the university offers distance education programs online, recognised by the Distance Education Council, IGNOU, New Delhi. Like other programs at the university, these are available only for the disabled.
|Name of courses||Duration|
- Von Silvia Kaiser, Marie Fredrich (13 April 2012). "Indien: Die Uni nur für Behinderte". ARTE Reportage (in German). ARTE TV. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
Diese himmelschreiende Ungerechtigkeit brachte einen blinden Guru auf die Idee, 2001 eine Universität nur für Behinderte zu gründen – einmalig in der Welt.
- Durg, City Reporter (30 October 2011). "नेत्रहीन आचार्य की भागवत कथा आज से" [Bhagavata Katha by visually impaired preceptor starts today] (in Hindi). Bhilai, Chhattisgarh, India: Dainik Bhaskar. Archived from the original on 29 November 2011. Retrieved 29 November 2011.
आयोजकों ने बताया कि आचार्य श्री चित्रकूट में विकलांगों की यूनिवर्सिटी चलाते हैं। जहां करीब दो हजार विकलांग बच्चे निशुल्क उच्च शिक्षा ग्रहण कर रहे हैं।
- "About JRHU". Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University. Archived from the original on 4 July 2009. Retrieved 21 July 2009.
- Shubhra (12 February 2010). "जगद्गुरु रामभद्राचार्य विकलांग विश्वविद्यालय" [Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University] (in Hindi). Bhāratīya Pakṣa. Archived from the original on 21 July 2012. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- Subhash, Tarun (3 July 2005). "A Special University for Special Students: UP does a first – it establishes the country's first exclusive university for physically and mentally disabled students". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- Dikshit, Ragini (10 July 2007). "चित्रकूट: दुनिया का प्रथम विकलांग विश्वविद्यालय" [Chitrakuta: The world's first handicapped university] (in Hindi). Jansatta Express.
- "Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Vikalang Seva Sangh". Archived from the original (DOC) on 3 June 2015. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "Education". jrhu.8m.net. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- Government of Uttar Pradesh, Department of Information Technology and Electronics. "सूचना का अधिकार अधिनियम २००५: अनुक्रमणिका" [Right to Information Act 2005: Index] (in Hindi). Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "Home". Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University. Retrieved 24 June 2011.
- Sinha, R. P. (1 December 2006). E-Governance in India: initiatives & issues. New Delhi, India: Concept Publishing Company. p. 104. ISBN 9788180693113.
- Gupta, Amita; Kumar, Ashish (6 July 2006). Handbook of universities. New Delhi, India: Atlantic Publishers and Distributors. p. 395. ISBN 9788126906086.
- "Courses Offered". Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University" (PDF). Singapore: Shri Tulsi Peeth Seva Nyas. 7 March 2011. Retrieved 27 August 2011.
- "Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University, Chitrakoot". Bundelkhand.in. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- "Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University, Karwi, Uttar Pradesh". Questionpaper.in. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- Correspondent, Mahoba (6 July 2011). "विकलांगों के लिए मेडिकल कालेज जल्द" [Soon, a medical college for the disabled] (in Hindi). Amar Ujala. Archived from the original on 11 September 2011. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- Government of Uttar Pradesh, Department of Information Technology and Electronics. "कम्प्यूटर शिक्षा" [Computer Education] (in Hindi). Retrieved 24 June 2011.
- Correspondent, Chitrakut (24 February 2010). "विकलांग विश्वविद्यालय का दूसरा दीक्षात समारोह ७ मार्च को" [Second convocation of the Handicapped University to be held on 7 March] (in Hindi). Jagran Yahoo. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- "औपचारिकताओं के बीच संपन्न हुआ विकलांग विवि का दीक्षान्त समारोह" [Convocation of Handicapped University completed amidst formalities] (in Hindi). Bundelkhand Live. 7 March 2010. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- Correspondent, Chitrakut (7 March 2010). "अच्छी शिक्षा-दीक्षा से विकलांग बनेंगे राष्ट्र प्रगति में सहायक" [With good education and dedication, the disabled will contribute to the progress of the nation] (in Hindi). Jagran Yahoo. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- Indo-Asian News Service (15 January 2011). "चित्रकूट में राजनाथ सिंह को मानद उपाधि" [Rajnath Singh awarded honorary degree in Chitrakuta] (in Hindi). One India Hindi. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- SNB, Chitrakut (15 January 2011). "रामभद्राचार्य विवि का दीक्षांत समारोह - राजनाथ सिंह डीलिट की उपाधि से सम्मानित" [Convocation of Rambhadracharya Handicapped University – Rajnath Singh awarded honorary DLitt] (in Hindi). Rashtriya Sahara. Retrieved 24 June 2011.
- "Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University – Chitrakoot, Karwi". Retrieved 27 August 2011.
- Rāmabhadrācārya, Jagadguru (2011). Gitaramayanam (PDF). Chitrakoot: International Ramcharitmanas Research Center, Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University. p. 2. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- Upadhyay, Rakesh (10 September 2006). "जगद्गुरु स्वामी रामभद्राचार्य की अनूठी विकलांग सेवा" [Jagadguru Swami Rambhadracharya's unique work for disabled] (in Hindi). Panchjanya. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- Aneja, Mukta; Eyeway Team (2005), "Shri Ram Bhadracharyaji – A Religious Head With A Vision", Abilities Redefined – Forty Life Stories Of Courage And Accomplishment (PDF), All India Confederation of the Blind, pp. 66–68, archived from the original (PDF) on 3 September 2011, retrieved 25 April 2011
- Correspondent, Chitrakut (5 January 2011). "प्रज्ञाचक्षु की आंख बन गई बुआ जी" [Buaji became the eye of the visually impaired] (in Hindi). Jagran Yahoo. Retrieved 24 June 2011.
- Mukherjee, Sutapa (10 May 1999). "A Blind Sage's Vision: A Varsity For The Disabled At Chitrakoot". Outlook. New Delhi, India. 5. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- "Jagadguru Rambhadracharya". Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University". Shri Tulsi Peeth Seva Nyas. Missing or empty
- "नयी उद्योग नीति से मिलेगा रोजगार: अखिलेश" [New industry policy will get employment: Akhilesh] (in Hindi). Samay Live. 16 October 2012. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Campus News". Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University, Chitrakoot, U.P., India". Shri Tulsi Peeth Seva Nyas. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "Distance Education Centre (Recognized by DEC, IGNOU New Delhi)". Shri Tulsi Peeth Seva Nyas. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University.|