|Motto||শিক্ষা, ঈমান, শৃঙ্খলা |
Shikkha, Iman, Shringkhola (Bengali)
Motto in English
|Education, Faith, Discipline|
|Established||1858, University: 2005|
|Campus||Urban, 15.75 acres & Second Campus(Under Construction) area is Approx. 200 acres near Keraniganj,Dhaka.|
Jagannath University (Bengali: জগন্নাথ বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) is a government financed public university in Sadarghat, Dhaka the capital of Bangladesh. Jagannath University is in the southern part of Dhaka city near the river Buriganga.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Faculties
- 4 Club and Organizations
- 5 List of vice chancellors
- 6 Notable alumni
- 7 Ranking
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The university has a history that started in 1858 when Dhaka Brahma School was founded by Dinanath Sen, Prabhaticharan Roy, Anathbandhu Mallik and Brajasundar Kaitra. The name Jagannath School was given by Kishorilal Chowdhury, the Zamindar of Baliati in Manikganj, who took over the school in 1872 and renamed it after his father.
In 1884, it was raised to a second grade college. Law was one of the first courses introduced. A common management committee administered the school and college until 1887, when the school section was separated to form the independent Kishore Jubilee School. It is now known as K L Jubilee School. The administration of the college was transferred to a board of trustees in 1907. In the following year, it became a first grade college.
The college started with 48 students. In five years, the roll raised to 396. In 1910, Raja Manmath Roy Chowdhury, the zamindar of Santosh, Tangail, affiliated the Pramath-Manmath College of Tangail with Jagannath College. With the establishment of University of Dhaka in 1921, it stopped admission to degree courses and was renamed Jagannath Intermediate College. This status was changed after 28 years in 1949, when it reopened degree classes. The college was taken over by the government in 1968.
Jagannath College opened honours and masters programmes in 1975. That year the government once again took over and upgraded it into a postgraduate college. In 1982, the college closed its programmes at the intermediate level. It introduced evening shifts in 1992.
It was transformed into Jagannath University in 2005 by passing a bill named Jagannath University Act-2005 in the national parliament.
As an A+ grade ranked university by University Grants Commission of Bangladesh, Jagannath University (JnU) has 36 departments under seven faculties. Every department follows the semester system. At present 601 teachers are engaged in providing quality education to 22,335 students in Honors, Masters, M.Phil and Ph.D programs.
There are six faculties and two institutions in Jagannath University. Today 36 departments are running at JnU.
Faculty of Life and Earth Sciences
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Zoology
- Department of Botany
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Geography and Environmental science
- Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
Faculty of Science
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Physics
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
Faculty of Business Studies
- Department of Finance
- Department of Management studies
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Accounting and information system
Faculty of Arts
- Department of Bengali
- Department of English
- Department of History
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Islamic History and Culture
- Department of Islamic Studies
- Institute of Education Research
- Institute Of Modern Languages(IML)
Faculty of Law
- Department of Land Management and Law
- Department of Law
Faculty of Social Science
- Department of Film and Television
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Economics
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Public Administration
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Mass Communication and Journalism
Faculty of Fine Arts
- Department of Fine Arts and Graphics
- Department of Drama
- Department of Music
Institution of Education and Research
IER started in 2015-2016 session. This institution is at Pogos Laboratory School and College, Jagannath University.
Institution of Modern Languages
IML started at Jagannath University in 2010.
Club and Organizations
*Jagannath University Career Club
*Jagannath University Debating Society
*Jagannath University Photographic Society
*Jagannath University Film Society
*Jagannath University Cultural Center
List of vice chancellors
- Shirajul Islam Khan 20 October 2005 to 2008
- Abu Hossain Siddique 2008 to 2009
- Mesbah Uddin Ahmed 2009 to 19 March 2013
- Mijanur Rahman 20 March 2013 to present
The teachers and students of the then college took active part in the Language Movement of the early 1950s, the mass movements of the 1960s and the Bangladesh War of Independence in 1971.
- Commander BDF Sector 11 - M. Hamidullah Khan - Bangladesh War of Independence 1971ladeshi
- Mofazzal Hossain Chowdhury - Freedom Fighter of Crack Platoon, Bangladeshi Minister, Member of Parliament, Bangladesh Awami League leader
- Abdul Hamid - sports organizer and sports journalist,
- Bhabatosh Dutta - economist,
- Premendra Mitra - writer and poet,
- Anisuzzaman - educationist, researcher,
- Kaliprasanna Vidyaratna - Sanskrit scholar, author
- Haider Hussain - singer,
- ATM Shamsuzzaman- actor
- Brojen Das - swimmer, the first Indian to swim the English channel.
- Imdadul Haq Milon - novelist and editor.
- Nurul Momen - economist
- Mohammed Nasim - Bangladeshi minister
- Zahir Raihan - filmmaker, novelist, writer
In 2011-2012, the Jagannath University made it into the list of "Top World Universities" by the ranking agency Times Higher Education and Quacquarelli Symonds (THE–QS), UK. Out of over 30,000 universities around the world, JnU was placed as 2204.
- Vice Chancellor
- "University Grants Commission of Bangladesh". List of Public Universities. University Grants Commission. Archived from the original on 5 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-15.
- "Unified test system to save on costs and time" Financial Express. Retrieved 2017-08-17.
- "Jagannath University will get new campus at Dhaka's Keraniganj, education minister says" bdnews24.com. Retrieved 2017-08-17.
- "Handbook Universities of Bangladesh 2009: Public Universities 21-31". University Grants Commission. 2009. Archived from the original (DOC) on 6 September 2013. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- University Grants Commission of Bangladesh Archived 6 April 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- "N Lakhimpur students develop hybrid car" Assam Tribune. Retrieved 2017-08-17.
- "QS World University Rankings 2011 (501-600) -Top Universities". University-list.net. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- Official website
- Information Technology Research and Resource Center (ITRRC)
- University Grants Commission of Bangladesh