||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Jagoda Pike is a former publisher of the Toronto Star and former president of Star Media Group. She is also an alumna of Trinity College in the University of Toronto and the Osgoode Hall Law School. Effective October 4, 2008, Pike stepped down as publisher of the Toronto Star and assumed the role of heading Ontario's bid for the 2015 Pan American Games. As of 2016[update], Jagoda is President and CEO of the Homewood Health Inc (2013) in Guelph, Ontario, Canada.
Jagoda Pike joined Torstar Corporation in 1986. During her tenure, Pike has held a number of key leadership positions, giving her a perspective on all aspects of Torstar’s newspaper publishing operations.
Pike began her career at Torstar in the corporate legal department, but joined the Toronto Star soon after. Over the next decade, Pike was responsible for such roles as industrial relations, human resources and operations. In particular, she held the positions of Executive Director of Labour and Employee Relations and Vice-President, Operations and Human Resources. In 1999, Pike was named Executive Vice-President, Torstar Daily Newspaper Group. In 2000, she was promoted to the position of General Manager of the Toronto Star.
In 2001, Pike was named Publisher of The Hamilton Spectator and Senior Vice-President, Regional Daily Newspapers, Torstar Media Group. In addition to her role as publisher, Pike was subsequently appointed president of the newly formed CityMedia Group which encompassed three daily newspapers – The Hamilton Spectator, The Record of Waterloo Region and the Guelph Mercury – as well as numerous community newspapers, published under the Brabant and Fairway mastheads, three magazines, and commercial printing operations.
During her tenure as publisher of The Hamilton Spectator, the paper received the following journalistic honours:
- The Canadian Journalism Foundation’s Award of Excellence (2005).
- Three National Newspaper Awards - Investigative Reporting (2004 and 2005), Project of the Year (2003), Beat Reporting (2005).
Also during her tenure, in 2005, The Spectator was designated a ‘Learning Newsroom’ by the American Society of Newspaper Editors and the American Press Institute – the only Canadian newspaper to receive such a designation.
Pike left CityMedia in February 2006 when she was appointed Executive Vice-President, Newspapers, Torstar a role that gave her responsibility for all Torstar newspapers.
Pike’s community and volunteer activity has included:
- Chair of the Canadian Newspaper Association
- Director of Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation
- Trustee of Brock University
- Member of McMaster University’s DeGroote School of Business Dean’s Advisory Committee
- Chair and President of the Hamilton 2010, 2014, and 2015 Commonwealth Games Bids
In 2004, Pike was honoured for her volunteer efforts in Hamilton when she received the Safe Communities’ Spirit of the Community Award.
A native of Croatia, Pike’s family immigrated to Canada when she was a child. She still has extended family in Croatia, and regularly visits Europe. Pike has lived all of her adult life in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). She is married, and has two children.
- "Homewood Health - Jagoda Pike - President & CEO". Homewoodhealth.com. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Former Torstar publisher Jagoda Pike to lead new Homewood Health™". Newswire.ca. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Toronto Star publisher, editor-in-chief replaced in shakeup". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Awards - 2005". The Canadian Journalism Foundation. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Winners since 1949 - National Newspaper AwardsNational Newspaper Awards". Nna-ccj.ca. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "2 More Papers Join API's Learning Newsroom – Editor & Publisher". Editorandpublisher.com. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Pike is Torstar's new VP of newspapers". Insidehalton.com. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Hamilton 2010 Commonwealth Games Bid" (PDF). Commonwealth Games Corporation. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Jagoda Pike leaves Star to head Pan Am bid". Thespec.com. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "2006 Archives - TORSTAR CORPORATION". Torstar.com. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- Jagoda Pike Appointed Publisher Of The Toronto Star And President Of Star Media Group