|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Farzana Islam|
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Md. Abul Hossain|
|Campus||Rural, 697 acres (2.8 km²)|
Jahangirnagar University (Bengali: জাহাঙ্গীরনগর বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় Jahangirnagar Vishvavidyalaya, University Acronym: জাবি or JU ) is a public university in Bangladesh, located in Savar Upazila, Dhaka. It is the only fully residential university in Bangladesh.
The university was established in 1970 by the government of Pakistan by the Jahangirnagar Muslim University Ordinance, 1970. During the first two years, it operated as a project. Its first Vice-Chancellor, Professor Mafiz Uddin Ahmad (Ph.D in Chemistry, University of Illinois, Chicago) took up office on 24 September 1970. The first group of students, a total of 150, was enrolled in four departments: Economics, Geography, Mathematics and Statistics. Its formal inauguration was delayed until 12 January 1971, when the university was launched by Rear Admiral S. M. Ahsan, the Chancellor.
Until 1973, it operated as a project. In 1973 Jahangirnagar Muslim University Act was amended as Jahangirnagar University Act.
In 2014 the university had a total of 14,500 students, 672 teachers, 206 staffs and 1,200 other employees. The university boasts to have the first ever female Vice-Chancellor of any public university in Bangladesh. Dr Farzana Islam, a professor of Anthropology department, was appointed the country’s first-ever female Vice Chancellor of Jahangirnagar University on 2 March 2014 for four years.
- 1 History
- 2 Location and campus
- 3 Academics
- 4 Cultural organization
- 5 Student's Accommodation
- 6 Notable professors and alumni
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Jahangirnagar University was formally launched on 12 January 1970 under the Jahangirnagar Muslim University Ordinance, 1970 and this days is observed as University Day. At the time of starting, its name was Jahangirnagar Muslim University, and the initial plan was to operate this university as like as Aligarh Muslim University. But after the independence of Bangladesh, its name changed as Jahangirnagar University under the act of Jahangirnagar University Act' 1973.
Jahangirnagar University Act of 1973
ACT NO. XXXIV OF 1973, an act to repeal the Jahangirnagar Muslim University Ordinance, 1970 and to provide for reconstitution and reorganisation of the Jahangirnagar Muslim University.
Location and campus
The university stands on the west side of the Asian Highway, popularly known as the Dhaka-Aricha Road, and is 32 kilometers away from the capital. Spread over a land area of 697.56 acres (2.8 km²), the campus surrounded by the Bangladesh Public Administration Training Centre (BPATC) on the south, and the Savar Cantonment on the northeast, on the north of which is the National Monument (Jatiyo Smriti Soudho)& a large dairy farm on the east. The topography of the land with its gentle rise & plains is shooting to the eye. The water features sprawled around the campus make an excellent habitat for the winter birds that flock in every year in thousands and bird watching here is a favourite pastime for many.
The university is an autonomous body managed by an executive council known as the syndicate. Its statutes need ratification by the senate of the university, which meets at least once a year to do the same. The senate passes the annual budget of the university,reviews its academic matters, and elects once every four year, a panel of three nominees for the position of its vice chancellor. the selection and appointment is made by the president of Bangladesh, who is the chancellor of the university. The chancellor also appoints the pro-vice chancellor and the treasurer of the university.
There are 35 departments under six faculties:
Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Science
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Environmental Sciences
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry (JU)
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Mathematics(JU)
- Department of Geological Science
Faculty of Biological Science
- Department of Botany
- Department of Zoology
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Public health & Informatics
- Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
Faculty of Social Science
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Economics
- Department of Government and Politics
- Department of Geography and Environment
- Department of Public Administration
- Department of Urban and Regional Planning (JU)
Faculty of Arts and Humanities
- Department of Archaeology
- Department of Bangla
- Department of Drama and Dramatics
- Department of English
- Department of Fine Arts
- Department of History
- Department of International relations
- Department of Journalism & Media studies
- Department of Philosophy
Faculty of Business Studies
- Department of Accounting and Information Systems
- Department of Finance & Banking
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Management Studies
Faculty of Law
- Department of Law & Justice
There are four institutes for specialized research and training:
- Institute of Business Administration, Jahangirnagar University(IBA-JU)
- Institute of Information Technology,
- Institute of Remote Sensing
- Fine arts
- Wazed Miah Science Research Center
Jahangirnagar University is culturally vibrant university with number of cultural organizations run by the students and teachers. Some of the well known organizations are-
- Jahangirnagar University Model United Nations Association (JUMUNA)
- Explorers- JU (Facebook Page)
- Jahangirnagr Photographic Society (JPS)
- Archaeology Debating Club (ADC)
- Jahangirnagar University Career Club (JUCC)
- Jahangirnagar Theater (TSC)
- Jahangirnagar Theater (Auditorium)
- Jahangirnagar University Debate Organization (JUDO)
- Jahangirnagar Cycling Club (JCC)
- Business Research Club (BRC)
- Jahangirnagar University Management Club (JUMC)
- Kal Boishakhi
- Jahangirnagar University Debating Society (JUDS)
- Jahir Rayhan Chalachitra Sangshad
- Prothom-Alo Bondhushava
- Sharkar Rajnity Bitarka Mancha,
- Jahangirnagr University Photographic Society (JUPS) (Facebook Page)
Jahangirnagar University with a dozen residential halls a few more under construction is mandated to provide residential accommodation to each and every students with separate halls for the female students. Each hall has its own ad ministration system headed by a provost and is equipped with facilities like playground, rooms for indoor games, the dining hall etc.
Halls for male students
- Al Beruni Hall: the oldest dormitory of the campus, named after Abū Rayḥān al-Bīrūnī, it also has an extension building.
- Mir Mosharrof Hossain Hall: named after Mir Mosharraf Hossain,
- A. F. M Kamaluddin Hall: named after one of the ex Vice Chancellors of Jahangirnagar University Dr. Prof. A.F.M Kamaluddin, a geographer, who died prematurely,
- Shaheed Salam Barkat Hall: named after two language martyrs of the Bengali Language Movement,
- Moulana Bhashani Hall: named after Maulana Abdul Hamid Khan Bhashani,
- Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Hall: named after Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman,
- Shahid Rafiq Jabbar Hall: named after two language martyrs of Bengali Language Movement.
Halls for female students
- Nawab Faizunnesa Hall: named after the female educator Nawab Faizunnesa Choudhurani (1834-1903).
- Fajilatunnesa Hall: named after the first Bengali female graduate in mathematics from University of Calcutta.
- Jahanara Imam Hall: named after Jahanara Imam
- Pritilata Hall: named after Pritilata Waddedar
- Begum Khaleda Zia Hall: named after Khaleda Zia, former Prime Minister of Bangladesh
- Sheikh Hasina Hall: named after Sheikh Hasina, Prime Minister of Bangladesh
Jahangirnagar University has a big library having a huge collection of book established 1985. It is located at a convenient place between the main academic buildings and the dormitories. It behind the monument of "Sangshaptak". The whole area is covered with WI-FI technology. There are more than 110,000 books, 14,000 hard bound journals, and 22,000 online journals in the library. More than 170 students can be seated and study in the library. There is also a cyber center in the premises of the library. Airy with ample glass openings, the library is an elegant piece of architecture and has a collection of over 95,000 titles.
There are many formalities to receive & leave the membership in the beginning and ending of studentship. The future plan of the library authority is to extend the library buildings and make the whole system computerized. Then it would be easier to lend the library books and the system would be more efficient. At first the library's design was more spacious than this time. But the authority did not complete its complete structure. That is why the one and only residential university's students are facing problems while they are using the library.
Jahangirnagar University has its own medical center for the students,the teachers and the staffs. The center provides twenty-four hour service. It is supervised by the chief medical officers with a staff of qualified doctors. The center bears all expenses related to treatment in case of students. But it provides only health related advice in case of the teachers and the staff.
Jahangirnagar University maintains a medical center established in the middle of 1972. It was a room of hall Al Beruni. After that it was moved to the present places (beside the Fazilatunnesa hall & behind the transformation office). There are 17 doctors, 7 officers and 20 stuffs to maintain the medicine center. At present 30 medicine companies supply their medicine to improve the service of medical center. A new medical centre building is being built after a long student movement.
The teachers student center headed by a director the prime role in improving the relation between the teachers and the students of the campus. It is the center of cultural activities of the university. Different cultural groups usually performed drama and cultural programmes at Muktomoncho. Shaptam Chayamancha is a great attraction for the students at leisure period.
In TSC complex, there are an auditorium and a seminar hall to hold seminars, meetings and cultural programmes. The auditorium has an arrangement of 1500 seats, while the seminar hall accommodates 250 persons. It is a fully furnished auditorium for playing drama, cultural activities, international conference & many more.
The university also has a gymnasium, a well equipped swimming pool and a central cafeteria. Adequate bus services between the campus and Dhaka city are also provided to the students & teachers and other employees of the university. Notable among the many other facilities of the university are an amphitheatre and the teacher student center (TSC) that play important role in developing cultural facilities of the students
Notable professors and alumni
- National Professor Syed Ali Ahsan
- Shwadhinota Puroshkar winning Professor Zillur Rahman Siddiqui
- Economist, [Professor Dr. Akhlakur Rahman]
- Theatrical performer Humayun Faridi
- Playwright and theatrical artist Selim Al Deen
- Economist and anthropologist Anu Muhammad
- Poet Mohammad Rafiq
- National Cricketer Masrafi Bin Murtaza and Mushfiqur Rahim, former: Md. Monjorul Islam, Sabbir Khan
|Photos of Jahangirnagar University|
- Mesbah-us-Saleheen (2012). "Jahangirnagar University". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "History of JU - Jahangirnagar University".
- "History of JU". Jahangirnagar University. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Faculties". Jahangirnagar University. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "student's accommodation". Jahangirnagar University. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Student’s Accommodation - Jahangirnagar University".
- "central library". Jahangirnagar University. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "medical center". Jahangirnagar University. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "TSC". Jahangirnagar University. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "auditorium". Jahangirnagar University. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
http://cp.bangladeshinfo.com/headline/farzana-islam-countrys-first-female-vc/ http://www.theindependentbd.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=206545:bangladeshs-1st-female-vc&catid=129:frontpage&Itemid=121 http://www.juniv.edu/administration/vice-chancellor http://unb.com.bd/president-vc
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jahangirnagar University.|
- Official website
- Old photographs of the campus
- A report from the Swedish South Asian Studies Network
- Jahangirnagar University alumni database
- Admission information
- IBA-JU website
- Department of English website