Jai Lava Kusa
|Jai Lava Kusa|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||K. S. Ravindra|
|Produced by||Nandamuri Kalyan Ram|
K. S. Ravindra|
N. T. Rama Rao Jr.|
|Music by||Devi Sri Prasad|
|Cinematography||Chota K. Naidu|
Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao|
|Distributed by||Sri Venkateswara Creations(Nizam)|
|Budget||₹ 60 crores|
|Box office||est. ₹120 crores |
Jai Lava Kusa is a 2017 Indian Telugu-language action-drama film written and directed by K. S. Ravindra. The movie features Jr. NTR, Raashi Khanna and Nivetha Thomas in the lead roles. The movie is produced by Jr. NTR's brother Nandamuri Kalyan Ram under his banner N. T. R. Arts. The soundtrack is composed by Devi Sri Prasad. Chota K. Naidu is the film's cinematographer.
The film was later dubbed into Hindi as The Power Of 3 - Jai Luv Kush for direct telecast on Zee Cinema on 13 May 2018 with Jr. NTR's voice dubbed by Adityaraj Sharma. The film collected over 120 crore worldwide. It is screened in Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival in Category of "Best of Asia" in South Korea.
Triplets Jai, Lava, and Kusa are being taken care by their maternal uncle (Posani Krishna Murali). They seek a humble life by stage drama performances. Both Lava and Kusa excel in acting whereas Jai is sidelined by his maternal uncle due to his stammering disability. Jai, though a member of the family, is generally set to do the household chores and treated as the second class citizen. An instigated and a humiliated Jai sets the drama stage on fire and flees.
After 20 years, all three brothers (All played by N. T. Rama Rao Jr.) are scattered and seek their own lives in different places. Kusa, an expert mugger with a happy-go-lucky attitude mugs a huge amount of money to fly to the U.S. but the plan eventually fizzles out as the money becomes worthless due to demonetization. He happens to meet Lava, a bank manager, who adheres to his principles and runs an ethical life. Lava is an example for over goodness and entangled in many problems with his life because of it, with the fear of losing his job and his love, Priya (Raashi Khanna) his marriage broker whom he had fallen in love when his marriage was fixed and he realised about his love towards her when she didn't talk, meet or saw him. Kusa hatches a plan to go to the bank and impersonate Lava while Lava tries to make Priya fall for him whose marriage was fixed.He says that she too loves him but doesn't accept because of her family and she never said that she doesn't love him and only says to go. Priya soon accepts his love. However, Kusa cheats Lava and runs away with money. Priya disappears, and Priya's father files a kidnap case on Lava Kumar because a family member claims she saw Lava kidnap Priya and run away. Priya's father, a family member, and a police officer arrive at Lava's house. Lava swears he didn't kidnap Priya. Lava then receives a call from a colleague, V.A. Rajini, at his bank and she says that there is footage of him stealing money in the locker room of the bank. Lava, now realizing that Kusa cheated him, asks the police officer to find Kusa. Kusa is already captured by the police officer and tied up inside of a truck, where Lava and the police officer go. Lava confronts Kusa and asks him about the whereabouts of Priya. Kusa says that he didn't kidnap Lava's girlfriend but did take the money. Then, Lava and Kusa venture that if both of them are alive, Jai may also be. The police officer (Saikumar Pudipeddi) reveals his identity as someone close to Jai says that Jai's name isn't Jai and that his name is Ravan as he pretends to arrest them so he can bring Lava and Kusa to Jai/Ravan to kill them.
The police officer narrates the story about Jai after the fire accident. He says that Ravan was the one who started the fire on purpose and that afterwards he fled to a dangerous town in which the police officer met Jai and raised him as his own under the name Ravan. The police officer then tells him that Ravan was trying to gain a seat in politics, but his temper made him an enemy to the public. He has brought them to his house to use Lava and his kindness to woo the people into voting for Ravan. The police officer also tells him that Ravan learned the weaknesses of both Lava and Kusa and stole Priya and the money, respectively. After knowing the truth about his elder brother Ravan (Jai), Lava and Kusa are taken to Ravan (Jai) house. Ravan (Jai) shows Lava and Kusa Priya and the money. Ravan tells Lava his role and tells Kusa that he has to woo the woman (Nivetha Thomas) that tried killing Ravan. Ravan (Jai) says they have to change their outfits like Ravan (Jai) and follow his mentor Kaka, the police officer. Lava succeeds by gaining the love of the public while impersonating Ravan (Jai). Kusa meet Simran (Nivetha Thomas) who is trying to take revenge on Ravan (Jai) for her brother's death. Kusa makes a deal with Simran that she has to act like the lover of Ravan (Jai) so that Kusa can get his money back and Simran can take her revenge on Ravan (Jai). Kusa tells the truth to Lava and Priya about his deal with Simran. Ravan (Jai) overhears the plan of Kusa and Simran and he angrily tries to kill Lava and Kusa. Lava begs his brother Ravan (Jai) to leave Kusa. Just then, Ravan receives a call in which he is told that he is the frontrunner for winning the election. Lava and Kusa hatch a plan to bring their brother back with them. They do a play in which emotional breakdowns occur in trying to convince Ravan (Jai) to be their brother again. Ravan (Jai), overcome with emotion, storms out. Later, it is known that Ravan (Jai) is secretly trying to kill Lava and Kusa. The next day, Lava and Kusa drive the car that has a bomb attached to it. After they leave, Ravan reveals his plan to kill Lava and Kusa. The triplets' maternal uncle begs Ravan (Jai) to save Lava and Kusa. Ravan doesn't listen. Then, the triplets' maternal uncle asks Kaka to tell Ravan (Jai) to not kill Lava and Kusa kaka says he already told him to not kill them the previous night, but he didn't reply. Ravan (Jai) tells Kaka that Kaka didn't tell him to save them the previous night. Kaka comes to know that he told Kusa this, thinking he was Ravan (Jai). Kusa tells the plan to Lava while they are driving and they understand Ravan (Jai) and decide to die.
Sarkar (Ronit Roy), who is seeking to take revenge on Ravan (Jai) for his win in the election stops the car. Sarkar thinks that there are only twins and says whoever reveals their identity as Ravan will be killed and the other spared. Both Lava and Kusa pretend to be Ravan and in frustration, Sarkar shoots Lava. As Kusa is screaming Lava's name after he is shot, Sarkar thinks that Kusa is actually Ravan if the person he just shot is Lava. A fight ensues to try and kill them both. Ravan (Jai) comes and save Lava and Kusa by killing Sarkar and his goons. Ravan is hurt repeatedly and soon dies after the fight.
- N. T. Rama Rao Jr. in a triple role as Jai / Raavan, Lava Kumar and Kusa
- Raashi Khanna as Priya
- Nivetha Thomas as Simran
- Ronit Roy as Sarkar
- Saikumar Pudipeddi as Jai's sidekick and guardian
- Posani Krishna Murali as Jai, Lava and Kusa's uncle
- Nanditha Raj as Sravani
- Hamsa Nandini as V. A. Rajini, co-employee of Lava Kumar in Needs Bank
- Priyadarshi Pullikonda as Obulesh 'obs'
- Abhimanyu Singh
- Harish Uthaman as Raavan's henchman
- Sharath Lohitashwa (cameo appearance)
- Tamannaah (special appearance in the song "Swing Zara")
- Shiju as Priya's father
- Pradeep Rawat as Yadagiri
- Nassar as Dhanunjay Sashtri
- Jai Prakash Narayan as Sravani's father
- Pavitra Lokesh as Jai, Lava & Kusa's mother
- Praveen as Kusa's Friend
- Brahmaji as Rambabu and bank assistant manager
- Prabhas Sreenu as Bank Recovery Officer
After the success of Janatha Garage, Jr. NTR was supposed to do a film under the direction of writer Vakkantham Vamsi which would mark his debut as a director. The project was announced on May 20, 2016. In September 2016, sources stated that the Vakkantham Vamsi project was shelved as the Nandamuri brothers were not satisfied with the script. Later, news emerged that Anil Ravipudi of Pataas and Supreme fame was keen to direct Jr. NTR with some sources stating that he had earlier discussed a story in which NTR was to play a blind person which didn’t work out, but the actor seemed keen to work with Anil and asked him to come up with another script, for which he immediately came up with a new idea. However, in the later stages, K. S. Ravindra of Power fame joined the race to direct NTR and the star hero was to choose between Anil Ravipudi and Ravindra. Finally in December 2016, Nandamuri Kalyan Ram took to Twitter to announce that K. S. Ravindra would be directing Jr. NTR's 27th movie in the lead role. Kalyan Ram stated that he was delighted to produce his brother Tarak’s 27th film on their home banner N. T. R. Arts and that this big budget project will have the very best technical standards and production values. The production house announced that the movie will begin shooting after Sankranthi 2017.
After K. S. Ravindra was signed to direct NTR, the team announced that C. K. Muraleedharan of 3 Idiots and PK fame was roped in to work for the movie. Raashi Khanna was signed to play the lead actress opposite Jr. NTR and a source revealed that she would portray a strong role in the movie. Few days later, the production house announced that the Hollywood prosthetics and Legacy Effects expert Vance Hartwell who earlier worked in movies like Lord of the Rings trilogy, Enthiran, Iron Man, Shutter Island etc. was signed to take care of NTR's look in the movie. It was said that Jr. NTR would play three characters in the film, and Hartwell had been roped in to specially take care of his look for one role and was flown down from Los Angeles to take the measurement for a facial mask.  Devi Sri Prasad was roped in to score the music.
In April, Nivetha Thomas of Gentleman fame was signed to play the second female lead. Nanditha Raj was added to the cast to play a special cameo while Hamsa Nandini was signed to play a character in the movie. Priyadarshi Pullikonda confirmed his inclusion in the movie and stated that he shot for three days. Bollywood actor Ronit Roy, who has aced negative roles in films like Kaabil and Boss, has been roped in to play the main antagonist marking his debut in the Telugu film industry. Anil Paduri of "Advitha Creative Studios" supervised the VFX for the movie. A. S. Prakash is the art director for the movie.
The film was formally launched in Hyderabad on 10 February 2017, at the new office of N. T. R. Arts. The ceremony was attended by Nandamuri Harikrishna, Nandamuri Ramakrishna, V.V. Vinayak, Dil Raju, Shirish, B. V. S. N. Prasad, Yalamanchili Ravi, Kilaru Sitish, S. Radha Krishna, Suryadevara Naga Vamsi and others. The honorary clap was given by Jr. NTR while the camera was switched on by Nandamuri Harikrishna . Director V.V. Vinayak directed the first shot, which was picturised on the photos of deities. Principal photography began in February 2017 in Hyderabad while Jr. NTR joined the sets in the mid of March. A wedding scene between the lead pair NTR and Raashi Khanna was picturized in the surrounding area of Chilkur. Actor Priyadarshi also joined this shoot. Nandamuri Harikrishna, father of Jr. NTR and Kalyan Ram, visited the shooting spot in latter half of March and a picture of him on the sets revealed that one of the characters played by Jr. NTR is a bank manager named "N. Lava Kumar". The team spent ₹2 crore (US$280,000) to erect a massive set at Ramoji Film City where a major portion of filming took place. In the mid of May, DOP C. K. Muraleedharan was replaced by Chota K. Naidu after Muraleedharan walked out of the project after shooting for two months due to ego problems. The movie unit stated that there was absolutely no truth in reports that he chose to leave the project due to ego clash with the director. Bollywood actor Ronit Roy joined the shoot in the mid of June and some action sequences were shot in a stone quarry in Hyderabad.
In the end of June, a couple of leaked stills and a teaser from the movie surfaced online and went viral on the internet. The production house was upset over the matter and requested the fans not to share them on the social media. Some of the culprits were later identified and arrested. It was later revealed that the teaser was not the finalized one and it was just a rough cut. A man named Ganesh was arrested on the charges of leaking the teaser online. Producer Kalyan Ram approached the Cyber crime department and lodged a complaint over this issue.
After completing a major schedule at the Ramoji Film City, the team headed to Pune for shooting a couple of songs and scenes. The shooting was expected to take place for 20 days.
|2.||"Tring Tring"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Jaspreet Jasz & Ranina Reddy||4:27|
|5.||"Swing Zara" (Not included on soundtrack)||Ramajogayya Sastry||Neha Bhasin, Devi Sri Prasad|
On the occasion of Sri Rama Navami, the movie team announced the title of the movie as Jai Lava Kusa. A logo motion poster was released featuring a music score by Devi Sri Prasad. The makers released the first look posters of the movie on the eve of NTR's birthday. The posters showed NTR sporting a twirled moustache and donning a black shirt and pierced ears. The name of the character present on the posters was revealed as "Jai".
The movie unit announced that they would release three teasers, one for each titular character portrayed by the protagonist. The first teaser introducing "Jai" character which earlier appeared in the first look was released on July 6 at 5:22 PM. Jr. NTR took to the social networking site Twitter to release the teaser. This teaser showed "Jai" as a man with a stutter who idolizes Ravana, the demon king. The 2nd teaser featuring the 2nd character, Lava Kumar was released on 24 August 2017 on the eve of Ganesh Chaturthi, that was followed by a poster of the 3rd character Kusa on the next day.
- "Dil Raju to release craziest films in Nizam this year". tupaki.com. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Jai Lava Kusa Telugu Movie, Wiki, Story, Review, Release Date, Trailers - Filmibeat". FilmiBeat. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "Jai Lava Kusa box-office collection: Jr NTR's film collects Rs 50 crore". India Today. 2 October 2017.
- "Ronit Roy to play antagonist in Jai Lava Kusa". NDTV. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Tamannaah Bhatia 'swings zara' in this item song from Jr NTR's Jai Lava Kusa. See pic". Hindustan Times. 2017-09-15. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- "NTR27 with Vakkantham Vamsi announced". Chitramala. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "NTR27 with Vakkantham Vamsi shelved ?". South Scope. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Jr NTR to work with Anil Ravipudi?". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Will NTR do it for Kalyan?". Gulte. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "I am delighted to produce my brother Jr NTR's 27th film: Kalyan Ram". Indian Express. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "PK, 3 Idiots fame cinematographer to work in Jr NTR-Bobby's next title". Indian Express. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Raashi Khanna roped in for Jr NTR's next with Bobby". Indian Express. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Hollywood make-up artist roped in for NTR's next". Greatandhra.com. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Jr NTR to have Nivetha Thomas as his leading lady in Jai Lava Kusa". Indian Express. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "After Sudheer, Devil Is Coming For NTR!". tupaki.com. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Sizzling Hamsa in Jai Lava Kusa". tupaki.com. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Bollywood actor Ronit Roy to lock horns with NTR in Jai Lava Kusa". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "NTR-Bobby-Kalyan Ram movie launched". Idlebrain.com. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Tarak joins the sets of Bobby's 'Jai Lava Kusa' at Film City - Times of India". Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "Wedding bells for NTR-Raashi at Chilkur". tupaki.com. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Here Is Lavakumar From NTR's Jai Lava kusa". Gulte. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Massive sets for Tarak's 'Jai Lava Kusa". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Blow for NTR's Jai Lava Kusa team as DOP Muraleedharan walks out". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Bollywood actor Ronit Roy to lock horns with NTR in Jai Lava Kusa". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Jai Lava Kusa Teaser Also Leaked, Goes Viral". Gulte. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Jr NTR's Jai Lava Kusa leaked online, culprits arrested". The Indian Express. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "SCENES LEAKED FROM THIS BIG FILM: ACCUSED ARRESTED BY POLICE". Behindwoods. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Kalyan Ram lodges a complaint about JLK". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Jai Lava Kusa team heading to Pune". The Hans India. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- Lahari Music | T-Series (2017-09-03), Jai Lava Kusa Full Songs Jukebox - Jr NTR, Raashi Khanna, Nivetha Thomos | Devi Sri Prasad, retrieved 2017-09-03
- "Janata Garage Sentiment for Jai Lava Kusa?". tupaki.com. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Confirmed: Jr NTR's Jai Lava Kusa to release on September 21". India Today). Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Motion poster of NTR's Jai Lava Kusa released". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "NTR's 'Jai Lava Kusa' first look released". Sify.com. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Triple bonanza for NTR's fans as Jai Lava Kusa will have three teasers". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "Jr NTR's Jai Lava Kusa teaser will be out on July 6". India Today. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "Jai Lava Kusa trailer released". Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "Jai Lava Kusa teaser: Jr NTR aka Jai as a Raavan worshiper makes a grand entry". Indian Express. Retrieved 6 July 2017.