Jailbreak (Thin Lizzy song)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
UK single sleeve featuring (L–R): Robertson, Gorham, Lynott and Downey
|Single by Thin Lizzy|
|from the album Jailbreak|
|Thin Lizzy singles chronology|
"Jailbreak" is a song by Thin Lizzy that originally appeared as the title track on their 1976 album Jailbreak. Along with "The Boys Are Back in Town", it is one of their most popular songs, played frequently on classic rock radio.
The song is typical of the band's music, with the dual lead guitar harmony and Brian Robertson's use of the wah-wah pedal. Phil Lynott's lyrics about a prison break are the typical personification of the "tough guys", also seen in "The Boys Are Back in Town" and the regular concert closer and fan favourite "The Rocker". An alternate version of the song appeared on the bonus disc of the 2011 remastered deluxe edition of the Jailbreak album, featuring a short spoken introduction and additional guitar parts throughout.
Use in media
"Jailbreak" is featured in the 2008 video game Grand Theft Auto IV on the radio station Liberty Rock Radio 97.8.
On 3 February 2009, a live version of the song (from the Still Dangerous live album) was released as download content for the Rock Band series as part of a Thin Lizzy pack (which also contained versions of "The Boys Are Back in Town" and "Cowboy Song" from the same album). The 1976 master of the song is featured in the video game Guitar Hero 5..
|Song by Anthrax|
|from the album Anthems|
|Released||March 1, 2013|
|Producer(s)||Anthrax, Jay Ruston, Rob Caggiano|
- American death metal band Six Feet Under covered the song on their Maximum Violence album in 1999.
- Supersuckers performed it on their 2004 live album Live at The Magic Bag, Ferndale, MI
- Dropkick Murphys recorded it for their 2007 album The Meanest of Times, as a bonus track.
- A live cover of the song by Jon Bon Jovi was also used as the b-side to "Queen of New Orleans".
- The Minnesota-based glam metal band Slave Raider covered the song on their second album, What Do You Know About Rock 'N Roll?, in 1988.
- "Jailbreak" is sampled heavily in the Girl Talk song "Don't Stop."
- Master covered the song on their album Collection of Souls in 1993.
- Anthrax covered the song on their 2013 EP Anthems.
- Europe covered the song with Scott Gorham as a special guest during Europe's 30th anniversary concert at Sweden Rock Festival in 2013, a concert which was released on DVD and Blu-ray.
- Gary Moore plays the song, in festival One Night in Dublin live.
- Fu Manchu covered the song as their contribution to a split 7" with Fatso Jetson in 1998.
- Blue Öyster Cult covered the song live (featuring guitarist Al Pitrelli) in 1999.
- Grave Digger released cover on their EP Ballads of a Hangman in 2009.
- Phil Lynott – bass guitar, vocals, acoustic guitar
- Scott Gorham – lead and rhythm guitars
- Brian Robertson – lead and rhythm guitars
- Brian Downey – drums, percussion
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 12 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-07.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Horns Up Rocks: Listen To ANTHRAX's Cover Of THIN LIZZY's "Jailbreak"!". Hornsuprocks.blogspot.com. 1 March 2013. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Anthrax Release Cover of Thin Lizzy's 'Jailbreak'". Ultimateclassicrock.com. 1 March 2013. Retrieved 11 October 2016.