|Member of National Congress of Honduras|
January 2002 – January 2006
|Third Vice President of Honduras|
January 1986 – 1989
Jaime Rolando Rosenthal Oliva
May 5, 1936
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
|Died||January 12, 2019 (aged 82)|
San Pedro Sula
|Alma mater||MIT Sloan School of Management |
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Jaime Rolando Rosenthal Oliva (May 5, 1936 – January 12, 2019) was a Honduran politician, and leader of one of Liberal Party of Honduras's (PLH) wings, and was a perennial candidate for President. On March 20, 1974 he founded the Banco Continental. On October 7, 2015, Rosenthal was labeled a "specially designated narcotics trafficker" under the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act.
His Romanian Jewish father, Yankel Rosenthal, emigrated from Romania to Honduras in 1929. His father married Esther Oliva from El Salvador. Rosenthal held a BS degree in Civil Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and an MS degree from the MIT Sloan School of Management. He was one of the Vice Presidents (known as Designados Presidenciales) during the Presidency of José Azcona del Hoyo (Jan. 1986-Jan.1990) and resigned because of political differences. He was also a Congressman in Honduras, (Jan. 2002 to Jan. 2006). A 2006 study by the Friedrich Ebert Foundation named Rosenthal one of "the most powerful men in Honduras" (along with Fredy Nasser and Schucry Kafie).
Rosenthal died following a heart attack on January 12, 2019. He was 82 years old.
Banco Continental was founded in 1974 and until its closure in late 2015 was the eighth largest bank in Honduras, forming part of Grupo Continental, itself founded in 1929 and owned by the Rosenthal family.
- Las autoridades electas tienen un compromiso grande: Jaime Rosenthal[permanent dead link]
- Historia Published by Banco Continental, retrieved October 12, 2015 Archived November 17, 2015, at the Wayback Machine
- "Powerful Honduran businessman indicted in US for alleged money laundering for drug traffickers". 2015-10-09.
- "Head Honcho of Honduras". luxner.com. 2001-10-13. Archived from the original on 2010-12-29. Retrieved 2010-09-03.
- "El golpe deja un daño económico irreversible, y al PL "dividido para siempre": Rosenthal" (in Spanish). La Jornada. 2009-11-24.
- Dada, Carlos (22 September 2017). "Un zoológico de bestias fundado por un narco asesino" (in Spanish). Confidencial. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- Mejía, Thelma (December 15, 2006). "HONDURAS: Governed by Vested Interests". Inter Press Service.
- Muere el empresario Jaime Rosenthal Oliva Published by La Tribuna
- CNBS PROCEDE A LA LIQUIDACIÓN FORZOSA DE BANCO CONTINENTAL by El Tiempo, October 12, 2015
- "Grupo Continental reacciona ante acusaciones por lavado de activos, published in [[La Tribuna (Honduras)|La Tribuna]], 7, October, 2015". Archived from the original on 2015-10-15. Retrieved 2015-10-13.
- Llegan liquidadores a Banco Continenta Published by La Prensa, October 12, 2015 in Spanish