|Member of National Congress of Honduras|
January 2002 – January 2006
|Vice-President of Honduras|
May 5, 1936 |
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
|Alma mater||MIT Sloan School of Management
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Jaime Rolando Rosenthal Oliva (May 5, 1936, San Pedro Sula, Honduras) is a Honduran politician, and leader of one of Liberal Party of Honduras's (PLH) wings, and was a perennial candidate for President. On March 20, 1974 he founded the Banco Continental. On October 7, 2015, Rosenthal was labeled a "specially designated narcotics trafficker" under the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act.
His Romanian-Jewish father, Yankel Rosenthal, emigrated from Romania to Honduras in 1929. Rosenthal has a BS degree in Civil Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and an MS degree from the MIT Sloan School of Management. He was one of the Vice Presidents (known as Designados Presidenciales) during the Presidency of Jose Azcona Hoyo (Jan. 1986-Jan.1990) and resigned because of political differences. He was also formerly a Congressman in Honduras, (Jan. 2002 to Jan. 2006).
Banco Continental was founded in 1974 and until its closure in late 2015 was the eighth largest bank in Honduras, forming part of Grupo Continental, itself founded in 1929 and owned by the Rosenthal family.
- Las autoridades electas tienen un compromiso grande: Jaime Rosenthal
- Historia Published by Banco Continental, retrieved October 12, 2015
- "Powerful Honduran businessman indicted in US for alleged money laundering for drug traffickers". 2015-10-09.
- "Head Honcho of Honduras". luxner.com. 2001-10-13.
- "El golpe deja un daño económico irreversible, y al PL "dividido para siempre": Rosenthal" (in Spanish). La Jornada. 2009-11-24.
- CNBS PROCEDE A LA LIQUIDACIÓN FORZOSA DE BANCO CONTINENTAL by El Tiempo, October 12, 2015
- Grupo Continental reacciona ante acusaciones por lavado de activos, published in La Tribuna, 7, October, 2015
- Llegan liquidadores a Banco Continenta Published by La Prensa, October 12, 2015 in Spanish