Jaime de Marichalar
|Jaime de Marichalar|
7 April 1963 |
|Spouse(s)||Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo (m. 1995; div. 2010)|
|Children||Felipe de Marichalar y Borbón
Victoria de Marichalar y Borbón
|Parent(s)||Amalio de Marichalar y Bruguera, 8th Count of Ripalda
María de la Concepción Sáenz de Tejada y Fernández de Bobadilla
Don Jaime de Marichalar y Sáenz de Tejada (born in Pamplona on 7 April 1963) is the former husband of the Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo, the eldest daughter of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain. During their marriage, he was styled as His Excellency The Duke of Lugo.
Of Navarran Basque Carlist aristocracy, Jaime is the third of the five sons and one daughter of Amalio de Marichalar y Bruguera, 8th Count of Ripalda, (Madrid, 13 May 1912 - Madrid, 26 December 1979) and his wife (m. Torrecilla de Cameros, La Rioja, 25 July 1957) María de la Concepción Sáenz de Tejada y Fernández de Boadilla (Logroño, La Rioja, 3 January 1929 - Madrid, 13 March 2014). He studied at the Jesuit schools in Burgos, San Estanislao de Kostka in Madrid and Yago School in Dublin, Ireland.
His higher education focused on Economics and he specialized in Business Management and Marketing, although he never obtained a degree. In 1986, he gained practical work experience in a number of financial businesses in Paris, where he lived as a bachelor and during the early years of his marriage.
After a number of years working in the international financial markets sector, in January 1998 he was appointed Managing Director's Senior Advisor for Crédit Suisse First Boston in Madrid. He is also an advisor of Sociedad General Inmobiliaria. He was President of the Winterthur Foundation, which promotes cultural activities. On 21 November 2008 he left as President of the AXA Foundation, former Winterthur Foundation.
In 2001, he suffered a stroke, and largely retired from public life. He officially left the Spanish Royal Family following his 2009 divorce.
Marriage and children
The couple has two children:
- Felipe Juan Froilán de Todos los Santos de Marichalar y de Borbón (born 17 July 1998)
- Victoria Federica de Todos los Santos de Marichalar y de Borbón (born 9 September 2000)
The couple lived initially in Paris and then from 1998 in the Salamanca district of Madrid. 
On 13 November 2007 it was announced that he had separated from the Duchess. In November 2009, the Spanish media announced that Jaime de Marichalar and Infanta Elena would immediately divorce, although a rumour to that effect had been circulating for a year before the announcement was made. Their divorce papers were signed on 25 November 2009. The Duchess and Duke of Lugo got divorced in December 2009. On 21 January 2010 the divorce was registered at the Civil Registry of the Spanish Royal Family. It was officially announced on 9 February 2010 that, following his divorce, Jaime de Marichalar would no longer be permitted to use his former wife's ducal title, and the styles Grandee of Spain and Excellency and that he is no longer considered to be an official member of the Spanish Royal Family.
Titles, honours and arms
- 1963–1995, 2010–present: Don Jaime de Marichalar y Sáenz de Tejada
- 1995–2010: His Excellency The Duke of Lugo
- Austria : Grand Decoration of Honour in Gold with Sash for Services to the Republic of Austria (2 June 1997)
- Italy : Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic (27 June 1996)
- Jordan : Grand Cordon of the Order of Independence (20 October 1999)
- Luxembourg : Grand Cross of the Order of the Oak Crown (7 May 2001)
|Heraldry of Jaime de Marichalar|
- (Spanish) 20minutos.es - The Duke of Lugo advisor of Sociedad General Inmobiliaria.
- (Spanish) ADN.es (accessed 28 November 2009)
- (Spanish) www.elmundo.es Jaime de Marichalar, member of the Maestranza de Sevilla Order, life of the Duchess and Duke of Lugo information. (accessed 11 November 2008)
- (Spanish) elmundo.es Jaime de Marichalar, member of the Maestranza de Sevilla Order, Duchess and Duke of Lugo wedding information. (accessed 11 November 2008)
- Barcelona Reporter http://www.barcelonareporter.com/index.php?/news/comments/spains_king_juan_carlos_eldest_daughter_infanta_elena_to_divorce/
- "Qu'est devenu Jaime de Marichalar". Noblesse et Royautes.
- (Spanish) ABC.es "The Royal House announces the separation of the Duchess and Duke of Lugo"
- (Spanish) Elmundo.es "Duchess and Duke of Lugo divorce". (accessed 17 November 2009)
- (Spanish) Lola Galán. "Is it a State divorce?" Elpais.com (accessed 17 November 2009)
- (Spanish) Elperiodico.com "Infanta Elena of Spain and her husband sign divorce papers". (accessed 26 November 2009)
- (Spanish) "Infanta Elena signs her divorce papers" Elpais.com (accessed 26 November 2009)
- (Spanish) Elmundo.es "La Infanta Elena ya está divorciada de Marichalar". (accessed 9 February 2010)
- Índice de Diviseros
- Hemeroteca ABC
- "Reply to a parliamentary question about the Decoration of Honour" (pdf) (in German). p. 1127. Retrieved November 2012.
- Visita de Estado del Presidente de Austria a España
- Italian Presidency, DE MARICHALAR S.E. Jaime – Cavaliere di Gran Croce Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana
- Forum Príncipes de Asturias, State visit in Spain, 1999, Group photo
- Hemeroteca El País
- Foro Dinastías, State visit of Luxembourg in Spain, 2001, Group Photo
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jaime de Marichalar.|