|Part of a series on|
The Jains have higher literacy rate, 94.1.% compared with the national average of 65.38%. They have the higher female literacy rate, 90.6.% compared with the national average of 54.16%. It is believed that the Jains also have the Higher per capita income in India. Jain community though very small in numbers, contributes a significant percent of Income tax revenue of India.
There are about 110 different Jain communities in India and overseas. They can be divided into six groups based on historical and current residence.
- Jainism in Bundelkhand
- Jainism in Madhya Pradesh
- Jainism in Karnataka
- Jainism in Kerala
- Jainism in North Karnataka
- Jainism in Tamil Nadu (Tamil Jain)
Virchand Gandhi made a presentation of Jainism at the Parliament of the World's Religions in Chicago in 1893, marking one of the earliest appearances of Jainism outside India. The World Jain Congress was held in Leicester in 1988.
- Jainism in Europe
- Jainism in America
- Jainism in Canada
- Jainism in East Africa - One of the oldest Jain overseas diaspora. Their number was estimated at 45,000 at the independence of the East African countries in the early 1960s. Most members of the diaspora belonged to Gujarati speaking Visa Oshwal Jain community originally from the Jamnagar area of Saurashtra., Most members of this community belonged to Gujarati speaking Halari Visa Oshwal Jain community originally from the Jamnagar area of Saurashtra.,
The Jain population in India according to 2011 census is 0.37% i.e. 4,451,753 (Males 2,278,097; Females 2,173,656) out of the total population of India 1,210,854,977 (Males 623,270,258; Females 587,584,719). The tabular representation of Jain population in India as per 2011 Census data released by government in major states is:
|S. No.||State||Persons (Total)||Persons (Rural)||Persons (Urban)||Male (Total)||Male (Rural)||Male (Urban)||Female (Total)||Female (Rural)||Female (Urban)|
It is likely that the actual population of Jains may be significantly higher than the census numbers.
The Jain population in United States is estimated to be about 10,000 to 200,000.
- "Jains steal the show with 7 Padmas", The Times of India, 9 April 2015
- "Literacy race: Jains take the honours", The Times of India, 7 September 2004
- "Indian Government", PIB
- "Jains' contribution to exchequer "astounding"", The Hindu, 20 August 2007
- J. Gordon Melton & Martin Baumann 2010, p. 1555.
- Dundas 2002, p. 246.
- Gregory, Robert G. (1993), Quest for equality: Asian politics in East Africa, 1900-1967, New Delhi: Orient Longman Limited, p. 26, ISBN 0-863-11-208-0
- Mehta, Makrand (2001). "Gujarati Business Communities in East African Diaspora: Major Historical Trends". Economic and Political Weekly. 36 (20): 1738. Retrieved 23 February 2016.
- Office of registrar general and census commissioner (2011), C-1 Population By Religious Community, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India
- J. Gordon Melton; Martin Baumann, eds. (2010), Religions of the World: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices, One: A-B (Second ed.), ABC-CLIO, ISBN 978-1-59884-204-3
- Shah, Natubhai (2004), Jainism, Motilal Banarsidass, ISBN 978-81-208-1938-2
- Facets of Jainology : Selected Research Papers on Jain Society, Religion and Culture/Vilas Adinath Sangave. Mumbai, Popular Prakashan, 2001
- Dundas, Paul (2002) , The Jains (Second ed.), Routledge, ISBN 0-415-26605-X
- hukonchu.com One of the best resource for Jain literature and religious information with the use of latest technologies.
- JainConnect.org Newly evolving Online Portal/Directory for Jain Community.
- Exclusive Matrimonial service for Jain Samaj
- Jain Professional Network 1st professional networking group for Jains all over world
- A portal to connect jains and discuss about Jainism and other things
- JAINISM IN AMERICA By Mr. Yashwant K. Malaiya
- Jain Jagruti Centre, Toronto Jain Jagruti Centre Toronto
- Jain Community, Jain Businessmen Jain Community Website, Jain Information
- Universal Hub for Jains Jain Community Website