Jainism in Maharashtra
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Regions with significant populations|
|Part of a series on|
The Marathi Jainism is basically originated from Maharashtra and flourished here.
Maharashtra had many Jain rulers such as the Rashtrakuta dynasty and the Shilaharas. Many of forts were built by kings from these dynasties and thus Jain temples or their remains are found in them. Texts such as the Shankardigvijaya and Shivlilamruta suggest that a large number of Maharashtrians were Jains in the ancient period.
Modern Maharashtrian Jain communities
The native Jains of Maharashtra today are endogamous communities and generally do not intermarry with the Jains who have arrived from North India. They are all Digambaras and are divided into four large communities:
- Saitwal, originally Tailors and Cloth Merchants
- Chaturtha, originally agriculturists, now engaged in various professions
- Panchama, various professions
- Kasar, traditionally coppersmiths
In addition there are several smaller native Maharashtrian Jain communities.
- Jabade, Jain community in Maharshtra
- Dhakad A small Jain community found primarily in Western Vidarbha districts of Akola, Yavatmal, Washim and Amravati.
Immigrant Jains have a large population in Maharashtra. Majority of them are from Rajasthan and Gujarat. Some of them are from Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. Some of these communities have been in Maharashtra for centuries, and are now indistinguishable from the native residents of Maharashtra. They are divided in following large groups:
The Dakshin Bharat Jain Sabha is a religious and social service organization of the Jains of South India. The organization is headquartered at Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India. The association is credited with being one of the first Jain associations to start reform movements among the Jains in modern India. The organization mainly seeks to represent the interests of the native Jains of Maharashtra (Marathi Jains) and Karnataka (Kannada Jains).
Jainism in Mumbai
Jain Tirthas and Temples
- Ellora Jain Caves
- Jahaj Mandir, Mandwala
- Parshwapuram Jain Temple, Barshi, Barshi District
- Shantinath Jain Teerth
- Godiji Parshwanath Temple, Mumbai
- Nemgiri in Parbhani district
- Katraj Tirth, Pune
- Babu Amichand Panalal Adishwarji Jain Temple, Walkeshwar
- Shri Antariksha Parshvanath, Dhule district, Nashik
- Shree Vimalnath Bhagwan Tirth, Sakri
- Pavali Digambar Jain Mandir, Dhule district, Nashik
- Vighnahara Prshvatnath Shvetambar Mandir, Dhule district, Nashik
- Chintamani Parshvanath Mandir, Dhule district, Nashik
- Pashvanath Jain Temple, Nijampur Dhule
- Manas Mandir at Shahapur
- Shri 1008 Mallinath Digamber Jain Atishaya Kshetra, Shirad Shahpur, Maharashtra 431705
- Shri vimalnatha swami jain shwetambar temple in Bibwewadi, Pune
- Kachner jain temple in Aurangabad, Maharashtra
- Paithan Jain Tirth
- Trimurti Digambar Jain Mandir in Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Borivali
- Shree Mahavir Jain Temple in Pimpri-Chinchwad near pune
- Shri Digamber Jain Siddha Kshetra Kunthalgiri, Dist. Osmanabad, Maharashtra
- Dharmachakra Prabhav Tirtha, Nasik
- Adinath shwetambar Jain mandir, Solapur
- Dhrangaon, District Jalgaon
- Shri Anant Nath Jain mandir, masjid bunder, Mumbai
- Shri Adinath Jain mandir, masjid bunder, Mumbai
- Shri 1008 Adinath (Babji Prabhu) Digamber Jain Atishay Shretra Digras Dist.Yavtmal
- Digambar Jain Mandir, Dhore Nagar, Lane no -2, Old Sangvi, Pune.
- Digambar Jain Mandir, Near Chandani Chowk, Bavdhan, Pune.
- Digambar Jain Mandir, Nigdi, Pune.
- Shri Neminath Bhagwan Digamber Jain Atishaya Kshetra Jainendra Navagarh – Ukhlad, Dist. Parbhani
- Shri Adinath Swami Dig. Jain Samsthan (Atishaya Kshetra) Bhatkuli Jain Place & Post – Bhatkuli Jain, Taluka – Bhatkuli Jain, Dist. – Amaravati (Maharashtra)
Jain cave in Ellora
Shree Dharmachakra Prabhav Tirth at Gajpanth
Jain temple in Kumbhoj
Jain Pavapuri Jal Mandir in Katraj, Pune
Walkeshwar Jain temple in Mumbai
Shri Godiji Parshwanth, Mumbai
Lord Mahaveer at Dharashiv Caves
Office of the Hindi Granth Karyalay, Mumbai, publishers of books on Jainism
Notable Marathi Jains
- V. Shantaram
- Sandhya Shantaram
- Kiran Shantaram
- Karmaveer Bhaurao Patil
- Bal Patil
- Suresh Jain
- Vaibhav Mangle
- Raju Shetti
- Vidyadhar Johrapurkar
- Nirmalkumar Phadkule
- People of India: Maharashtra - Kumar Suresh Singh, Anthropological Survey of India - Google Boeken. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- The Castes and Tribes of H.E.H. the Nizam's Dominions - Syed Siraj Ul Hassan - Google Boeken. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- People of India: Maharashtra - Kumar Suresh Singh - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- The Assembly of Listeners: Jains in Society - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- A World Religions Reader - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- Jahaj mandir Archived 13 September 2014 at the Wayback Machine.