Jaipur International Airport
|Jaipur International Airport
जयपुर अन्तर्राष्ट्रीय हवाई अड्डा
|IATA: JAI – ICAO: VIJP|
|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Location||Jaipur, Rajasthan, India|
|Elevation AMSL||1,263 ft / 385 m|
Jaipur International Airport (IATA: JAI, ICAO: VIJP) is the primary airport serving Jaipur, the capital of the Indian state of Rajasthan. Jaipur International Airport has been declared as the World's Best Airport in the category of 2 to 5 million passengers per annum for 2015 according to Airports Council International.
It is located in the southern suburb of Sanganer, 13 km (8.1 mi) from Jaipur. The airport was granted the status of international airport on 29 December 2005. The civil apron can accommodate 14 aircraft the size of an Airbus A320 and the new terminal building can handle up to 1000 passengers at a time.
Layout and infrastructure
The new domestic terminal building at the airport was inaugurated on 1 July 2009. The new terminal has an area of 22,950 square metres (247,000 sq ft) with facilities such as central heating system, central air conditioning, inline x-ray baggage inspection system integrated with the departure conveyor system, inclined arrival baggage claim carousels, escalators, public address system, flight information display system, CCTV for surveillance, airport check-in counters with Common Use Terminal Equipment (CUTE), car parking, etc. The International Terminal building has peak hour passenger handling capacity of 500 passengers and annual handling capacity of 400,000. The entrance gate is made of sandstone and Dholpur stones along with Rajasthani paintings on the walls. Runway expansion work at the airport started in February 2014 and was completed by July 2015 at an estimated cost of Rs.98 crore. The expansion allows the airport to accommodate wide-body aircraft.
Airlines and destinations
|AirAsia India||Bengaluru, Pune||2|
|Air Costa||Bengaluru, Chennai, Coimbatore, Hyderabad||2|
|Air India||Delhi, Mumbai||2|
|Air India Express||Dubai-International||2|
|Etihad Airways||Abu Dhabi||2|
|IndiGo||Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pune, Srinagar||2|
|Jet Airways||Delhi, Mumbai||2|
|Scoot||Singapore (begins 3 October 2016)||2|
|SpiceJet||Delhi, Dubai-International, Udaipur||2|
In April 2016, the first airport lounge 'Club One Class Lounge' opened on first floor at International Terminal 2.
Beginning from July 16, 2012, Terminal 1 was closed to passenger traffic and was remodeled to handle solely cargo operations.  The cargo terminal is adjacent to the old passenger terminal building and has an area of approximately 700 square metres (7,500 sq ft). The cargo facility is being provided by Rajasthan Small Scale Industries, a public sector undertaking of Government of Rajasthan.
- On 18 February 1969, Douglas DC-3 VT-CJH of Indian Airlines crashed on take-off on a scheduled passenger flight. The aircraft was overloaded and take-off was either downwind or with a crosswind. All 30 people on board survived.
- On 9 August 1971, Vickers Viscount VT-DIX of Indian Airlines was damaged beyond economic repair when it overran the runway. The aircraft landed with a tailwind on a wet runway.
- On 5 January 2014, Flight AI-890 Airbus A320 VT-ESH of Air India from Imphal to Delhi via Guwahati was diverted to Jaipur airport due to heavy fog in Delhi. The rear tyre of the plane burst during landing, damaging the right wing. The plane received substantial damage and the aircraft was written off. All 173 passengers and 6 crew members survived.
- ASQ awards 2015 by Airports Council International
- Airports in India
- List of busiest airports in India by passenger traffic
- "Traffic Statistics-2015" (PDF). AAI. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Aircraft Movements-2015" (PDF). AAI. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Cargo Statistics-2015" (PDF). AAI. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Airport Service Quality Awards".
- "Jaipur Airport". Airports Authority of India. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Jaipur airport to get international status". The Times of India. 29 December 2005.
- "Jaipur airport expansion". 11 July 2011. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "New domestic terminal set for take-off on 1 July". The Times of India. 21 June 2009.
- "Passengers welcomed on Terminal-2". The Times of India. 2 July 2009.
- "Survey work on expansion of Jaipur International Airport runway begins". Times of India. 2 February 2014.
- "Scoot Launches India Service from late-May 2016". airlineroute. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- "Terminal 1 ¦ Rajasthan for you". Rajasthan for you blog. Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- "VT-CJH Accident Description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 23 January 2011.
- "Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 5 September 2009.
- "ASN Aircraft accident Airbus A320-231 VT-ESH Jaipur International Airport". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- Monalisa Arthur. "Air India pilot greeted passengers after fog-stricken plane's dramatic brush with death" (23:41 GMT, 6 January 2014). Daily Mail Online. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- "First person account: Air India passenger on Guwahati-Delhi flight recounts horror : India, News - India Today" (7 January 2014). India Today. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jaipur International Airport.|