Jair da Costa
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Full name||Jair da Costa|
|Date of birth||9 July 1940|
|Place of birth||Santo André, Brazil|
|Height||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|Playing position||Right Winger|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Jair started his club career with Portuguesa as a youth, making his senior debut against XV Novembro de Jaú. Whilst with Portugesa he helped them to the runners-up spot in the 1960 Campeonato Paulista.
Jair moved to Italian side Internazionale in November 1962, and went on to play a total of 260 senior games for the Milan club in two spells (1962–1967 and 1968–1972). He was notably a key member of Helenio Herrera's Grande Inter squad on the right wing, and won four Serie A titles (two of which were won consecutively), and two European Cups in 1964 and 1965, as well as consecutive Intercontinental Cups in 1964 and 1965, during his time at the club.
In between his two spells with Inter, Jair also spent the 1967–68 season with A.S. Roma. Following his time in Italy, he later returned to Brazil in 1972 and played for Santos FC until 1974, winning the Campeonato Paulista in 1973. He ended his career in Canada in 1975, with Windsor Star.
At international level, Jair only obtained one cap for the Brazil national football team, due to the presence of Garrincha in his position; his only appearance came in a 3–1 friendly win over Wales in São Paulo, on 16 May 1962. He was also a non-playing member of the Brazilian team that won the 1962 FIFA World Cup.
Style of play
An extremely fast and agile winger, with quick feet and good technique, Jair was also known for his powerful striking ability and his great pace on the ball; due to these abilities, he was also capable of functioning as a striker.
- Serie A: 1962–63, 1964–65, 1965–66, 1970–71
- European Cup: 1963–64, 1964–65
- Intercontinental Cup: 1964, 1965
- Campeonato Paulista: 1973
- Jair da Costa at National-Football-Teams.com
- "Jair da Costa" (in Portuguese). Sitedalusa.com. 7 October 2010. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- Pietro Cabras (2 April 2009). "Ecco Jair, la freccia nera della Grande Inter" (in Italian). Il Corriere dello Sport. Retrieved 15 November 2015.
- "Da Costa Jair". Playing stats by season. inter.it archive. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- 1963–64 European Cup at RSSSF
- 1964–65 European Cup at RSSSF
- "Jair da Costa". FIFA. Retrieved 15 November 2015.
|This biographical article related to a Brazilian association football midfielder born in the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|