Alexander in 2018
|No. 23 – Green Bay Packers|
|Born:||February 9, 1997|
Charlotte, North Carolina
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||196 lb (89 kg)|
|High school:||Rocky River|
(Mint Hill, North Carolina)
|NFL Draft:||2018 / Round: 1 / Pick: 18|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Jaire Zakar Alexander (born February 9, 1997) is an American football cornerback for the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Louisville, and was drafted by the Packers in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft.
Alexander attended Rocky River High School in Charlotte, North Carolina. While there, he played high school football for the Ravens. He originally committed to the University of South Carolina to play college football but changed his commitment to the University of Louisville.
Alexander played at Louisville from 2015 to 2017 under head coach Bobby Petrino. During his career, he had 77 tackles and seven interceptions. For the 2016 season, he was named Second-team All-ACC. After his junior season in 2017, he decided to forgo his senior year and enter the draft. He decided not to play in the 2017 TaxSlayer Bowl with the rest of the Louisville team due to persistent injury issues during the season.
On December 22, 2017, Alexander announced his decision to forgo his remaining eligibility and enter the 2018 NFL Draft. As a result of his decision, he chose not to play in the TaxSlayer Bowl. He attended the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis and completed all of the combine and positional drills. Among cornerbacks, Alexander finished third in the short shuttle, finished fifth in the three-cone still, finished sixth in the 40-yard dash, and tied for fourth in the broad jump. On March 29, 2018, Alexander participated at Louisville’s pro day, but opted to stand on his combine numbers and only performed positional drills. At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, Alexander was projected to be a first round pick by NFL draft experts and scouts. He was ranked as the top cornerback prospect in the draft by NFL analyst Mike Mayock and was ranked the third best cornerback by DraftScout.com.
|Jaire Alexander's NFL Combine workout|
|Alexander runs a 4.38s 40-yard dash|
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 10 1⁄4 in
|31 1⁄8 in
|9 1⁄2 in
|4.38 s||1.52 s||2.55 s||3.98 s||6.71 s||35 in
|10 ft 7 in
|All values are from NFL Combine|
The Green Bay Packers selected Alexander in the first round (18th overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft. The Packers traded their first (27th overall), third (76th overall), and sixth round picks (186th overall) to the Seattle Seahawks in exchange for their first (18th overall) and seventh round picks (248th overall) in order to draft Alexander 18th overall.
|Packer draft Jaire Alexander 18th overall|
Throughout training camp, Alexander competed to be a starting cornerback against Davon House, Tramon Williams, Kevin King, and Josh Jackson. Head coach Mike McCarthy named Alexander the fourth cornerback on the depth chart to start the regular season, behind Davon House, Kevin King, and Tramon Williams.
He made his professional regular season debut in the Green Bay Packers’ season-opener against the Chicago Bears and recorded three solo tackles during their 24–23 victory. On September 16, 2018, Alexander recorded eight combined tackles and was credited with half a sack during a 29–29 tie with the Minnesota Vikings in a Week 2. During the fourth quarter, Alexander intercepted a pass by Minnesota Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins, but the play was negated due to a roughing the passer call on teammate Clay Matthews III. On September 30, 2018, Alexander made one tackle, broke up a pass, and made his first career interception during a 22–0 win against the Buffalo Bills in Week 4. Alexander intercepted a pass attempt by Bills’ quarterback Josh Allen, that was intended for wide receiver Zay Jones, during the second quarter. Alexander was inactive for two games (Weeks 5–6) due to a groin injury.
NFL career statistics
- Morgan, Emmanuel (July 25, 2017). "Defensive back finds stardom at Louisville, but Charlotte still tugs at his heart". Charlotte Observer. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- Connolly, Matt (July 13, 2017). "All-ACC CB Jaire Alexander details why he is at Louisville and not USC". The State. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- "Petrino 'encouraged' by Jaire Alexander's progress, but no update on his status". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved October 29, 2018.
- Adelson, Andrea (December 22, 2017). "Louisville CB Jaire Alexander enters draft, won't play in TaxSlayer Bowl". espn. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- Estes, Gentry (December 22, 2017). "Louisville football's Jaire Alexander declares for 2018 NFL draft, won't play in TaxSlayer Bowl". Courier-Journal. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- Adelson, Andrea (December 22, 2017). "Louisville CB Jaire Alexander enters draft, won't play in TaxSlayer Bowl". espn.com. Retrieved November 3, 2018.
- "2018 NFL Combine Results". NFL.com. Retrieved November 3, 2018.
- "*Jaire Alexander, DS #3 CB, Louisville". draftscout.com. Retrieved November 3, 2018.
- "Mike Mayock's 2018 NFL Draft top 100 prospect rankings". nfl.com. April 24, 2018. Retrieved November 3, 2018.
- "NFL Draft & Combine Profile – Jaire Alexander". NFL.com. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- "Jaire Alexander – Louisville, CB : 2018 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile". DraftScout.com. Archived from the original on April 27, 2018. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- "Packers draft Jaire Alexander at No. 18 after trading up". NFL.com. April 26, 2018. Retrieved November 3, 2018.
- Spofford, Mike (April 26, 2018). "Packers trade up, select Louisville CB Jaire Alexander". Packers.com. Archived from the original on April 27, 2018. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- "Spotrac.com: Jaire Alexander contract". Spotrac.com. Retrieved November 3, 2018.
- "Packers sign 2018 first-round pick Jaire Alexander". NFL. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- Finup, Cole (May 5, 2018). "A Look at the Green Bay Packers Cornerback Competition". lastwordonprofootball.com. Retrieved November 3, 2018.
- "Packers 2018 Depth Chart is Out". TotalPackers.com. September 5, 2018. Retrieved November 3, 2018.
- "Jaire Alexander INT gets called back for Matthews roughing passer penalty". NFL.com. Retrieved October 29, 2018.
- "WATCH: Jaire Alexander picks off fellow 1st-round pick Josh Allen". USA Today. September 30, 2018. Retrieved October 29, 2018.
- "Packers WR Geronimo Allison, CB Jaire Alexander exit with injuries". packerswire.usatoday.com. Retrieved November 3, 2018.