|Arizona Diamondbacks – No. 33|
Born: July 22, 1991|
|April 4, 2016, for the Arizona Diamondbacks|
|MLB statistics |
(through June 23, 2018)
|Earned run average||4.03|
|Representing United States|
|2015 WBSC Premier12|
Jake Dalton Barrett (born July 22, 1991) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks of Major League Baseball (MLB). He played college baseball for Arizona State University.
Barrett began playing baseball when he was 10 years old. He attended Desert Ridge High School, and played for the school's baseball team. As a junior, he was named All-State. After the season, he played for the United States national baseball team in the 2008 World Junior Baseball Championship. As a senior, Barrett led his team to the state championship, throwing as hard as 95 miles per hour (153 km/h).
The Toronto Blue Jays selected Barrett in the third round of the 2009 MLB Draft, but he did not sign. He enrolled at Arizona State University, and played college baseball for the Arizona State Sun Devils baseball team.
The Arizona Diamondbacks chose Barrett in the third round of the 2012 MLB Draft. He signed and played for the South Bend Silver Hawks of the Class A Midwest League in 2012, and the Visalia Rawhide of the Class A-Advanced California League and Mobile BayBears of the Class AA Southern League in 2013. After the 2013 season, the Diamondbacks assigned him to the Salt River Rafters of the Arizona Fall League (AFL), and he appeared in the AFL Fall Stars Game. He pitched for Mobile and the Reno Aces of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League in 2014, where he had a combined 3.09 earned run average. He pitched for Mobile and Reno again in 2015. The Diamondbacks added him to their 40-man roster after the season.
Barrett was chosen for the United States national baseball team's roster for the 2015 Pan American Games. He made his major league debut with the Diamondbacks on April 4, 2016. In 68 games, Barrett posted an ERA of 3.49 with 4 saves. The following two seasons, Barrett has struggled with consistency and injury, being limited to 35 total appearances between 2017 and 2018.
- Garcia, Jose (June 12, 2009). "Pitcher is SE Valley Player of Year". Arizona Republic. Retrieved November 15, 2013. (subscription required)
- Garcia, Jose (May 31, 2009). "Barrett Stays 'Humble'". Arizona Republic. Retrieved November 15, 2013. (subscription required)
- "Desert Ridge (Mesa, Ariz.) ace Jake Barrett has been known to punish himself with grueling runs following a loss - so it's a good thing he wins nearly every time out. - ESPN". Espn.go.com. June 3, 2009. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- "Arizona H.S. stars in spotlight for MLB draft". azcentral.com. Retrieved March 6, 2015.
- "2009 draft marks a turning point in many ways for Toronto Blue Jays - Baseball - The News". Ngnews.ca. August 19, 2009. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- Zach Buchanan, azcentral sports (February 21, 2015). "Diamondbacks' Jake Barrett hoping fitter form leads to big-league shot". azcentral. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- "D-Backs prospects Jake Barrett, Matt Stites manage to earn spots as Arizona Fall League Stars". azcentral.com. Retrieved March 6, 2015.
- D-backs add trio to roster, DFA Webster
- "USABaseball.com: News: 2015 U.S. Pan Am Men's Baseball roster announced". usabaseball.com. Retrieved July 1, 2015.