4 February 1990 |
Nambour, Queensland, Australia
|Height||175 cm (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||92 kg (14 st 7 lb)|
As of 31 March 2017
Source: Rugby League Project
Jake Friend (born 4 February 1990) is an Australian rugby league player and current captain for the Sydney Roosters in the National Rugby League. He plays as a hooker. He has played one game for the Australia national rugby league team.
First grade career
Jake finished the 2010 season as the Roosters starting Hooker in the 2010 NRL Grand Final. However the Roosters were defeated 32-8 by the Dragons. Friend's good form continued in 2011 and despite a lacklustre year by the team, he was awarded the club's highest individual honour, the Jack Gibson Medal, after a season of consistent performances.
2013 was a true breakout season for Friend. he maintained a high work rate in defence with an average of 37 tackles a game. He played for the Roosters in their 2013 Grand Final win.
He has continued his form in 2014, which started with a starring role for the Sydney Roosters in the 2014 World Club Challenge at hooker, where he was named man of the match in the Australian premiers' 36-14 World Champion victory over the Wigan Warriors in Sydney. He also won the Ashton Collier medal for Man of the Match in the 2014 ANZAC Game between the Sydney Roosters and St George Illawarra Dragons.
- NRL Grand Final winner (2013)
- NRL Minor Premiership (2013)
- NRL Minor Premiership (2014)
- World Club Challenge winner (2014)
- World Club Challenge man of the match (2014)
- Ashton Collier medallist (2014)
On 27 June 2009, Friend along with Sandor Earl were charged with assaulting a woman in Sydney. It was alleged Friend and Earl punched the niece of ABC radio commentator David Morrow at The Tank nightclub in The Rocks.
On 13 December 2009, Friend was arrested and charged by police following an altercation with a taxi driver. As a result, the Roosters terminated his contract. In May 2010, Friend was re-instated in the Roosters team after counselling and rehabilitation.
- Jackson, Glenn; Walter, Brad (14 December 2009). "Career in the balance: Roosters suspend Jake Friend". The Sydney Morning Herald.
- "Roosters hooker Friend arrested again". Brisbane Times. 13 December 2009. Retrieved 13 December 2009.
- "Friend on prescription drugs charges". The Sydney Morning Herald. 6 June 2010. Retrieved 6 June 2010.